House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Solar Q About Meters

You could opt for econ7, and no one would stop you. But econ7 is only any use to people with storage heaters or genuine shift work. Cheaper elec kicks in roughly around 1am and kicks off approx 7am.

If you had solar panels, surely you'd want to run most of your necessary power drains during the day and use your own generated power? We have panels and this is how we use them. Our set up may be different from yours though. I don't know anything about your deal with your supplier for selling power back to them.

We've not got them yet!

OH reckons e7 isn't that much dearer during the day than normal...

I haven't checked his figures though.

online solar calculator thinks you'll get 804 units of electricity per year per kw of solar panel, so ~2400 for 3kw.. that's based on this latitude and roof facing perfectly south

We've not got them yet!

OH reckons e7 isn't that much dearer during the day than normal...

I haven't checked his figures though.

online solar calculator thinks you'll get 804 units of electricity per year per kw of solar panel, so ~2400 for 3kw.. that's based on this latitude and roof facing perfectly south

That figure sounds much more realistic for the UK than the figures being promoted here by the solar panel seller.

Anyhow, I would change to E7 for solar. Even during the day, peak generation time will not normally coincide with peak usage for a normal human being, and there will be many days when you aren't generating much so will be buying from the grid.

You could opt for econ7, and no one would stop you. But econ7 is only any use to people with storage heaters or genuine shift work. Cheaper elec kicks in roughly around 1am and kicks off approx 7am.

Oh FFS! I've been getting out of bed to put the washing machine on at midnight for over a year now as I thought this was taking advantage of the lower e7 rate!!! :(

Oh FFS! I've been getting out of bed to put the washing machine on at midnight for over a year now as I thought this was taking advantage of the lower e7 rate!!! :(

Don't panic, each company differs. Check your contract.

Anyway, on the subject of solar panels, personally I think it's too early to invest in them. I'd wait for the price to drop. The panels I have are provided free as part of a research project.

If the return is spread over say 20 years, who knows whether the panel will even last that long? etc etc. Treat with extreme caution.