House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Biggest Sellout On Television

The one who's been flogging a high in saturated fat foodstuff for almost two decades despite having a mantle of clean-cut ambassador of sport. It's a disgrace in both it's hypocrisy and the shamelessness of the degrading adverts.

Anyone top that and raise me?

Guessing Lineker? :huh:

Gary Lineker! What brought that on? Always seems self-effacing in the commercials, which are usually fun, and clearly work. Wasn't Golden Wonder once upon a time the market leader, eclipsed by this then new brand?

The one who's been flogging a high in saturated fat foodstuff for almost two decades despite having a mantle of clean-cut ambassador of sport. It's a disgrace in both it's hypocrisy and the shamelessness of the degrading adverts.

Anyone top that and raise me?

Iggy Pop.

Tony Livesey.

Working for the BBC after being famous for running the Sunday Sport must mean going back on everything you believe in. Plus he was a **** to JD this evening

John Lydon?

Yeah, it was definitely surreal to watch him advertise Country Life butter.

Anyone who does voiceovers for T.V bank adverts, has less credibility than a rejected 'Britain's Chav's got Talent' contestant.

Tom Daley flogging your morning fix of agricultural waste product with a splash of "skimmed" milk?

Gary Lineker! What brought that on? Always seems self-effacing in the commercials, which are usually fun, and clearly work. Wasn't Golden Wonder once upon a time the market leader, eclipsed by this then new brand?

He did mention food High in saturated fat and Sport and two decades. I don`t have a problem with him personally but if I was having a stab. I will say Lineker.

Pl1.. What say you?

He did mention food High in saturated fat and Sport and two decades. I don`t have a problem with him personally but if I was having a stab. I will say Lineker.

Pl1.. What say you?

If it is a reference to Walkers crisps then that would be wrong on two levels. Firstly, they only contain a small amount of saturated fat. Secondly, saturated fat isn't harmful - it's trans fats (hydrogenated fats) which are unhealthy.

'Top crisp maker crunches fat levels':

http://www.timesonli...ticle722213.ece

A packet of cheese and onion Walkers crisps has 11.4 grams of fat and 3.5g of saturated fat. The saturated fat has been cut to 0.9g in the new product, but the overall fat content and the number of calories remain the same.

'To Shed Pounds, You MUST Eliminate This [fructose] from What You Eat':

http://articles.merc...p-you-thin.aspx

Saturated fats from animal and vegetable sources (such as grass-fed red meat, raw dairy, and tropical plants oils) are, contrary to what you've been told for the past several decades, vitally important for optimal health, and they provide a concentrated source of energy, which you'll need once you cut down on energy-dense sugars and grains.

Trans fats (think margarine and vegetable oils) are the fats you want to avoid as much as possible. These are the types of fats that will clog your arteries and promote heart disease.

Saturated fats, on the other hand, provide the building blocks for your cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormone-like substances that are essential to your health. They're also carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, and required for the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption, and for a host of other biological processes.

Fats also slow down absorption of your meal so that you feel satiated longer, which in and of itself can help you shed some pounds if your problem is frequent snacking due to constant hunger.

Edit: Added [fructose] to article title.

I don't think saturated fats are the problem , the problem is frying foods in oil changes the chemical makeup of the oil and makes it less healthy.

A thread about nothing.

If it's random sports-people c**ts, I'll add Ian Rush for advertising milk.

Yeh and Pele for reaching out to men who can only achieve a semi... Like Andy Murray.

I don't think saturated fats are the problem , the problem is frying foods in oil changes the chemical makeup of the oil and makes it less healthy.

Yes, if the temperature is too high. One would expect Walkers process control to keep trans-fat formation to a minimum. Here's some interesting research...

'Trans-Fat Formation in Frying Oils' [July 2010]:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2010/07/trans-fat-formation-in-frying-oils.aspx

In response to health experts’ concerns, the food-manufacturing and foodservice industries have been reducing the amount of trans-fatty-acid containing hydrogenated fats used. But there are worries that some trans fats might be created during the frying process.

[...snip...]

...the high heat conditions encountered during frying is known to alter the fatty acid composition of frying oil, so there are concerns that trans-fat formation during cooking and frying might be another significant source of trans fatty acids (TFAs). To assess the impact of heated edible oils on intake of trans fat, Japanese researchers estimated the formations of TFAs during cooking by using a frying and heating model system.

[...snip...]

To determine TFA formation in various edible oils during cooking, six kinds of commercially available edible vegetable oils were heated to 180 °C in glass test tubes. Small changes in TFA amounts were observed after four hours heating. According to the researchers, the results suggest that a regular frying process using unhydrogenated edible oils should have little impact on TFA consumption from edible oils.

whatever next...they'll have Joey Barton fronting up for a personal injury lawyer company!

If it is a reference to Walkers crisps then that would be wrong on two levels. Firstly, they only contain a small amount of saturated fat. Secondly, saturated fat isn't harmful - it's trans fats (hydrogenated fats) which are unhealthy.

'Top crisp maker crunches fat levels':

http://www.timesonli...ticle722213.ece

'To Shed Pounds, You MUST Eliminate This [fructose] from What You Eat':

http://articles.merc...p-you-thin.aspx

Edit: Added [fructose] to article title.

That source traces back to Walkers not an independent analysis. I agree about trans-fats and high-heat but crisps are fried, how do you think they get that golden look? And what about the salt levels?

No; I'm afraid he's the biggest sell out on TV ever. John Lydon comes a very close second up the rear and Ricky Gervais' mate ought to be ashamed of himself.

There are literally loads of them...Why does Lionel Richie need to sell himself to Walkers? Those Rob Brydon ads are moderately annoying...John Lydon admitted that he needed the money for a new PiL tour...

Yeh and Pele for reaching out to men who can only achieve a semi...

I'm hoping for a semi.

Oh wait.... wrong forum.