House Price Crash Forum

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jul/29/samsung-profits-down-smartphone-sales-up

Samsung does not seem to have overhauled Nokia as the world's largest seller of mobile phones, but the company saw strong sales of its smartphones in its just-reported quarter, despite a fall in its operating profit.

The South Korean company reported a 3.75 trillion won ($3.6bn) operating profit for the quarter from April to June, narrowly beating analyst forecasts. That was down 18% from 5.01tn won a year ago, as the company's flat screen unit reported a second quarter of losses and its mainstay chip business struggled.

The technology conglomerate joins a host of global companies in warning that fragile consumer demand is hurting sales of TVs, flat screens, computers and semiconductors.

The consumer led recovery in full swing. How many TV's do people need?

http://www.guardian....tphone-sales-up

The consumer led recovery in full swing. How many TV's do people need?

This could be a possible reason from the Daily Mash

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/it's-not-telly-if-you-watch-it-on-a-computer%2c-say-middle-class-people-201105043770/

Seriously though, in the last few years a lot of old TVs have been swapped out for new, fancy flat-screens and unfortunately for telly makers, everyone who wants one and can afford to get one probably already has one.

I'm still using the SONY Trinitron 100hz widescreen I purchased more than 10 years ago.

Excellent picture. Won't be buying anything else until (if?) it breaks.

My 10 year old philips died about a year ago. I considered a new lcd, then decided I preferred the picture on the old crt, so bought a 2nd hand one for £30.

Have decided to buy a new lcd now though, prices are about £100 cheaper at the 32" size than when I looked last year, but I'll wait till we've bought a house first. So once again I make the message, if you want the economy to start moving again, drop the cost of housing then we can get on with our lives again!

I'm still using the SONY Trinitron 100hz widescreen I purchased more than 10 years ago.

Could you please try harder and get with the consumerist plan?

New TVs have a lot more bells and whistles, you are supposed to crave them and upgrade more quickly

The other thing that is interesting is how difficult some of these TVs are to repair. Often the faults are minor, but many shops are reluctant to touch them, because many manufacturers are now booby-trapping them.

E.g. Pioneer plasma TVs have a booby trap on the main circuit board. If the TV is connected to the mains with covers removed, if certain types of test equipment are connected, a hidden circuit triggers a self-destruct system rendering the board useless and irreparable.

Without the manufacturer's proprietary tools that can disable the booby trap, it is impossible to service such TVs (unless you are capable of finding the booby-trap and reverse engineering it - which has been done for some TVs, e.g. made by JVC).

The other thing that is interesting is how difficult some of these TVs are to repair. Often the faults are minor, but many shops are reluctant to touch them, because many manufacturers are now booby-trapping them.

E.g. Pioneer plasma TVs have a booby trap on the main circuit board. If the TV is connected to the mains with covers removed, if certain types of test equipment are connected, a hidden circuit triggers a self-destruct system rendering the board useless and irreparable.

Without the manufacturer's proprietary tools that can disable the booby trap, it is impossible to service such TVs (unless you are capable of finding the booby-trap and reverse engineering it - which has been done for some TVs, e.g. made by JVC).

Years ago, TVs had valves which could be swapped out by a repair man or an enthusiastic owner when they broke. Things were actually designed to be repaired.

Just shows how far we've come from the bad old days.

Edited by Diver Dan

Years ago, TVs had valves which could be swapped out by a repair man or an enthusiastic owner when they broke. Things were actually designed to be repaired.

Just shows how far we've come from the bad old days.

Could be worse than that - go down the route of designing in repair booby traps and wouldn't put it past them to put in a few crappy components (like capacitors) they know will pop within say 5 years.

Two companies I will avoid like the plague from now on.

Also plenty happy anough with one of the lsat high end sony crt's (bought second hand). Also spending increaingly little to offset piss take saving rate.

Vive la recovery.

I did buy a Samsung TV! I don't think I will need another one for ten years! :huh:

I'm surprised that hasn't been challenged under EU laws, surely that must fall foul of something under the consumer laws.

I did buy a Samsung TV! I don't think I will need another one for ten years! :huh:

So did I last year. Won't be buying another now I hope for at least 10 years.

I recently bought an LED from samsung. Already had it replaced under warranty as the picture quality was naff, and am not 100% happy with the replacement. Can't see it lasting as long as my old CRT, Although it's much less intrusive.

LCD picture quality is appalling compared to old skool CRT and plasma.

I foolishly replaced my 10 year old iiyama crt monitor for a samsung LCD - I find the picture quite blurry, and find myself straining the eyes a bit more.

Like onlyme said, I starting to find myself buying good second hand stuff over new stuff these days, it's quite a refreshing experience knowing you are saving something from the scrap heap. I still can't see the point of 1080p HD tv's, yes I can see the difference, but at normal viewing distances SD is good enough - Most of the stuff I watch (old 70/80s series) is SD anyway.

I foolishly replaced my 10 year old iiyama crt monitor for a samsung LCD - I find the picture quite blurry, and find myself straining the eyes a bit more.

Like onlyme said, I starting to find myself buying good second hand stuff over new stuff these days, it's quite a refreshing experience knowing you are saving something from the scrap heap. I still can't see the point of 1080p HD tv's, yes I can see the difference, but at normal viewing distances SD is good enough - Most of the stuff I watch (old 70/80s series) is SD anyway.

I have a HD LG plasma for everyday viewing, I have had HD in varying guises for around 3 years and If I'm honest I hardly ever watch TV in HD the one exception is formula one.

Operating profit of $3.6bn is better than a kick in the balls though, eh?

As Diver Dan says most consumers who want a flat screen probably already have one and most people, except the gadget lovers, don't change for years. I've got a Samsung LCD in the bedroom that I've had for five years-ish now and there's no need to change it as it's perfectly adequate and has a good picture. Other drivers for TV sales are major sporting events so I'm sure there'll be plenty of sales for the Olympics and Euro footie championships, etc.

that's about where i'm at - i like the new samsung smart tv's, but as my current one is only 3 years old i won't be buying for hopefully at least another 7-12 years.

other than aesthetics i'm not sure how much further the tv market can be pushed:

black and white tv in a wooden shell

colour

plastic crt's

remote controls ooo.

advent of widescreen

plasmas

lcd flatscreens

3d

?

maybe the projection tv is next, but how many people have the space available to layout their room for a tv centrepiece, and how many would want to?

What model did you buy. All LCD's up scale standard definition, DVD etc, some better than others. So even SD look better, they do on my Samsung B650, which is years old now.

The main point in 1080p HD TV's is to watch 1080p quality material. You tried watching that on a CRT. Also XBOX,PS3 look worlds ahead on a 1080p HD TV . Sky etc broadcast in 720p.

The difference between 1080p and SD is like black & white to colour.

I recently bought an LED from samsung. Already had it replaced under warranty as the picture quality was naff, and am not 100% happy with the replacement. Can't see it lasting as long as my old CRT, Although it's much less intrusive.

What model?

I think the picture quality on mine is excellent.

LCD picture quality is appalling compared to old skool CRT and plasma.

Agree. I've yet to see one that beats my old SONY Trinitron.

I'm surprised that hasn't been challenged under EU laws, surely that must fall foul of something under the consumer laws.

They seem to claim it is for 'licensing' and 'copyright' purposes, not consumer harm.

Essentially, the new preferred signal connector type for HD TVs is the HDMI connector. This carries an encrypted signal, so that pirates can't simply dub directly from DVD-to-DVD - for HD content, e.g. Blu-ray discs, this encryption is mandatory, and it is illegal to sell a device which can play back HD content through a non-encrypted connection.

TVs, etc. must, fairly obviously, contain decryption chips (or decryption software in a CPU). These decryption chips/modules are only made available to authorised equipment manufacturers.

The manufacturers themselves are instructed to 'take measures to protect the security of the decryption modules', as if a manufacturer's keys get 'liberated', the manufacturer may have their license to purchase decryption modules withdrawn. If your business is making TVs, it's a bit of a problem if your TVs aren't compatible with DVD players, sky HD boxes, etc.

How many TVs does one household need they will not need replacing until the existing flat lot bought over the last five years start to fail......or until they think of some other new innovative way of watching TV that will insensitive the populace to do away with a perfectly good model in working order for the next fad in town...it is called growth turnover...that will always be there if you want to participate in the game. ;)

IMO, the SONY Trinitron picture was the pinnacle of CVT picture quality, which has yet to be bettered by flat screens. Your Trinitron with the 100hz picture scan is a very, very nice set-up indeed.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

They seem to claim it is for 'licensing' and 'copyright' purposes, not consumer harm.

Essentially, the new preferred signal connector type for HD TVs is the HDMI connector. This carries an encrypted signal, so that pirates can't simply dub directly from DVD-to-DVD - for HD content, e.g. Blu-ray discs, this encryption is mandatory, and it is illegal to sell a device which can play back HD content through a non-encrypted connection.

TVs, etc. must, fairly obviously, contain decryption chips (or decryption software in a CPU). These decryption chips/modules are only made available to authorised equipment manufacturers.

The manufacturers themselves are instructed to 'take measures to protect the security of the decryption modules', as if a manufacturer's keys get 'liberated', the manufacturer may have their license to purchase decryption modules withdrawn. If your business is making TVs, it's a bit of a problem if your TVs aren't compatible with DVD players, sky HD boxes, etc.

A great excuse to ramp up the cost of repairing TV's.

Thank god it's not been hacked.

I have a philpis match III line tv, its a old crt one with pixel plus, friends who come round always seem amazed at the quality of picture.

Its crisp, has depth of colour and i'd have to spend a lot of money to get a comparible picture in any of the flat screen sorts.

Only advantage of any led, lcd or a plasma tv is the space it takes up, but you have to take a hit on the image quality against a good quality crt.

Could it be something to do with people realising Samsung are next to impossible to repair because spares are next to impossible to source ?

LG are the same, must be a Korean thing ?

On the other hand Panasonic offer a six year guarantee !

My cousin collects scrap tvs etc from retailers , one of whom fills two skips every week with mostly Samsung and LG.

Edited by Walton Goggins

The main point in 1080p HD TV's is to watch 1080p quality material. You tried watching that on a CRT. Also XBOX,PS3 look worlds ahead on a 1080p HD TV . Sky etc broadcast in 720p.

The difference between 1080p and SD is like black & white to colour.

I've recently had to go back to SD after an extended period of HD on the xbox 360. The difference was enough that Stevie Wonder could have noticed. Massive jump in quality from SD to HD.