House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

injustice

Driveways Patio's Fences Etc.

My local club has leveled some waste ground at the side of the building (belonging to them), and built a low wall and concrete patio area. Total size aprox 40sq mtr. Should they have obtained planning permission first?

My local club has leveled some waste ground at the side of the building (belonging to them), and built a low wall and concrete patio area. Total size aprox 40sq mtr. Should they have obtained planning permission first?

Without more detail I`ll have a stab at this.

If the property belongs to them. The wall is low then I doubt any planning permission is required. The only problem they may have is if the ground is in a flood risk area they may need to apply for permission to cover such a large area with concrete. Certain councils insist that all new driveways are designed to allow water to soak through.

I'll take a guess and say it depends on what it's used for. If it's for people to congregate there, then that possibly creates a noise nuisance or privacy issues to anyone living next door. Residential properties are allowed high walls at the rear, but only low ones at the front I believe? It's probably the same for commercial.

Why do you ask?

If the property belongs to them. The wall is low then I doubt any planning permission is required.

Two metres is the limit in these parts at least - a friend checked with the council after her neighbour put up a barbed wire-topped monstrosity on the border with her garden. It was just within the 2m limit; surprise, surprise.

Certain councils insist that all new driveways are designed to allow water to soak through.

Which I'm sure that Fiddler O'F├╝ckerty will be srcupulously sure they are when he turns up in his caravan to re-do your driveway...

Thanks guys! The club want to erect a smoking shelter eventually. Neighbors are not happy, and one has reported the club to the council. The council have stopped any further work, until planning consent has been granted.