House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

The Embedded Sense Of Entitlement - Example No 431

Wanted to give another example of why Labour was so popular amonst the voters.....from a chat with a student and an adviser (actually more that I butted in when I heard their conversation.

Basically, if you are classed as 'disabled', as a student, you get more stuff. Free laptops, for example. Oh, you also can get more time to complete exams, or in some cases additional assistance in completing tests, but that is for another day's rant.

Anyway, there is a whole industry advising students on whether they are 'disabled'. The student (fit and healthy) was asking "so what can I get?". Advised said "well, you have no physical disabilities, but you sound a bit down, so you could be classed as depressed. If you have been depressed for more than a set period, you'll qualify"

I then butted in and said something like "where do you think the money for this free stuff comes from? Perhaps we wouldn't have such massive government debts, and could afford free education, if it wasn't being given away. Plus, think of all the low paid workers paying tax just to give you a free laptop. Here's an idea - get a saturday job and buy one yourself. That's what I did at Uni."

Cue blank stares. serious blank stares. they just could NOT get that this 'free stuff' was being paid for from somewhere. It was as if it was created by pixies.

Cue the adviser then saying "well I pay way enough tax anyway, I don't mind"

Cue me saying - "actually, everything you earn is given to you from other taxpayers, and then you give a bit back in 'pretend tax'. They should just not charge you income tax and give you less initial money - that would be more honest about who really pays into the exchequer"

Cue change of topic to the olympics........

anyway, where is the crusading thinktanks explaining to the majority that stuff is not 'free' ever - someone always has to pay for it. until we see a shift in the entitlement culture, I see no way out of the UK (and US and european) public debt disaster. :blink:

Another shocking example from the list of way too many. The Govt. need to stop being the Sugar Daddy to everyone with a hard luck story.

At the end of the day if there is free money to be had only a fool wouldn't take it, the bigger fool sadly is the taxpayer for giving it the 1st place, but thanks to the reckless Govt. we have no damn choice in the matter.

The Tories have been in power now for over a year and I'm still waiting for one of my lazy in-laws to receive a knock on the door and be told that his ingrowing toenail of a disability isn't enough for him to sit on his ass all day watching TV and drinking beer...

I went to uni with a bloke like this. (2003)

He was studying performance studies, and was classed as being dyslexic. I wasn't that arsed about him getting extra time to do all of his exams and coursework because I was fine with knowing that he was essentially paying through the nose for a worthless degree.

What I did object to was the top spec laptop that he got given while he was at uni, despite already having a working mediocre laptop. When we asked him why he applied for the new laptop despite already having one, he responded "because I could".

The guy really was a totally unsavoury character and didn't deserve anything. I get wound up thinking about it because he's probably sponging from the state in some way now.

I went to uni with a bloke like this. (2003)

He was studying performance studies, and was classed as being dyslexic. I wasn't that arsed about him getting extra time to do all of his exams and coursework because I was fine with knowing that he was essentially paying through the nose for a worthless degree.

I taught in unis for 25 years and i have to say that in my experience the extra time doesn't make that much difference. Students tend to run out of knowledge in exams before they run out of time!

What DID get to me was a student getting extra help because she had dyscalculia -i.e. couldn't handle numbers easily. OK, lots of people affected - I tend to reverse numbers myself - but she was studying ACCOUNTING!

I taught in unis for 25 years and i have to say that in my experience the extra time doesn't make that much difference. Students tend to run out of knowledge in exams before they run out of time!

What DID get to me was a student getting extra help because she had dyscalculia -i.e. couldn't handle numbers easily. OK, lots of people affected - I tend to reverse numbers myself - but she was studying ACCOUNTING!

Why do we imagine everyone can do everything 'if they have the right support'? In fact we are just not remembering that we all different strengths and weaknesses. Why don't politicians actually ever tackle what people with common sense see and find irritating in this country? Why don't we leave the EU and govern ourselves?

So much wrong. I would scrap these free laptops right now. I used to do lots of jobs to support myself in UNI days. Did me no harm and actually some good.

Well, the real storm is approaching now. The western world has already run out of money and borrowing more to simply feed the interest requirements. We will now see living standards reverse about 30 yrs before the recovery comes about. And, oddly 30 yrs ago people went to uni fees free and some even got a grant for living expenses. Now that we have so many pointless, leading to nothing, degress aswell, students are asked to rack up debts of £30-40k. MADNESS

My brother had childhood rheumatoid arthritis which left him confined to a wheelchair. One side effect was he had very little strength in his hands so would be unable to, for example, write with a pen for 3 hours in an exam. The free laptop he got and ability to use it in his University exams were invaluable in getting his degree.

End result is that he is now a successful self-employed accountant. Without that laptop I have no doubt he would be stuck either on benefits or in a badly-paid make-work job for the disabled.

I'm sure there are many people that game the system. But that doesn't invalidate the real positive impact it can have. That laptop is the most concrete example I can think of of a piece of welfare that lifted somebody out of a potential life of poverty.

My brother had childhood rheumatoid arthritis which left him confined to a wheelchair. One side effect was he had very little strength in his hands so would be unable to, for example, write with a pen for 3 hours in an exam. The free laptop he got and ability to use it in his University exams were invaluable in getting his degree.

End result is that he is now a successful self-employed accountant. Without that laptop I have no doubt he would be stuck either on benefits or in a badly-paid make-work job for the disabled.

I'm sure there are many people that game the system. But that doesn't invalidate the real positive impact it can have. That laptop is the most concrete example I can think of of a piece of welfare that lifted somebody out of a potential life of poverty.

+1

This is why we have a welfare state

Wanted to give another example of why Labour was so popular amonst the voters.....from a chat with a student and an adviser (actually more that I butted in when I heard their conversation.

[...]

I then butted in and said something like "where do you think the money for this free stuff comes from? Perhaps we wouldn't have such massive government debts, and could afford free education, if it wasn't being given away. Plus, think of all the low paid workers paying tax just to give you a free laptop. Here's an idea - get a saturday job and buy one yourself. That's what I did at Uni."

Cue blank stares. serious blank stares. they just could NOT get that this 'free stuff' was being paid for from somewhere. It was as if it was created by pixies.

[...]

Cue change of topic to the olympics........

They were staring at you blankly because it was a private conversation and they couldn't believe how rude you were being <_<

You obviously lack any manners or common sense

They were staring at you blankly because it was a private conversation and they couldn't believe how rude you were being <_<

Conspiracy to commit fraud. You'd let that slip would you?

Conspiracy to commit fraud. You'd let that slip would you?

if the OP thought it was conspiracy to commit fraud the correct thing to do would be to report it to the police dontcha think?

Know them both. not rude - was in a social situation. It's called 'talking to people at a party'.

if the OP thought it was conspiracy to commit fraud the correct thing to do would be to report it to the police dontcha think?

Correct, or point out the error of their ways and convince them to stick to church orientated activities perhaps....