House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Watching Cloverfield

Okay after 10 mins the ad-lib was already annoying me, now bit of the way in the story line is apparent as a Godzilla in NYC but played straight-as-a-die with passable ad-lib.

Does it get better?

You're not wrong ;)

utter utter rubbish

I'm just noticing the ad-lib as very apparent. There was no specific script was there?

It's been ages since I endured it. But I clearly remember being amazed at all the great reviews it got. Just goes to prove you can't trust anything written on the internet these days.

It's been ages since I endured it. But I clearly remember being amazed at all the great reviews it got. Just goes to prove you can't trust anything written on the internet these days.

Yea I can't be ars*d with it and the remote sender is doing it's annoying thing as well to add to it. I've given up on random IMDB grade inflation long ago so I'll trust your review and do sommat else, like go to sleep.

edit: TBH I really think it would have been better if it had traditional direction too. Why does everything these days have to have a modern edge?

I saw it when it first came out and quite liked it, but it does seem to be a "love it or hate it" kind of film.

I didn't think Cloverfield was that bad. Somebody gave me the DVD for free as they couldn't stand it.

Ive never seen Cloverfield but my mate, who is well into his monster movies, said it wasnt worth watching so i never bothered.

If you do want a good monster movie i recommend Godzilla: Tokyo SOS. Its one of the newest Godzilla films and it still has the guy in the rubber suit and the cardboard sets. Excellent.

vlcsnap-2009-12-13-15h55m19s83.png

Was tempted to watch it again, even though I have the DVD, but it was on C4HD. But went to bed instead. Its a one viewing movie really.

I saw it when it first came out and quite liked it, but it does seem to be a "love it or hate it" kind of film.

You're right, personally I thought it was OK.

You're right, personally I thought it was OK.

Yea, I changed my opinion from junk to average. I watched it all in the end. If I was grading it on IMDB I would give it 5.5 (that's not a rubbish grade, that's an average grade but as I mentioned before IMDB appears ot suffer from grade inflation). The "camera film found months later" plot-device is rubbish and really should be done away with as an excuse to make production cuts in movies, would have benefited greatly from traditional direction and a SCRIPT! The ad-lib was just so painstakingly obvious.

Reasonable.

edit: Finally, am I the only one to think that calling it "Cloverfield" was a done delibrately to give it a grungy edge that would appeal to the people who would most likely be watching it and subsequently reviewing it: The "Donnie Darko" Internet Generation?

I recommend 'The Mist'. At first it felt like a TV movie - but I remember by the end I was really impressed.

+1

Almost switched off at the start but it just got better and better.

+1

Almost switched off at the start but it just got better and better.

I'll check it out.

I recommend The Ruins

Okay after 10 mins the ad-lib was already annoying me, now bit of the way in the story line is apparent as a Godzilla in NYC but played straight-as-a-die with passable ad-lib.

Does it get better?

No.

That`s a couple of hours I`ll never get back :angry:

I thought that the mist was better than I expected too

The mist started off awful, turned out not too bad throughout but the twist at the end was so unexpected and pretty awful TBH that it turned the whole thing into a good film overall.

I'll give The Mist a go. But if it's anything like Cloverfield forget it.

If a film gets a rating of just 5.5, or below 7 for that matter, then life is too short to waste time on it imo. These days there are far better things to do than sit through dross :ph34r:

Anyone else here seen the new Harry Potter film? Just curious. I saw it yesterday in 3D.

I recommend 'The Mist'. At first it felt like a TV movie - but I remember by the end I was really impressed.

Good adaptation. Stephen King thought that the ending was an improvement over his ending (his ended about 5 minutes before the movie version did, sort of on a more inconclusive, downbeat note in a way as there seemed no hope of an end to the problem of the mist).

Cloverfield is a dreadful film.

Productions such as this are the reason why many prefer to download illegally and watch rather than pay cinema/parking prices of around £15-£20 for a night out at the local film-house to watch some Hollywood trash.

Cloverfield is a dreadful film.

Productions such as this are the reason why many prefer to download illegally and watch rather than pay cinema/parking prices of around £15-£20 for a night out at the local film-house to watch some Hollywood trash.

I concur.