House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
debtfree

Land Fill Sites

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100ne...-name_page.html

A while back i mentioned a good friend is a geologist and is checking for land contamination. According to him there are hundreds of sites in just one county that are contaminated. He only purchased a property last July but still thought the amount of contamination could cause a large reduction in house prices. The above link says it all.

From what I know of gardening and houses most of the soil around a house will be imported topsoil. You'd have to dig fairly deeply to bring up old soil.

So has the poisonous soil been imported or are they saying stuff is working its way up through the soil?

Because if so "It then emerged that houses affected by the contaminated land would need to be cleaned, with layers of soil scraped away and replaced. " then that won't help.

Do you think now is the time for a radical approach to landfill and waste?

I can remember many tales like this over the years.

Seems a good idea to use brownfield sites for housing.

However, if the cleanup isn't total, problems come later.

Also, on some types of reclaimed sites subsidence rears it's ugly head.

If buying anything, try to check the history of the site.

Been a while since I covered this sort of stuff, but I seem to remember the responsibility for clean up lies with the current land owner. Not whoever was originally responsible for the contamination on the site.

House ownership just seems less and less attractive all the time.

/G

the whole brownfeild issue os causing problems with plot allocation for affordable housing.

for instance.

south ribble council (preston area) wont approve any building land other than their old manky ex industrial lands. any developer that wants to build new housing are offered a poor selection of sites to clean up first, then build. also the costs of the bad land are very high as well !!!

this is the council holding house builders to ransom. the council are using both the brownfield guides and the current housing crisis to get a lot of land cleaned up on the cheap. the clean up costs of post industrial sites is enormous. so large its putting off local developers.

who pays ? - the ftb in increased housing costs.

a local housing association had been complaining of this last month.

the council have hardly made any move since. they only offer a take it or leave it attitude.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Been a while since I covered this sort of stuff, but I seem to remember the responsibility for clean up lies with the current land owner. Not whoever was originally responsible for the contamination on the site.

House ownership just seems less and less attractive all the time.

/G

If the bulders can be contacted then they are liable. If not you are liable for clean up costs. The problem is that many sites being checked are going back to the 60s which give you no hope of gettng the builder, even during the 70s and 80s your going to have trouble contacting the builder. Sites dating back to 1950 are being checked and ALL have to meet todays contamination standards. :blink:

The budget for this nationwide project is a few billion and is projected to last at least 10 years.