House Price Crash Forum

Soundproofing Part E Regs

HOLA441

Hi,

Recently bought a new build property. There's a complete lack of insulation between the two bedrooms which doesn't bother me from the thermal point of view but from a soundproofing perspective it's really bad. I got a response from the builders which said -

Upon checking construction details with the project manager, it has been made apparent that the standard internal partition wall does not require insulation, as detailed in the specification and the Building Regulations at the time of scheme approval. Therefore it will not be possible for ############# to rectify this raised item. If you still wish to meet to discuss matters further, please forward me the most convenient date you are available.

- Does this sound possible to you? As far as I can tell part E soundproofing regs were introduced in 2003.

Would be grateful of any facts that would support my case.

Regards.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I bet they are using a product like Gypsum Soundbloc which requires no internal acoustic insulation. It does work very well, and meets the regs, but it's crap if you knock the wall or put a plug in the socket.

http://www.british-g..._soundbloc.aspx

Edit: Just to add my house has this on all internal walls (well, all the plasterboard is soundbloc). I found out they were using this when I was inspecting the build and contacted the NHBC to see if this was correct. It is, and does meet part E of the regs.

If it is a problem, you can easily add acoustic insulation after the event.

HOLA444

Edit: Just to add my house has this on all internal walls (well, all the plasterboard is soundbloc). I found out they were using this when I was inspecting the build and contacted the NHBC to see if this was correct. It is, and does meet part E of the regs.

If it is a problem, you can easily add acoustic insulation after the event.

Hmm, ok, it just looks like standard 12.5mm plasterboard to me and it's definitely NOT effective!

How do you easily add acoustic insulation after the event? As far as I can tell you would have to rip the wall down first.

HOLA445

Here's the product:

plasterboard.jpg

This is from my house when it was being built.

If you can see the back of the plasterboard, and it isn't soundbloc (or similar product) then you could claim from the builder under the building regs.

If in a house, you could drill down from the loft into the walls, and drop insulation in that way. But it would be tricky to make sure you drill into the wall from above and don't miss. Also, you need to make sure the product you put in doesn't react with anything (e.g. cables and plasticizer from the likes of polystyrene). Alternatively rip down one side of the plasterboard and put in acoustic insulation - re-board then get a plasterer in to finish it off.

Also, you have to remember the the building regs are only designed to stop talking in other rooms - you'll never stop loud music or banging on the walls.

What is the actual problem? TV in other rooms?

HOLA446
HOLA447