House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jamespaddle29

2Nd Floor Flat On Edge Of Coastal Flood Plain....

Hello,

Currently frustrated with house market and its stagnation, ie should be falling but not!

I have seen a 1 bedroom 2nd floor flat. It is all ok, good HIP report etc (In Scotland).

At ground level it is 7metres above sea level. It is near the sea, but there is a wall and also a reef then the sea starts.

On the SEPA website, it says it is in the risk zone green.

So I was wondering if anyone has advice/tips.

If its 7metres high, surely all it is at risk is from 100 year storms? Not even sea level rises, ie wont rise this much in 100 years.

Perhaps I should point this out and offer less!

If anyone can let me know,

Thanks!

Hello,

Currently frustrated with house market and its stagnation, ie should be falling but not!

I have seen a 1 bedroom 2nd floor flat. It is all ok, good HIP report etc (In Scotland).

At ground level it is 7metres above sea level. It is near the sea, but there is a wall and also a reef then the sea starts.

On the SEPA website, it says it is in the risk zone green.

So I was wondering if anyone has advice/tips.

If its 7metres high, surely all it is at risk is from 100 year storms? Not even sea level rises, ie wont rise this much in 100 years.

Perhaps I should point this out and offer less!

If anyone can let me know,

Thanks!

projected sea rise is less than a metre over 100 years, so the risk lies in tidal surges, I don't know how high they go but that would sound like a tsunami!

also is it by a major river, as storm surges from the sea can back a river up, but I suspect 7 meters is again rather optimistic

Define 'near to the sea'. Which sea matters (Atlantic or North Sea) as they have recorded 30meter waves on the Atlantic coast, a rock weighing several tones was found at that hight on the coast, a wave had washed it from the sea bed.

Freak waves have been measured with satellite survey and they are in fact a very regular occurrence.

Hi its on the North Sea, East Lothian.

Freak waves only occur usually far out at sea surely?

Unless it is a tsunami. There is somehing off Norway called the 'Storegga slides' this has created a Tsunami 5000 years ago.

Its not something that would keep me up at night though.

Freak waves only occur usually far out at sea surely?

Nope, they have evidence on the Atlantic coast in Scotland. N. Sea should be ok, only risk is underwater landslides (caused by global warming probably) or Asteroid tsunami's. Not very much then...