House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

Even In Deepest West Country - Prices Falling Quickly

Went to Dorset/Wilts/Somerset borders this weekend - and was told by local that loads of new builds and conversions by local property "developers" for 20-30 miles around have just not sold - unless 25-30% [at least] discounts given..... Some have been on market for over 14 months - one in Ludwell nr Shaftesbury been on market for over 2 years!! Bloke there just would not accept for ages that his "3 bed luxury houses" - actually 3 space rabbit hutches, on side of main road!! - [5 feet from edge of A30!!] Tried selling them for £259k each!!! No garden, pub bang next door, trucks and lorries virtually scrape wall all times of day and night etc.!! - Anyway - the developer himself moved into 1 of 4 - others stuck on market since forever - although he may have sold one of them to total numpties!!!

All over west country - EA's totally empty - LOADS of rental properties all over the place!! NOT being let out!! e.g. Wincanton - FLOODED with TO Let properties/rabbit hutches nobody is interested in - total crap - mostly put up over last 14 months by greedy developers who thought the peak of boom 28 months ago would just go on for ever!! Loads of these places just sitting empty - looking like rabbit hutches from Mars....

Also - in other parts of Wilts - even so called "luxury" places are sticking badly - and "developers" are absolutely DESPERATE to sell them - http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16658

I find that very hard to believe. I have been assured over and over again on a number of different forums that property prices in the West Country cannot fall.

Everyone in the South East wants to live in the South West, apparently. Despite the crappy weather in the winter and the lack of employment opportunities for anyone young enough to still need or want employment.

They actually just want a place to spend a wet bank holiday, somewhere to brag about in the wine bars and rent it out the rest of the time, envisage a rose coloured retirement before selling up at a huge profit.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Everyone in the South East wants to live in the South West

I believe I know the (obsessed) individual you refer to.

To listen to him, everyone in the country wants to move to the South-West.

Apparently not! :)

envisage a rose coloured retirement before selling up at a huge profit.

And who are they going to sell to when it's time to realise their "gains" ? It certainly can't be the locals who need salaries many times what they are now ? House prices in Britain are already a national disgrace, but in Cornwall they are nothing short of repugnant.

Yup... South west..

Lovely here..

But wages are lower then most and in a lot of areas we are looking at london prices against homes..

Looking toward house price increase..

My sisters small flat in kensington london was bought at £90,000 pre boom..

Now its worth £150,000

My god.. thats a lot...?

Small flat in exeter...

£45,000 now £145,000

Price drops.. we are looking at twice the rate of inflation here.. then in London..

Yup... South west..

Lovely here..

But wages are lower then most and in a lot of areas we are looking at london prices against homes..

Looking toward house price increase..

My sisters small flat in kensington london was bought at £90,000 pre boom..

Now its worth £150,000

My god.. thats a lot...?

Small flat in exeter...

£45,000 now £145,000

Price drops.. we are looking at twice the rate of inflation here.. then in London..

Yes -- but many properties for sale in Bournemouth, and rest of Dorset and Wilts & Somerset - and many have been on market for many many months.