House Price Crash Forum
Quicken

1920 - 1946 Silver Coins?

Hello,

I am looking to invest a bit in silver, but am naturally keen to avoid VAT if possible. One interesting option seems to be the 50% silver British coins minted between 1920 and 1946. For example, this deal is pretty close to spot price for silver if I am reading the numbers correctly:

http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=silverinvestmentbags.html

5 kg is 160.75 troy ounces, and the spot price for silver is around £24.25.

160.75*24.25 = £3,898.

There doesn't seem to be a problem selling at a reasonable percentage relative to purer silver. Not saying this is the best place to sell, but they do have a calculator for different purities:

http://cashyoursilver.co.uk/

Am I missing anything?

I have heard people on here recommending pre-1920 coins, but I cannot see any online dealers selling them and I am not really keen on Ebay. Is there anywhere that does something similar to the above package in pre-1920 coins?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers :)

Hello,

I am looking to invest a bit in silver, but am naturally keen to avoid VAT if possible. One interesting option seems to be the 50% silver British coins minted between 1920 and 1946. For example, this deal is pretty close to spot price for silver if I am reading the numbers correctly:

http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=silverinvestmentbags.html

160.75*24.25 = £3,898.

There doesn't seem to be a problem selling at a reasonable percentage relative to purer silver. Not saying this is the best place to sell, but they do have a calculator for different purities:

Am I missing anything?

I have heard people on here recommending pre-1920 coins, but I cannot see any online dealers selling them and I am not really keen on Ebay. Is there anywhere that does something similar to the above package in pre-1920 coins?

Any help appreciated,

Old coins are classed as junk silver, which means that if you sell them to a bullion you'll get significantly less than the spot price. It might be better to stick to 1oz silver rounds, which you can buy second hand from dealers or on ebay, but there is currently a very large premium over spot price, which makes silver a poor investment. Better to wait until the premium drops. (I've heard the premium is much lower in other countries, e.g. New Zealand - might be worth trying to buy there instead.)

Keep an eye on ebay for bargain bullion*, I got a 500gm bar for £430 posted if you consider that reasonable?

At the time a 500gm bar was around £520 on bullion by post.

*Bullion grade has to be more salable than dated 50% coinage?... and I want a desirable product in hand, if neccesary to facilitate a quick sale when I decide to liquidate.

My advice with silver is to stick to recognisable units i.e. maples, branded bars etc.. unless you're going down the route of melting / assaying?

Pre-1920s are rare as hens teeth to buy in any meaningful quantity. I tried looking all over the place about 3 years ago. SPM Jewellers in Southampton have some Crowns and Half Crowns.

Thanks jonesinamillion, Money Spinner. I will consider my options in the next few weeks. I am hoping for a dip in Silver or Gold following the US debt ceiling agreement. :)

you don't need to buy pre 1940s or whatever to avoid VAT, you just need to buy silver coins which are legal tender. Eagles are legal tender and you can import them without VAT. Clarify with HMRC first, since you can spend eagles in the shops. The problem is Eagles have such a high premium it cancels out the VAT.

you don't need to buy pre 1940s or whatever to avoid VAT, you just need to buy silver coins which are legal tender. Eagles are legal tender and you can import them without VAT. Clarify with HMRC first, since you can spend eagles in the shops. The problem is Eagles have such a high premium it cancels out the VAT.

Yes, price proximity to spot and CGT exemption seem to be the key parameters to me.

What about Austrian metal? Philharmonics are legally Euros. e.g.:

http://www.bullionuk.com/products/silver/coins/austria/wiener_philharmoniker_2011_vienna_philharmonic_2011_1oz_silver.html

I am going to Vienna on business briefly in September. I'd be keen to pick up some metal there if there are price/tax advantages, but I see they also have 20% VAT. Austrian gold would also be of interest of course.

Cheers, Q

One of many definitions of JUNK is.....

Seemingly useless rubbish which sits around for months and is inevitably disposed of the day before it is needed.

When silver sky rockets......lets say.......£100 an ounce or more.

A half crown will be worth £22.50 in silver content.

I wouldnt call that junk.

:lol:

One of many definitions of JUNK is.....

Seemingly useless rubbish which sits around for months and is inevitably disposed of the day before it is needed.

When silver sky rockets......lets say.......£100 an ounce or more.

A half crown will be worth £22.50 in silver content.

I wouldnt call that junk.

:lol:

and the reality is that whilst it still has a significant value that it remains junk.

Try and see what you can get for 50% silver compared to spot for pure.

Point me to someone that refine 50% silver without wanting a large %.

50% is junk.

Junk is junk.

That is all.

Pre 1920 coins are sterling silver aka 92.5 and not 50%.

You do that math.

The thread is about 1920-1946 coinage, A.K.A 50%......Genius :lol:

Fk me, if you dont know what you are talking about then dont embarrass yourself, just shush and learn.

The thread consists of both pre 1920 and post 1920 coins. Maybe if you scroll up you will see the thread lead onto other areas.

If i owned 100 50% coins. Lets say half crowns. Thats over 2k's worth when silver hits £100 an ounce.

A half crown is 14.1 grams in weight.

Buy now, sell later.........ebay is a wonderful thing.

:D

The thread consists of both pre 1920 and post 1920 coins. Maybe if you scroll up you will see the thread lead onto other areas.

If i owned 100 50% coins. Lets say half crowns. Thats over 2k's worth when silver hits £100 an ounce.

A half crown is 14.1 grams in weight.

Buy now, sell later.........ebay is a wonderful thing.

:D

yes, and then you have to sell it.

feebay looks close to spot but when you knock off the listing fees, final value fees and paypoo fees then there is a fat chunk missing.

Then there are the additional risks.

And where else can you sell this junk? One of the best places that I know of is this http://www.ukscrapgold.co.uk/ and for 50% there is a fair % away from spot because of the refining costs.

The thread was specifically about 50%, it may have moved around a little but does anyone need to discuss sterling? That is what it is.

I understand where you are coming from. I dont discount junk and have quite a lot of 50% coinage. It does have a significant value and will likely be worth much more but there are realities that must be faced when planning your exit.

Hello,

http://www.24carat.c...stmentbags.html

160.75*24.25 = £3,898.

Am I missing anything?

Any help appreciated,

I note that Chard are offering impressively tight margins on this form of silver sale - that should set alarm bells ringing. My personal opinion is that Chard is run by a very capable businessman who bargains keenly on sales and purchases e.g. a 30% premium on 1 kilo allocated bars including 1 years storage

http://www.24carat.c...auxprecieux.php

Why would Chard offer you such a stunning bargain on these old 50% silver coins? Perhaps because they're not such a bargain after all when you try to sell them.

I'm not saying you won't make a profit but I prefer .999 for ease of disposal.

I also agree with Number79's last comment about the possible 'realities' when selling.