House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Local Northants Paper Reporting Prices Rising.

I read this article today with some interest:

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/local/corby/new_figures_show_rise_in_house_sales_and_prices_1_2907001

It clearly states:

"Average house prices have risen in every part of north Northamptonshire over the past 12 months.

New figures released by the Land Registry show the average county home is now worth £174,963, an annual rise of 1.2 per cent"

But the land registry for Northamptonshire clearly shows a 2.5 yoy decline. The average price also being:

June 2011 239.8 £134,515 0.0 -2.3

In a fit of rage/indignation I've written to the editor and the press complaints commission.

I will await their reply with some interest.

I would love to know how the chap writing the letter got his figures !!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

" every part of north Northamptonshire"

Not the entire county, just the north of northants.

Methinks the author has selected certain regions in the north of the county in order spin this.

He might well have done, though I'm not sure which part of the county.

Unfortunately, they have categorically stated "Average house prices have risen in every part of north Northamptonshire"..which, as far as I can tell from the Land registry data, is not the case. If the YOY figure is -2.5% it is not possible that this is true.

I think I have a strong case with the PCC.

I applaud you for making the effort to get this corrected.

Unfortunately the process seems so slow that even if a complaint is upheld then it takes months to get a retraction

(and even then they just change a few words on an article everyone has forgotten about and carry on).

Mind you, by the time this complaint gets through the system, house prices should be down another few percent! :)

Edited by Bear Necessities

" every part of north Northamptonshire"

Not the entire county, just the north of northants.

Methinks the author has selected certain regions in the north of the county in order spin this.

Yeah Maybe the North is defined by those parts of the north that by sheer fluke, happened to look as though they were going up. I bet on the volumes though, the figures are meaningless. And with the way the LR figures work, it just takes a few houses to be done up and flipped at a higher price to be classed as having gone "up in value".

I applaud you for making the effort to get this corrected.

Unfortunately the process seems so slow that even if a complaint is upheld then it takes months to get a retraction

(and even then they just change a few words on an article everyone has forgotten about and carry on).

Mind you, by the time this complaint gets through the system, house prices should be down another few percent! :)

Thanks, I think it important to make a point. They seemed to have stopped printing rubbish like that on the Northampton Chronicle and Echo website because every time they printed some rubbish 10 people knocked it down in flames, at least I like to think that's the reason. This paper is a sister paper to the C&E though. I see some others have also made a point of saying what rubbish it is.

I'll update this thread when I get some feedback.

Also, what makes it even funnier is when it states "Sales Up"...sales for Northants are at the 2nd lowest sales volumes EVER.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Well done for taking it to 'em.

There'll be a three-line correction at the bottom of page 12 (under the Obits) in 9 months time.

This is on the fringes of the area I am looking to buy into one day, so I have a little more than a passing interest. Anything we can do to turn sentiment is very welcome, but I fear Shrink Proof may be right, a tiny correction hidden away near the back is all the PCC seem to be able to enforce.