House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pauly_Boy

Unison Union Leader With His Snout Firmly In The Trough

I guess this will enable him to empathise with his union members!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020536/Union-boss-Dave-Prentis-bags-31-pension-rise.html

It's not all bad for the public sector! Union boss Dave Prentis bags a 31% pension rise

The Left-wing leader of more than a million public-sector workers facing cuts in their pensions has secured himself a huge increase in his personal retirement pot.

Members of Dave Prentis’s Unison union working in the NHS and local government are having their pensions reduced unless they pay increased contributions – but Mr Prentis has quietly pocketed an inflation-busting 31 per cent rise.

New figures show that Unison paid almost £8,000 more in annual contributions towards Mr Prentis’s pension than it did 12 months ago.

It takes the union’s annual subsidy to his pension from £24,919 to £32,818. His total earnings package has risen to £143,887 – up from £142,312 last year.

Mr Prentis, 58, below, whose Hertfordshire home is worth an estimated £2 million, is a member of the so-called ‘awkward squad’ of union leaders threatening a wave of strikes over cuts to public-sector pensions.

The hard-line leader of Britain’s biggest union – who has made regular attacks on ‘fat cat’ bosses – has warned his members to prepare for the ‘fight of their lives’ with a sustained series of strikes to oppose cuts to their pensions. Unison insists that Mr Prentis ‘is worth every penny – and it is not taxpayers’ money’.

The union says Mr Prentis is responsible for 1,500 staff, a turnover of around £160 million and has meetings with chief executives who are ‘paid in the gazillions’.

The details of Mr Prentis’s pension are revealed in annual accounts lodged with the certification officer, the trade union watchdog.

The official figures also reveal that fellow Left-winger Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union, has seen contributions to his retirement fund rise by 17.2 per cent from £29,086 to £34,095 – an increase of £5,000.

Mr Crow has a total earnings package of £127,000 a year, the largest element of which is his £84,006 salary figure. His overall income has gone down, however, after widespread criticism last year, when he received a package worth £133,183.

The payments to the pensions of the union barons far exceed the average wage of a UK worker, which is just £25,800 a year.

Mr Crow recently pledged the RMT’s support to public-sector workers, adding: ‘When it comes to solidarity, co-operation and co-ordination, we will be in the front line.’

Well it says his total earnings package is up by less than 1% - so in effect, down by 3-4%.

Also a union leader is not a public employee - he is a private employee (something a lot of union bashers seem to be confused about). So if the members don't like it, they can do something about it.

If they're not doing anything, then it's safe to assume they feel they're getting VFM for the dues they pay.

Anyway, there are much bigger things to worry about at the moment, no?

Well it says his total earnings package is up by less than 1% - so in effect, down by 3-4%.

Also a union leader is not a public employee - he is a private employee (something a lot of union bashers seem to be confused about). So if the members don't like it, they can do something about it.

If they're not doing anything, then it's safe to assume they feel they're getting VFM for the dues they pay.

But in Somalia it would be a case of which union boss do we behead first?

Can't believe you can say both things at the same time with a straight face.

what b*llocks - the union members are being used, pure and simple

Exactly. People blindly paying for union membership whilst getting very little in return is par for the course these days. Then the added insult of having your money given to people like the Labour Party. What a sham. You don't need to pay someone £130,000 a year to go on strike.

what b*llocks - the union members are being used, pure and simple

Zilly's simply employing the oft-used private sector argument - you aren't being forced to join a union and pay for it, so why do you care?

I am a member of a Trade Union and now self employed. (I kept my membership going afterwards as I support the aims and objects of the movement). My choice....and it is not Unison.

This chap has shown extraordinary poor judgement is taking this increase at this time. I would expect him to have a difficult time explaining it as the TU's AGM, and in the spirit of membership driven organisation democracy will no doubt create a movement to overturn the excess!!

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"

- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

Quite.

As a postdoc scientist on a short term contract in the early 90s, I discovered that not a single union had anything to say (or interest in doing anything) about the appalling pay and conditions of myself and my peers, or the atrocious, exploitative behaviour of those who had power over us (tenured staff).

That was when I had my moment of clarity about whose interests the unions really serve.

These feckers will be first against the wall when the revolution comes, as the saying goes.

Exactly. People blindly paying for union membership whilst getting very little in return is par for the course these days. Then the added insult of having your money given to people like the Labour Party. What a sham. You don't need to pay someone £130,000 a year to go on strike.

Voluntary workers work very hard for nothing.......take away their fat pay packets then wonder how hard they will work. ;)

Guest sillybear2

Union troughing is always hilarious, especially when it's followed up by a bit of banker bashing on the stump :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8646587/Union-boss-Derek-Simpson-received-500000-golden-goodbye.html

You have to feel sorry for their members, they're either naive or stupid to keep paying their subs, especially when they do basically nothing for the plight of your average worker, real incomes have stagnated since the 70's.

The union high-ups are almost universally amateurish, unprofessional and sexist (sometimes drunkards to boot), they get the job because they're cronies or because they've hung around long enough. It's like they're modeled on some minor unreconstructed character out of The Sweeney. It a shame they're such a rabble, if they took an interest in their members equal to their own grasping tendencies then things would be a lot better for all concerned. Maybe when those dinosaurs (generously) retire things will improve.

That said, congratulations to Unite for finally taking a vocal interest in the living wage for workers at Sainsbury's etc, it's about time.

Zilly's simply employing the oft-used private sector argument - you aren't being forced to join a union and pay for it, so why do you care?

an argument that I do not ascribe to !

Well would you believe it the Fail again on Sunday has admitted today they made the story up, oh sorry made a few spelling mistakes.

Last Sunday we said that Dave Prentis, the Unison general secretary, had secured a 31 per cent increase to his pension contributions from the union. This was incorrect. In fact as a member of the Unison staff pension scheme, Mr Prentis is paying the increase himself under the union’s ‘salary sacrifice’ scheme. We apologise to Mr Prentis for our mistake and for any distress caused.

Unless you are a black disabled lesbian you can pretty much discount any help from Unison in a blatantly obvious unfair dismissal case irrespective of however many years of paid up subs <_<