House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Sorning

I've got a bike that I bought off a family member about three years ago...Didn't get the V5 with it...I've finally decided to put it back off the road, so I want to get a replacement. Its been kept off the road, and kept in the shed in all that time...I noticed that the new SORN rules came in not long ago...aren't the new rules for new applications only, and it wont be backdated? I dont want to get done for not telling them whats happened to it over the last three years...

I've got a bike that I bought off a family member about three years ago...Didn't get the V5 with it...I've finally decided to put it back off the road, so I want to get a replacement. Its been kept off the road, and kept in the shed in all that time...I noticed that the new SORN rules came in not long ago...aren't the new rules for new applications only, and it wont be backdated? I dont want to get done for not telling them whats happened to it over the last three years...

If the bike is 1992 or older you should be ok.

If it's newer than that there could be issues.

I know as I applied to SORN a 1992 bike that had been off the road for a while before I bought it and was told I didn't have to by DVLA due to it's age.

If the bike is 1992 or older you should be ok.

If it's newer than that there could be issues.

I know as I applied to SORN a 1992 bike that had been off the road for a while before I bought it and was told I didn't have to by DVLA due to it's age.

Its a J plate, so its about that age...just found out its been off the road for the last five years, and I've "owned" it for roughly three of that.

It's not the age of the vehicle that matters as such, its how long it's been off the road. If it was last taxed in the pre-SORN days (prior to 31st Jan 1998) then there is no need to SORN it.

I have a car which has been off the road since 1997 and a bike off the road since 1995 both stored in a relative's barn. Neither are SORNed as they were last taxed pre-1998.

Edit: Have you tried looking on the tax disc online site to see when it was last taxed or sorned? You only need the make and the reg number.