House Price Crash Forum
Gerinako

'double Council Tax' Call On Devon's Second Homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-14321608

Some of Devon's second home owners should pay double the amount of council tax, it has been claimed.

Julian Brazil, who is leader of the Liberal Democrat Group for South Hams District Council, said they "should pay for the privilege".

He has suggested the motion which will be discussed at a meeting at the authority on Thursday.

Second home owners in the area currently receive a 10% council tax discount on their second property.

Mr Brazil said: "We're running out of money, we're having to cut services and this would be a way of raising funds.

In the South Hams district, BBC Research conducted earlier in July showed there were 4,115 second homes.

Mr Brazil said his proposal could make an estimated £8m a year.

'Lucky enough'

"If people are fortunate enough to have a second home they should pay for that privilege."

Devon has a total of 14,137 second homes, according to the BBC research.

Mr Brazil said: "The proposal is not against second home owners - the council tax is incredibly unfair.

"People who are lucky enough to own two homes should pay a little bit more."

Mr Brazil is putting the proposal to the Conservative-run council on Thursday.

He said if the proposal was agreed at a local level, Westminster would have to agree it before it could come into force.

Lets get this parteh started. :)

And tax the shit out of empty speculative properties both retail and residential.

Land banks too.

Steady on!

http://www.classic.co.uk/special-offer/desc-2356.html

Kirstie's got a holiday home in Devon. It only lets out for 2K-4K a week year round. And they've got the cheek to suggest her 10% Council Tax second home discount is removed?

Whatever next!

Edited by juvenal

Steady on!

Kirstie's got a seond home in Devon. It only lets out for 2K-4K a week year round. And they've got the cheek to suggest her 10% Council Tax second home discount is removed?

Whatever next!

she would deffo phone in and complain...oh wait....she cant, she's lost her ring.

It's about time, let them tax the lot and see how the house hoarders drop their pwoperdee like a hot pile of crap. :lol:

Great news for the locals who have been priced out for so long, they may even be able to afford to live in the areas they have grown up in...shocking thought eh? This is a vote winning move for sure but it's in the right direction for once!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-14321608

Some of Devon's second home owners should pay double the amount of council tax, it has been claimed.

Julian Brazil, who is leader of the Liberal Democrat Group for South Hams District Council, said they "should pay for the privilege".

He has suggested the motion which will be discussed at a meeting at the authority on Thursday.

Second home owners in the area currently receive a 10% council tax discount on their second property.

Mr Brazil said: "We're running out of money, we're having to cut services and this would be a way of raising funds.

In the South Hams district, BBC Research conducted earlier in July showed there were 4,115 second homes.

Mr Brazil said his proposal could make an estimated £8m a year.

'Lucky enough'

"If people are fortunate enough to have a second home they should pay for that privilege."

Devon has a total of 14,137 second homes, according to the BBC research.

Mr Brazil said: "The proposal is not against second home owners - the council tax is incredibly unfair.

"People who are lucky enough to own two homes should pay a little bit more."

Mr Brazil is putting the proposal to the Conservative-run council on Thursday.

He said if the proposal was agreed at a local level, Westminster would have to agree it before it could come into force.

For the reasons highlighted this proposal has NO CHANCE of coming into effect

Tories look after their own <_<

A few grand a year is nothing when prices are changing by tens of thousands.

Stick it up to 5% of the land value, then they'll have some incentive.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

Lets get this parteh started. :)

And tax the shit out of empty speculative properties both retail and residential.

Land banks too.

Making commercial landlords pay the full business rate on empty factory buildings appears to be working out very nicely.... speculative landlords are $hitting their pants big time. I've never seen so many buildings offered for sale or rent.... selling a commercial building is something spiv landlords never used to do... now they can't wait to get shot.

A few grand a year is nothing when prices are changing by tens of thousands.

Stick it up to 5% of the land value, then they'll have some incentive.

its not just the house itself, its the lost revenue in councils who I beleive can only get 6 weeks rates from the empty homes.

I agree this is the right thing to do, but wouldn't these people with 2 properties then just designate there Devon home as their primary residence to avoid the double council tax? - For this to work properly, I think it would need to be done nationally.

For the reasons highlighted this proposal has NO CHANCE of coming into effect

Tories look after their own <_<

We'll see if camroons idea that local decisions should be made at a local level not by Westminster.

Making commercial landlords pay the full business rate on empty factory buildings appears to be working out very nicely.... speculative landlords are $hitting their pants big time. I've never seen so many buildings offered for sale or rent.... selling a commercial building is something spiv landlords never used to do... now they can't wait to get shot.

The rumour is that there's massive arrears for business rates, owed by landlords, that the local councils are unable to collect.

Normally, they'd send the bailiffs round but when it's a choice between an empty office block in this country and a PO box in the Cayman Islands there's not much point.

Landlords are gambling the extent of council's enforcement action will be sternly worded letters - and they're probably right TBH.

I agree this is the right thing to do, but wouldn't these people with 2 properties then just designate there Devon home as their primary residence to avoid the double council tax? - For this to work properly, I think it would need to be done nationally.

If that happens then at least Devon wouldn't be worse off any longer due to having a higher proportion of holiday homes than most areas. Maybe they'll be satisfied if that's the result.

The rumour is that there's massive arrears for business rates, owed by landlords, that the local councils are unable to collect.

Normally, they'd send the bailiffs round but when it's a choice between an empty office block in this country and a PO box in the Cayman Islands there's not much point.

Landlords are gambling the extent of council's enforcement action will be sternly worded letters - and they're probably right TBH.

Just take away those properties, its that simple.

Surely there must be some way for a local authority to collect council tax from absentee landlords. I would expect that the threat of a CPO or to take a cut the next time the property changes hands ought to do the trick.

Then "they" will just allocate the property to their wifes name...

Some rule will no doubt be brought in, but there will be a clever little loophole (that obviously no-one could have forseen :rolleyes: ) enabling those who can afford the services of a toady solicitor to avoid paying.

Surely there must be some way for a local authority to collect council tax from absentee landlords. I would expect that the threat of a CPO or to take a cut the next time the property changes hands ought to do the trick.

But surely if the bailifs go in and there is no assets in the office then they should take ownership of the office and sell it, obviously this should be a last resort, they should take the money owed out of the sale and hold the rest and its upto the landlord to come forward. Would make landlords think twice about hiding from council tax and I bet they would come forward pretty quick to collect their money where they should then be arrested and charged with not paying council tax and fined on top. :)

Just take away those properties, its that simple.

Problem is banks own the properties - taxpayers own the banks and a fire sale of commercial property would mean more taxpayer's money to support insolvent banks.

those second home owners bring millions of pounds to the area for spending. They pay high prices for the houses, which is given to people locally - they can choose how they spend it. Those people then fund the overpriced shops and restaurants and basically inject a whole load of new (non-local) money into the economy. Without it, the council will lose a fortune from its revenues.

It's also illegal under EU law. But carry on.

those second home owners bring millions of pounds to the area for spending. They pay high prices for the houses, which is given to people locally - they can choose how they spend it. Those people then fund the overpriced shops and restaurants and basically inject a whole load of new (non-local) money into the economy. Without it, the council will lose a fortune from its revenues.

How do you work that out?

They bump up prices forcing locals out. They only us it at weekends or in the summer which means shops get less foot flow through the door so have to as you say make things over priced, this drives away tourism and reduces employment. How is that good.

I agree just taking the house away is illegal but doubling of the council tax that could then be used to help generate local buisness or build affordable housing for locals is a great idea.

But the forum lefties are out in full force today. Common sense does not apply.:D

I grew up in the south hams. Beautiful area, I was so spoiled by the experience that almost no where else in the south matches up with it and I can't find anywhere I would really like to live. Trouble is, there is no job for me in that area. There is so little industry, it's a very deprived are. So yes having visitors is important financially for the area. However, this also adds extra burdens on the locals, the council tax and water rates are amongst the highest in the country, the tourists come in such huge numbers that they use a significant amount of those resources leaving the locals to pick up the tab. I think it is entirely fair that second homes across the land are taxed double. Homes are supposedly in short supply so there should be a huge disencentive for people to own more than one, especially if it is not being put into the rental market and only been used as a holiday home.

The idea of taxing tourists has a long history in devon, when I was there they tried to introduce a hotel room tax. It never got through, businesses complained.

If people didn't own a holiday home, would they still visit? Of course they would, maybe not as often, but they could stay in hotels giving thier money to theses businesses.

As for the idea that buying second homes puts this purchase money into the hands of locals is wide of the mark. Most often there places are inherited properties ( devon has one of the oldest populations in the uk) so the money goes to the kids who are most likely living it big in the south east!

They bump up prices forcing locals out. They only us it at weekends or in the summer which means shops get less foot flow through the door so have to as you say make things over priced, this drives away tourism and reduces employment. How is that good.

they are 'extra people in the area'. There isn't a great Devonian diaspora because of a shortage of houses, the main problem there is a shortage of work that isn't funded by the tourists and second home owners one way or another..... so you leave for that reason. No, don't tell me, actually all of the local people are capable of earning great money through their web businesses...... in which case, why can't you afford the houses in the first place ?

The shops don't get less foot flow, they get lumpier foot flow by these people have far more disposable income and buy far more 'higher margin things' - they don't just have Fortnums send a man with it.

Their money is new, and is not just a recycling of local money. The people who sell to them - what do they do with their money - oh yes, buy other houses and spend it - velocity of money and all that.

Will you also be pro-demanding enormous taxes of all the retired Honda drivers who come down there, living in those nice houses and not working and only eating little portions and not buying surfboards or eating in restaurants except when it's the pensioner special ?

This sort of stuff is as deluded as "no tax for all", "free healthcare and everyone to get a guaranteed place at Oxbridge" .... it's grandstanding Barry Hollocks. A total waste of effort and only the deluded fall for it....

FWIW, I don't think second home owners should get any discount, but I also don't believe they use the same proportion of services as the full time locals, so it would seem already to be 'overpaying' to pay full council tax.

Edited by Rachman

The village I grew up in turned into a wasteland of beige over 30 years...

...the pubs...levelled now flats for second homes...

....the schools...levelled now flats for second homes....

...the only "money" spent was on property...

...at the end of the day all that is left is a clump of cottages, half of them empty eight months of the year, three vases with twigs in every window...

...the only winter population a few doddery pensioners...

...and a high street with a couple of wine bars lots of estate agents...

...mostly these places look like Portmeirion out of The Prisoner