HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

he has been missed from our screens for some time. i dont think they repeat enough of barker as it is.

hes a classic. he will always live on through his work, which is still relevant today.

looking forward to a run on the back catalogue.

he will be missed.

he finally got hit by the curse of the phantom rasberry blower of old london town.

HOLA4412
Guest The Dude

Have to agree with all the other posters here. Porridge is without doubt one of the best sitcoms ever and Fletcher was an absolute diamond. Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais were brilliant scriptwriters but undoubtedly Ronnie Barker brought Norman Stanley Fletcher to life. My fave book at the moment is Porridge: The Scripts. I have seen Porridge so many times and I never get bored. Reading the scripts from this book brings it to life again. One of my fave Porridge moments: Norris, having been sold a fake treasure map, digging up Elland Road. And yes, I did fancy Ingrid...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Ronnie Barker was to comedy what Freddie Mercury was to music, bloody fantastic and they will both live on for ever through their talent.

He did break the mould in quite a few ways but he was still "mainstream comedy" rather than "new wave" comedy. Ref Open all Hours was pretty mainstream although better than most.

Edited by penbat1

HOLA4416

The definition of classic comedy is when you laugh when you already know the punchline.

Barkehh! done this. The news section at the end of their show has jokes that are still told today.

A true genius that contributed so much joy to millions.

God Bless Ronnie Barker

HOLA4417
He did break the mould in quite a few ways but he was still "mainstream comedy"

Barker's incredible talent was to write and perform comedy (huge amounts of it!) which was genuinely "safe" for the whole family and yet still guaranteed to make just about anyone laugh. Modern comedy is no less entertaining, but it's rarely so broad in its appeal.

It's a sad day, but it's still hard not to smile when you think of what he left behind for us. Thanks Ronnie.

Andrew McP

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

One of the very few actor/comedians who could crease you up without even having to open his mouth. Only Peter Sellers and Leonard Rossiter come to mind in the same class... Irreplaceable geniuses all..

"The man who invented the zip fastener was today honoured with a lifetime peerage. He will now be known as the Lord of the Flies."

"The toilets at a local police station have been stolen. Police say they have nothing to go on."

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

porridge was a british classic in the same mold as monty python and fawlty towers and the good life, its a national treasure that wont ever be forgotten.

most of the cast now are dead, only a few months ago the scots guard died, and fletchers cellmate goper died very young indeed.

HOLA4423
Guest muttley
most of the cast now are dead, only a few months ago the scots guard died, and fletchers cellmate goper died very young indeed.

Fulton MacKay died? I didn't know!

I recently saw Tony Osoba,who played Scottish hard case McLaren,in a production of "The King and I" of all things.

Ronnie Barker was a true comedy genius,and a great comedy actor.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425