House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

Nissan Importing Spanish Engineers To Keep Uk Plant Open

Nissan importing workers

Nissan, the Japanese automotive giant, has quietly started looking for around 100 Spanish engineers to relocate to the UK to keep their Sunderland factory open. Lower wages, and a lack of suitable talent amongst British engineering graduates are the reason for the need to import workers from abroad.

We're not going to get wage inflation are we?

Says a lot about the UK education system if we aren't producing quality graduates that business needs.

My friend got a 2:2 from an OK university and is now very high up at ARM. The difference was they were prepared to train him at their expense rather than expecting the state to do it for free.

Always the 'lack of knowledge' crap, more like as they stated in the first sentence - crappy wages and no desire to train the workforce.

You reap what you sow.

No Labour ensured the educational standards kids got today have been sufficiently lowered to ensure they become further dependant on the state aka Labour created future voters by dumbing them down.

Of course they did :rolleyes:

Under the Tories education is always the highest priority with teachers rewarded to ensure only the top graduates apply and the exam system toughened up?

Lower wages, and a lack of suitable talent amongst British engineering graduates

So they want highly qualified engineers but are not prepared to pay for them, so decided that going abroad to get them cheaper is the way to go. Wonder how long these imported engineers will last once the realise that this amazing job they've taken will just about pay for the bus to work yet alone a descent standard of living?

My friend got a 2:2 from an OK university and is now very high up at ARM. The difference was they were prepared to train him at their expense rather than expecting the state to do it for free.

Exactly.

So they want highly qualified engineers but are not prepared to pay for them, so decided that going abroad to get them cheaper is the way to go. Wonder how long these imported engineers will last once the realise that this amazing job they've taken will just about pay for the bus to work yet alone a descent standard of living?

But they are subsidising their living costs according to the article. I could take a 20% pay cut and still be better off if my company would pick up my rent bill as well.

How do explain reality then. Do you employ people have you tried to employ people? Just read the news and you will see a common message coming from sectors of business.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/29/us-italy-education-idUSTRE75S2E520110629 Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02am EDT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12464204 15 February 2011 Last updated at 12:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13310246 9 May 2011 Last updated at 01:00

Nuff said!

Because its a load of crap used by businesses as a means to lower wages in a given sector and/or import cheaper workers.

If its a skill based thing then why do the companies involved ALWAYS end up recruiting workers at a lower cost than if they'd took on UK workers. Surely if it was a skill based decision they'd be looking for the most skilled workers they could find, and so would end up paying higher than average salaries for their sectors?? Unless of course they are talking a load of ********.....

How do explain reality then. Do you employ people have you tried to employ people? Just read the news and you will see a common message coming from sectors of business.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/29/us-italy-education-idUSTRE75S2E520110629 Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02am EDT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12464204 15 February 2011 Last updated at 12:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13310246 9 May 2011 Last updated at 01:00

Nuff said!

Business is always saying the same thing. Time to change the record. School leavers have always lacked the "basic skills" since man could read, write and count. I remember the same nonsense in the early-mid 80s when they complained about the lack of IT workers and how this would lead the UK to be 3rd world within a decade. :rolleyes:

Business owners want all the cake without helping with the ingredients. Many did away with apprenticeships and graduate schemes in the 90s, as it was easier to import labour. Now some are citing skills shortages in the UK as the reason why they import Spanish grad's. Ho, ho....they just happen to be cheaper as well. What luck !

Does anyone believe this drivel any more ?

What a sound business model.

It reminds me of some businesses which "only" employ Polish workers.

One thing is for sure, though. There are plenty of idle engineers in Spain at the moment, especially young ones. Same story for Italy, Greece and so on.

I do find the choice of Spanish ones quite strange, to be fair, as they are generally the worst when it comes to command of the English Language.

I would have said Portuguese are better at that (that's because they don't dub the TV programmes).

The other thing is that, despite the plant being in Sunderland, which is an absolute shithole which would be perfect for a "Fallout" movie, most of these young engineers would be living in Newcastle. The problem with that is that it's an expensive city.

But they are subsidising their living costs according to the article. I could take a 20% pay cut and still be better off if my company would pick up my rent bill as well.

No they are not they said they are providing housing support which may be a housing subsidy, but could also be just help finding accomodation. And a housing subsidy would make no sense to offer if it meant lowering the salary paid by an equal amount. Why not just offer a higher wage instead? less admin overhead that way.

over the last 7 years i have worked with many graduates, they have the knowledge of what they have been taught, but they all lacked the skills to work. IE

they can not think for them selves to solve a problem.

they can not see the problem developing

if they have no task to do, or hit a problem they just sit there and make excuses

they arrive at 9am and leave at exactly 5:30pm

they can not work atonomously from start to finish on a project they should be able to manage

they thake no personal responsibility for anything (good and bad)

they have trouble pritorising stuff for them selves

they over egg their abilities, and when asked to prove they can do XYZ they faulter

this is only from a select 20-30 i have worked with. i am not taring every graduate with the same brush.

over the last 7 years i have worked with many graduates, they have the knowledge of what they have been taught, but they all lacked the skills to work. IE

they can not think for them selves to solve a problem.

they can not see the problem developing

if they have no task to do, or hit a problem they just sit there and make excuses

they arrive at 9am and leave at exactly 5:30pm

they can not work atonomously from start to finish on a project they should be able to manage

they thake no personal responsibility for anything (good and bad)

they have trouble pritorising stuff for them selves

they over egg their abilities, and when asked to prove they can do XYZ they faulter

this is only from a select 20-30 i have worked with. i am not taring every graduate with the same brush.

Sounds depressing.

But what's exactly the problem with arriving at 9AM and leaving at 5.30PM?

No they are not they said they are providing housing support which may be a housing subsidy, but could also be just help finding accomodation. And a housing subsidy would make no sense to offer if it meant lowering the salary paid by an equal amount. Why not just offer a higher wage instead? less admin overhead that way.

If I was going to work abroad in what I know to be a high cost of living country, I'd rather take a lower salary in exchange for my employer taking away the worry and hassle of finding my own accomodation and funding the cost out my pocket. It is easier to assess whether it is worth the salary being paid with such variables removed. Maybe Nissan are using volume to drive a better deal with landlords (guaranteed rental income, but more security for the landlord than the guarantee of dolites) = win win.

Sounds depressing.

It's not very Spanish? :lol::blink:

Sounds depressing.

i wouldn't say it was depressing, its annoying. Students seem to be taught how to collect information from sources given. but not find out how to solve a problem.

they have all the knowledge to perfom the task, but they dont know how to apply it or when to.

theres nothing worng about the 9-5:30 thing, but when a project is near deadline, and some extra hours are required to help finish it off, they know its needed doing they just can not think or are willing to put in that little bit extra. they dont seem to realise (i'm talking of years gone by, not the last 3) putting in that bit of extra effort to go that extra mile will help them towards promotion and pay rises. they seem to be docterined to only do the bare minimum and nothing more.

Sounds depressing.

The poster means that the corporation/business/department he owns/runs/manages is finding it difficult to steal from the graduates lives, families and friends.

Perhaps Madeleine Bunting has woken a few sleepers up with her book 'Willing Slaves'.

Whilst I would otherwise sympathise with the posters observations this particular one makes me realise immediately he's a ****. :D

i wouldn't say it was depressing, its annoying. Students seem to be taught how to collect information from sources given. but not find out how to solve a problem.

they have all the knowledge to perfom the task, but they dont know how to apply it or when to.

theres nothing worng about the 9-5:30 thing, but when a project is near deadline, and some extra hours are required to help finish it off, they know its needed doing they just can not think or are willing to put in that little bit extra. they dont seem to realise (i'm talking of years gone by, not the last 3) putting in that bit of extra effort to go that extra mile will help them towards promotion and pay rises. they seem to be docterined to only do the bare minimum and nothing more.

LOL - not in any company I've worked in for the last 10 years at least (I've worked for the 3 biggest I.T. outsourcers by size). The thing you should be asking is why extra hours are needed to hit the deadline - is it due to unforeseen circumstances, or management deliberately understaffing and just expecting the extra for free? Increasingly, it's the latter.

I am sticking to my nine to five at the moment, besides after five i am on my email until six on the mobile. I spent years going the extra mile, time for a change, and it's summer after all.

At my appraisal I was advised to stay late, not to work, but to chat to and influence the higher ups. I am confident my work will do that, and if not, I will leave. Stay late to brown nose! Just to add, I had a boss who hated people staying late and would tell the staff to go home, didn't want them to think it was earning them any points.

Edited by Tonkers

Posted that link on Facebook and got some interesting feedback. Apparently to get a job at Nissan its all employment agencies and temporary contracts. Someone in the West Midlands chimed in that the same applies if you want to work at Land Rover.

None of these firms directly employ most of their labour anymore, with perhaps only a small elite of workers having a full time contract.

Greedy corporations are sowing a whirlwind.

Don't know who is going to buy all this stuff with everyone on temporary contracts/minimum wage and the corps offshoring the profits.

Still there is always property and that always goes up.

At my appraisal I was advised to stay late, not to work, but to chat to and influence the higher ups.

AKA facetime :D

Maybe they're just a bit wiser? With the current economic environment any pay rises are likely to be far off.

Pay reviews are so arbitrary anyway it's debatable whether putting in the extra hours is a better strategy than, ahem, 'networking' to improve your standing in the company.

If you really want them to work harder either pay overtime (or time off in lieu) or have some sort of project-based bonus for the whole team (rather than individual targets - they tend to make people focus only on their own stuff rather than looking at the bigger picture).

Nothing new though. I was hiring graduates in the early 80's and found exactly the same. (Which suggests the contemporaries of many on here were exactly the same :) )

If an employer seeks people with extensive experience of applying their knowledge at work it means they have to hire people who have had extensive experience applying their knowledge at work, - and pay more than the going rate for raw graduates.

Either they accept this cost or they carefully pick new graduates and accept the cost of nurturing them. Both approaches work.