House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Have Technical Interview Friday On Windows Server

From job desc. which was fairly generic I need to know Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, HP Servers, Active Directory. What would the most likely questions they ask be?

Could be anything of several thousand questions - sorry.

several k questions if you please.

Id throw in the odd 2K3 and Seekwal words to sound convincing...oh, and virtual computing...very very big.

Pardon? :lol:

There is a parameter that limits the maximum number of connections that TCP may have open simultaneously. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \Tcpip \Parameters]

TcpNumConnections = 0x00fffffe (Default = 16,777,214)

Note a 16 Million connection limit sounds very promising, but there are other parameters (See below), which keeps us from ever reaching this limit.

I wasnt thinking of that one, I was thinking of UNC shares that use up the nonpaged memory pool becuase it will not exceed 250mb on 2000 & 2003 becuase on these OS's the limit is set at startup, its not static in later versions of Windows servers.

It means that 250mb which is used for UNC shares has to compete with other things like drivers for a share of that 250mb, it means that whilst you can in theory have 1024 connections, you will never get the server anywhere up to that number of connections becuase the SMB will grind the machine to a halt even when you tune the server by doing things like reduce the oplocks timeout from the default 35secs.

Oh the joys of being a programmer. :blink:

Edit: Besides the hardware physically couldnt handle that volume and I doubt even sticking a SSD drive would cope either although they werent around then.

probably a fair point, but we are in 2011 now.

Id throw in the odd 2K3 and Seekwal words to sound convincing...oh, and virtual computing...very very big.

Ah yes, virtual computing. That's where the MD runs an app on his macbook that simulates a datacenter right? Means he can effectively run a big HA website off his desk.

spend an afternoon looking and answering server fault questions (like stack overflow for for server and IT support types), should get you upto speed pretty quickly. And you will get lots of lovely points...

http://serverfault.com/

http://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/windows-server-2008

http://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/windows-server-2008+active-directory

What do they do?

Chances are you'll be asked how to create new users with rights using AD & Exchange, possibly some domain & mail maintaince. You cant do much with 2k3 & Exchange tbh day to day apart from applying patches but it depends on their size but as windows cant handle more than 1024 connections they might have setup multiple servers so you'll need to know about domain forests then.

http://technet.micro...28WS.10%29.aspx

I'd say that is about right, though also think about backup and anti-virus precautions as well, and also good if you have knowledge about mobile clients and secruity.

They might also be thinking of upgrades in the future, so might be worth know about the latest versions and possibily cloud solutions, just to show you are ontop of the market.

I'd say that is about right, though also think about backup and anti-virus precautions as well, and also good if you have knowledge about mobile clients and secruity.

They might also be thinking of upgrades in the future, so might be worth know about the latest versions and possibily cloud solutions, just to show you are ontop of the market.

On the HP side, perhaps look into the HP specific remote management interfaces and PXE boot etc. Otherwise all servers are basically the same. Also do they use HPOpenview, MS System center etc.