House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Crash Panic - 'everyone's Panicking And Putting Their Houses

Just spoken to old EA colleague who now works for one of the main Pembrokeshire EAs. Some of the memorable comments from her - 'no-ones got any money to put into housing anymore', 'Everone's panicking and putting their houses on the market as they think this is their last chance to sell', 'thinks are looking worse than I can ever remember' (she's been an EA for 15 years).

The reason I phoned her in the first place was I'd noticed loads more For Sale signs springing up in the last week or two and wanted her take on things, and to discuss the possibility of selling my place to STR. She's usually in sales mode when she speaks to me 'oh, we're really doing very well down here', etc.,..........

Edited by gruffydd

I remember really struggling to sell a cottage for 40k back in the mid 90s - it would now be valued at 250k. What a joke - bring on the crash!

Edited by gruffydd

Just spoken to old EA colleague who now works for one of the main Pembrokeshire EAs. Some of the memorable comments from her - 'no-ones got any money to put into housing anymore', 'Everone's panicking and putting their houses on the market as they think this is their last chance to sell', 'thinks are looking worse than I can ever remember' (she's been an EA for 15 years).

The reason I phoned her in the first place was I'd noticed loads more For Sale signs springing up in the last week or two and wanted her take on things, and to discuss the possibility of selling my place to STR. She's usually in sales mode when she speaks to me 'oh, we're really doing very well down here', etc.,..........

Interesting stuff Gruff, it doesn't suprise me at all. I'm back there every 6 weeks or so and there are masses of sale signs around. Where you based?

'Everone's panicking and putting their houses on the market as they think this is their last chance to sell', 'thinks are looking worse than I can ever remember' (she's been an EA for 15 years).

Not all of them are going to be able to get out. And the more who try, the more supply for almost non-existent first-time buyers to choose from.

This is going to be a biggie.

Guest Riser
Well, as 4 or 5 years ago you couldn't give away a place in West Wales and now you need to be a millionaire to buy even a small cottage I would guess, IMPO, a hefty correction is on the way.

Another nine months and you could be seeing 20% year on year falls in Wales. HPI currently 0.15% down from 25% just 18 months ago B)

Edited by Riser

Nice to know that someone else with Newportian roots is on here - many of my father's family are from there. My forefathers used to sail all over the world from Newport (Trefdraeth) when it was a bustling port - S America, Africa. A few of the ancient families remain - Griffiths, Havards, etc., but it's mainly second home territory these days with some of the most obscene house prices in Wales. Dyfed, landlord of the Llwyngwair, was sent deeply unpleasant threats recently after he complained about the community being damaged by second homes / high house prices.

Edited by gruffydd

It seems true...panic selling seems to be today's reality. I mean look here, within a space of 4 months a popular and decent street, such as Norwood Avenue and there 5 houses already up for sale:

http://www.propnet.co.uk/property_search/browse.php?id=5

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-694...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-461...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-764...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-850...pa_n=6&tr_t=buy

Pembrokeshire prices pi$$ me off. I moved away from there 6 years ago when you couldn't give houses away (as Tuplip said). House prices were higher where I moved to but it was still easy to buy. I've watched things go the other way now. Prices higher in Pembs than where I currently live. It's bound to fall. Other than second home/BTL (which is drying up), there is nothing in the way of industry to support the prices.

Check this place out!

Saundersfoot harbour residence

Madness!!! £750k for a bungalow overlooking the harbour!!!!!!!! This is Wales - not Monaco

Pembrokeshire prices pi$$ me off. I moved away from there 6 years ago when you couldn't give houses away (as Tuplip said). House prices were higher where I moved to but it was still easy to buy. I've watched things go the other way now. Prices higher in Pembs than where I currently live. It's bound to fall. Other than second home/BTL (which is drying up), there is nothing in the way of industry to support the prices.

Check this place out!

Madness!!! £750k for a bungalow overlooking the harbour!!!!!!!! This is Wales - not Monaco

It has got classy decor though ... the 80 year old smelling of wee look is very big on the catwalks these days I hear ...

It has got classy decor though ... the 80 year old smelling of wee look is very big on the catwalks these days I hear ...

Great view of a carpark too. Think they'll throw in the garden chairs for that price? ;)

Check this place out!

This ones now "reduced" to £675k which is still taking the pi$$ but a move in the right direction at least.

Interesting also to note that a mate of mine has put his place on the market and says he's "testing the water"

He is someone who doesn;t want to stay where he is for much longer so has finally realised that the sooner he sells, the better.

Well, as 4 or 5 years ago you couldn't give away a place in West Wales and now you need to be a millionaire to buy even a small cottage I would guess, IMPO, a hefty correction is on the way.

Well its the same in Devon.. a modest flat was pennies.. its still pennies.. just four times as many

Solicitors can't afford to buy homes here.. I am a technical Consultant for a software house.. good salary..

I can't afford a home...

Whatever happens next.. when it is looked back upon it will be the most bloody obvious thing to have happened in history..

I'm in Bath. The numbers up for sale has increased sharply recently, having fallen off a summer peek. Oddly it was the IR cut that sparked the sell. I wondered at the time if there would be more sellers sparked into action with that cut than buyers.

Now with the stock markets heading south around the globe the wheels are really coming off! Big job losses in the New Year I fear. Check the open post in this thread;

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17644

I'm in Bath. The numbers up for sale has increased sharply recently, having fallen off a summer peek. Oddly it was the IR cut that sparked the sell. I wondered at the time if there would be more sellers sparked into action with that cut than buyers.

Now with the stock markets heading south around the globe the wheels are really coming off! Big job losses in the New Year I fear. Check the open post in this thread;

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17644

driving home yesterday, passed one house thats been on for >12 months. saw that it had just changed to SSTC. Damn it ! I thought........ but hang on, round the corner from where I live, 3 new For Sale boards up !!

BINGO!!!!!!!! :)