House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Hpi 2011 Q2 Ni

lolacarrascal

HOLA441

up 2.8% (seasonally adjusted) on Q1 2011 for all houses all buyers

down 9.8% (non-seasonally adjusted) on Q1 2011 for all houses all buyers

down 16.3% on Q1 2011 for all FTBer houses

down 7.2% for Former Owner Occupiers

link from here http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media1/economic_insight/halifax_house_price_index_page.asp

The Halifax data seems to have been more volatile than the other main indicies for some time, so caution perhaps needed in interpreting the data. Could speculate however that developers have had to reduce the price of new build FTBer homes in a difficult spring market. Any anecdotal evidence of that?

HOLA442

up 2.8% (seasonally adjusted) on Q1 2011 for all houses all buyers

down 9.8% (non-seasonally adjusted) on Q1 2011 for all houses all buyers

down 16.3% on Q1 2011 for all FTBer houses

down 7.2% for Former Owner Occupiers

link from here http://www.lloydsban..._index_page.asp

The Halifax data seems to have been more volatile than the other main indicies for some time, so caution perhaps needed in interpreting the data. Could speculate however that developers have had to reduce the price of new build FTBer homes in a difficult spring market. Any anecdotal evidence of that?

See other thread on index methodology going at at the moment...

I suspect that big movements in Halifax correlate with changes their mortgage criteria or certain offers.

HOLA443

See other thread on index methodology going at at the moment...

I suspect that big movements in Halifax correlate with changes their mortgage criteria or certain offers.

Thanks, I read through that and other interesting series of anaIysis posted by Free Trader.

I think the general feeling on the Northern Ireland forum is that transaction levels have been so low over the past year or more here, that local HPIs from the Halifax and Nationwide, which don't have a large market share of the local mortgage business to start with, needed to be treated with caution particularly over Q/Q, given the small sample size that the data must have been compiled from.

But I havn't been able to source any regional data on mortage business by lender to quantify this. I did some comparison work a while back between the main indicies in NI and when sample sizes had been much larger before the crash in Q2 2007, there was quite a remarkable degree of consistency, particularly when the DCLG index was regressed by one quarter to reflect the later point in the selling process from which it dates its data.