House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garybug

Looking For A Freeware Program To Encrypt..

I want to pass a folder of files to a colleague (onto his USB), but want to encrypt the folder, and prevent him from copying the contents (but obviously OK to view them)

Any ideas??

I want to pass a folder of files to a colleague (onto his USB), but want to encrypt the folder, and prevent him from copying the contents (but obviously OK to view them)

Any ideas??

Sounds too difficult:

- Once your colleague has the USB stick, you cannot control what he does with that stick.

- If he can view the contents, then he can copy the underlying data files as well.

My best shot:

1) Construct a small virtual computer using a heavily stripped down version of XP with just enough space to boot the OS and host the data files with a little free space left over (VMWare player can be feely distributed but you would need to acquire a copy of the full VMWare to create the machine in the first place. There may be other virtualisation products that will do the trick as well depending upon the specifics of your situation.)

2) Lock down all interfaces (print spooler, serial, floppy, NIC, USB, CD-ROM etc(1) ) so that no external data transfer is permitted.

3) Create an account with very low (guest) privileges that has just enough rights to view the data.

4) Encrypt the virtual machine using full disk encryption (TrueCrypt seems to be the best open source offering.)

5) Encrypt the data files within the virtual machine using NTFS encryption while logged in as the guest account (this is important.)

6) fill up most of the free space on the disk to make it hard for the guest account to make unencrypted copies of the data files (flawed but that's the best I can think of.) If you're feeling really tricky you might be able to disable the copy and paste context menus in Explorer but that's probably hard to do.

The idea is that your colleague will be able to boot up the virtual machine (you will have to give him the encryption key) and log in using the low privilege account to view the files but they will have difficulty getting the data out of the virtual machine. If your colleague manages to mount the virtual machine as an offline disk, then they will still have to defeat NTFS encryption to get to the data files (unfortunately that's not as hard as you might think.)

Don't imagine for a second that the above is truly secure - it's just my shot at making it hard to copy the unencrypted data.

(1) Different virtual technologies have different methods of getting data in/out of the virtual environment so you have to be careful here e.g. don't install or enable features like shared folders in VMWare. It's not easy to generalise about this due to the number of different technologies out there.

Any ideas??

I'd keep it old school and give them a pile of photocopies.

I can't think of anything that meets the 'prevent from copying, but OK to view' criterion. I use Truecrypt to encrypt the contents of my laptop, and you could certainly encrypt the contents of a USB stick that way. But if you give the recipient the pasword, (s)he can then do what they like with the files, incuding copying them.

In order to discourage copying and encourage meaningful note-taking (i.e. not just printing out and sticking in a folder), when I make lecture slides and handouts available electronically to my students, I do so as PDF files with the security settings set to disallow printing and copying/pasting content out of the document. But for that to work for you assumes that the files involved are text and/or image, and that you have Acrobat Pro. They can also copy the files themselves, just not any of the content out of them.