House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

What To Do With A Dead Cat

I have left a note with the nearest vet and have asked a couple of neighbours, so what else do I do?

RSPCA dont want to know and the local council will only deal with it if it is on public property.....

I don't want to:

Be seen putting it into the road.

Transport it somewhere in my new bmw.

Bury it in my garden (there is nowhere to put it and it would put my off my homegrown veg!).

Put it in the wheely bin - it seems unceremonious and they don't come for 2 weeks.

I am mindful that someone out there might think of it as a family member and want to bury it etc themselves

but how long do I just leave it there? It is in view of my kitchen when I am making my dinner.

I have googled this subject and there isn't much help other than the above things and some bizarre suggestions like

"eat it" and "contact the local shamans".

the unofficial council advice given at a public meeting was "put it on the pavement and ring us up"

It was re: dead rats though rather than cats.

Can you describe it and put a poster up at the local shop saying you've found a dead cat? Although having typed that it does sound too bizarre. (and I wouldnt put a photo of a dead cat on a poster)

I think I'd bury it or take it the vets and leave it outside in a box (You've done yourself no favour by ringing them as they'll know it was you now)

How about asking some neigbours if they know who it belongs to. If no one knows then put it in a plastic bag and into the wheelie bin. Well perhaps a few plastic bags inside each other.

Not a fun job i know but better than having it lieing around in full view for days.

the unofficial council advice given at a public meeting was "put it on the pavement and ring us up"

It was re: dead rats though rather than cats.

Can you describe it and put a poster up at the local shop saying you've found a dead cat? Although having typed that it does sound too bizarre. (and I wouldnt put a photo of a dead cat on a poster) I think I'd bury it or take it the vets and leave it outside in a box (You've done yourself no favour by ringing them as they'll know it was you now)

It doesn't seem right putting a "dead cat found" notice up. I was going to put a few notes through the houses nearby, what would you put on it though?

It is the school holidays so I don't want to be upsetting kids..... If I just put cat found kids might just show up asking for it!

I could parcelforce it to you Sarah.

Take it into the nearest kebab shop during it's busiest time, slam it on the counter and say in a loud voice

"This is the last one you're getting - you haven't paid me for the last 3 yet"

I have left a note with the nearest vet and have asked a couple of neighbours, so what else do I do?

RSPCA dont want to know and the local council will only deal with it if it is on public property.....

I don't want to:

Bury it in my garden (there is nowhere to put it and it would put my off my homegrown veg!).

Put it in the wheely bin - it seems unceremonious and they don't come for 2 weeks.

I am mindful that someone out there might think of it as a family member and want to bury it etc themselves

but how long do I just leave it there? It is in view of my kitchen when I am making my dinner.

I have googled this subject and there isn't much help other than the above things and some bizarre suggestions like

Council should surely take it away. It's a health hazard if just left to rot - it'll be alive with bluebottles/maggots in no time - and not everyone would have the space/ability to bury it.

What if you found a dead fox in your garden? Are you supposed to dispose of it yourself?

If council won't take it, I'd wait until dark and then leave it at the side of the road. Wrap it in eg an old towel if you don't want to touch it.

Is it still fresh? (Might not be in this weather). If it is then take it to the vets and see if it had a microchip, this will tell you the owner if it had one. Otherwise tell the council it was originally in the road, and they'll collect. (A long story, but my sisters cat was run over. The lady who hit it was distraught by the road. One of the people who stopped happened to be the local rat catcher/ dead animal collector. He put the cat in his boot and continued to work. Animals are kept in a deep freeze and then cremated together in batches. On the way home he put a notice in the local newsagent, and saw that my sister had already put in a notice asking about the cat, so he phoned her up. On the next day at work he retrieved the cat from the freezer, and dropped it off at her house. It took a day to defrost enough to be able to check it was indeed their cat. They never learnt his name. But the big hearted rat catcher who went far out of his way certainly made an unhappy situation that bit better).

:lol:

And watch as they refuse to drop the price of it as it starts to decay.

And I think the poor cat thought he'd show his sense of humour by popping its clogs in Death's garden, it's the ultimate last laugh

Do you have a boating lake near you?

Make a small viking longboat out of some wood or cardboard, place dead cat in said boat at sunset and push off towars centre of lake.

Do you have a bow and arrow? Are there any Council by-laws against flaming arrows?

would be the wheelie bin here, it may seem uncerimonious but so is leaving it lying in the garden.

The bin might not get emptied for another two weeks but if you leave it lying in the garden in this heat then it will by a stinking mound of flies and maggots by then.

Either dump it at the vets so that they can see if it is chipped or sling it in the bin imo.

would be the wheelie bin here, it may seem uncerimonious but so is leaving it lying in the garden.

The bin might not get emptied for another two weeks but if you leave it lying in the garden in this heat then it will by a stinking mound of flies and maggots by then.

Either dump it at the vets so that they can see if it is chipped or sling it in the bin imo.

+1 for the bin (wrapped in plenty of bags. No need for sentiment or ceremony, its only a cat. You wouldn't think twice if it was a pigeon or something. No collar means its owners probably didn't love it that much anyway. :ph34r:

I don't want to:

are you sure it's dead and not just pretending?

Got a bonfire? Put it on that...

Nah, burning furry stuff stinks.

He could just lob it over the fence of whichever neighbour is likely to give it a nice little ceremony :lol: assuming that that isnt how it got into his garden in the first place :)

OP, does the cat look like it died there or has been lobbed over your fence?

It doesn't seem right putting a "dead cat found" notice up. I was going to put a few notes through the houses nearby, what would you put on it though?

It is the school holidays so I don't want to be upsetting kids..... If I just put cat found kids might just show up asking for it!

I could parcelforce it to you Sarah.

Your level of sensitivity to this issue is out of step with your avatar and username... Personally, assuming I had space, I'd bury it in my garden at a reasonable depth. I don't think your vegetables will mind at all.

Your level of sensitivity to this issue is out of step with your avatar and username... Personally, assuming I had space, I'd bury it in my garden at a reasonable depth. I don't think your vegetables will mind at all.

Fancy judging someone by their avatar, whatever next :D

When I was a nipper and we came across a dead cat we used to place it in the gutter up against the pavement. It was like a soft ramp and it would ensure you avoided buckling your front wheel of your grifter or chopper when coming off the road onto the pavement.

Give it to the kids. they will make good use of it.