House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Christopher Jefferies Receives Substantial Damages.

Christopher Jefferies receives substantial damages from eight newspapers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8670114/Joanna-Yeatess-landlord-Chris-Jefferies-wins-libel-payout.html

Good for him :).

I was amazed at the coverage at the time. Okay, clearly, knacker of the yard thought he was dodgy, but the tabloids were leaving themselves open to being sued should he be cleared. I expect he will give the money to charity? Just kidding:)

Perhaps they reckoned the risk of being wrong was worth the extra sales?

Hopefully he took them to the cleaners...(this was someone who wasn't charged with any crime)...

jefferies2.png

Some of us said this from the very start. ;)

Christopher Jefferies receives substantial damages from eight newspapers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8670114/Joanna-Yeatess-landlord-Chris-Jefferies-wins-libel-payout.html

Good for him :).

Yebbut ...

Yes the papers deserve to lose. But does he deserve to win big?

I'd say a clear no. He's been cleared. Unambiguously: it's become a clear case of whatever led to his arrest was a red herring, not anything ambiguous like we still suspect you but we can't get a conviction. His reputation has not been damaged, and it's the press who have egg on their faces.

Given the number of genuine victims of all kind of greater wrongs who get sod all compensation, I'll say he doesn't deserve to be enriched. If he donates it to charity I'll say good on him. If he keeps it, I'll say he's a totally greedy bugger.

Yebbut ...

Yes the papers deserve to lose. But does he deserve to win big?

I'd say a clear no. He's been cleared. Unambiguously: it's become a clear case of whatever led to his arrest was a red herring, not anything ambiguous like we still suspect you but we can't get a conviction. His reputation has not been damaged, and it's the press who have egg on their faces.

Given the number of genuine victims of all kind of greater wrongs who get sod all compensation, I'll say he doesn't deserve to be enriched. If he donates it to charity I'll say good on him. If he keeps it, I'll say he's a totally greedy bugger.

he has had to leave his home here in bristol , you would recognise his mug anywhere ! narrow minded people would still view him with suspision.....you know the crack ( shit sticks ) he deserves every penny he gets . remember the clapham common murder...colin stag ..a bit weird = life fecked , how anyone does not see a more deserving case for compo, fecking tabloid sh!t press :angry:

he has had to leave his home here in bristol , you would recognise his mug anywhere ! narrow minded people would still view him with suspision.....you know the crack ( shit sticks ) he deserves every penny he gets . remember the clapham common murder...colin stag ..a bit weird = life fecked , how anyone does not see a more deserving case for compo, fecking tabloid sh!t press :angry:

...although with Stagg, didn't they try and honeytrap him, and when it failed, it left the Met with major proverbial egg on their faces? Moreover, I think his ordeal stretched over a number of years..

I hope this guy was awarded sums that would make a lottery jackpot winner weep with envy.

+1

He still looks like the bad guy from a Scooby Doo episode though.

+1,not exactly the best thought to pop into your head if he was your landlord.

Someone should dig up the HPC threads from the time of the arrest too ;)

We even wanted CRB checks on landlords

Personally, I think that "Trial by tabloid" is a far more serious matter than reading a few voicemails on phones without proper password protection.

Agreed.

But not half as serious as being crippled for life by a driver on the pavement. Or being a victim of our court system like (in just the last month or so's news) the Dowler family or Ms Fraill - the tip of an iceberg.

Someone should dig up the HPC threads from the time of the arrest too ;)

We even wanted CRB checks on landlords

I still think CRB checks on landlords is a good idea.

Glad this guy got some sort of compensation though.

remember the clapham common murder...colin stag ..a bit weird = life fecked ,

It was Wimbledon Common, and I lived less than a mile from there, was aged 19 at the time, and the son of a single parent who frequently took me to play on the common a decade or so earlier in exactly the same circumstances that the murder victim did. So, for obvious reasons, the case sticks in both mine and my mother's mind. The council estate intersecting Roehampton Lane and Clarence Lane is still nicknamed locally the Colin Stagg estate, almost two decades later, and I'm sure that if you stopped someone on the street in the vicinity and asked them who Stagg was, if they were able to answer at all they'd claim that he was the murderer.

His reputation has not been damaged

But it has, he will always be known for this from now on. It probably doesn't help as he 'looks' the part too.

I remember talking about this at work, and I'm sure the police would interview all residents in the street, yet why was his name leaked to the papers?!? We now know police sold this info (al la phone hacking scandal). The press should be made to pay for this...

I will also never forget watching live sky news when the Soham girls went missing. Some woman called the police because she saw two girls in red (like the football shirts they were wearing) in a car - the right thing to do - this was later explained to be someone innocent. But what did the press do? They hounded her at her front door (she was in a house where the front door was at the street) and claimed she was wasting police time. What message does that send? How did the press find out her address?