House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

There's Nothing Worth Buying In Northampton...

I've been looking at the Northamptonshire area on rightmove for 3+ years now for a reasonably priced decent house.

This summer not only are there no reasonably priced houses there are no decent houses either.

It's the same over-priced rubbish that has been floating about for 3 years. I've viewed pretty much everything I thought I might potentially buy...most were s***e.

I think I have a new illness, called, Righmove Fatigue. I'm off up the Social to sign on the sick.

I've been looking at the Northamptonshire area on rightmove for 3+ years now for a reasonably priced decent house.

This summer not only are there no reasonably priced houses there are no decent houses either.

It's the same over-priced rubbish that has been floating about for 3 years. I've viewed pretty much everything I thought I might potentially buy...most were s***e.

I think I have a new illness, called, Righmove Fatigue. I'm off up the Social to sign on the sick.

Much the same picture in most places think you will find..

Much the same picture in most places think you will find..

That's what I was wondering.

I'm guessing most people in their nice houses and fairly stable jobs are able to sit on them ( with the low IRs ) hoping everything is going to be okay. The wont be able to afford to move at the mo, or are sitting in NE, but they can just sit in them and they are.

The market is f***ked until the IRs go up.

Everyone should be writing to their MPs on a monthly basis saying them wont vote for them because a) their savings anre being hammered B) they are subsidising people to be in houses when they can't afford one and c) not one banker, or politician, has been prosecuted for what has happened.

It's a sad state of affairs and something has got to give soon.

Same here.

I wouldn't want to live in any of the relatively, reasonably priced houses I see listed. They are sitting there for sale, month after month. As are the unreasonably priced houses..

+1

And here too (North Cheshire).

What I can't understand is that properties coming on the market here are getting more and more expensive, with prices that would make people in the Surrey commuter belt feel like they were being mugged. There is no good reason that prices here should be comparable with the home counties or Greater London, yet they now are.

The end result is that most of what is on the market has been stuck there for a long time, and won't sell at anything like that price, and what is coming to the market is WAY overpriced and will do the same. The market is stagnant, and the transaction rates are awful. The odd ones that do go SSTC also seem to come back on a few weeks later, albeit at the same (or higher!) price. I suspect the chain or finance proved too much.

At the price point we're looking at there is absolutely nothing interesting, or even worth looking at. A couple of years ago when we started looking (nervously) there would be 2-3 a month we would investigate further. Now there is nothing, and there hasn't been all year. Like you, I'm rather sick of trawling Rightmove as a result.

I'm looking in Northamptonshire too, and you're right it's pretty much tired old guff.. Usually suffering from one or more of:

No garden, thanks to being sold off to build another house

Dire need of modernisation (pine panel ceilings all the rage)

Box bedrooms

Nice house surrounded by 'affordable housing' new builds

Dual carriage way in the back garden

Grade listing

And of course 2007 +10% pricing

Ofsted reports showing scores of 3 or 4 across the board

Same story in Gloucestershire too - I imagine it's a countrywide thing

Finding properties with motivated sellers is very hard. We have looked around a few this year - 1 was a repo very nice, but someone was prepared to pay more. Another we negotiated the seller down to below what they paid for it, but wouldn't budge any further, so it was taken off the market (wanted to sell to move in with partner so their living in limbo now).

The third house we viewed was spot on - The best house we have seen so far in 4 years of searching. Quick sale was needed so it was well priced, but out bid by a cash investor.

These are the only 3 properties this year in the whole county that have appealed to us in our price bracket. A few more outside our budget but most sellers have their heads in the clouds.

Give Primelocation a go as well. In the town we would most like to live, it has all the agents RM has, and another 3 as well (i guess it is cheaper for EA's to list on Primelocation) AND Property Bee works on it too, and you can sort from newest to oldet properties.

+1

What I can't understand is that properties coming on the market here are getting more and more expensive, with prices that would make people in the Surrey commuter belt feel like they were being mugged. There is no good reason that prices here should be comparable with the home counties or Greater London, yet they now are.

I have a theory on this. The only people buying houses ( or at least the majority of people buying BIG houses outside london) are those selling up in London ( to some mug) and moving back home ( or to the country ) These people have huge deposits from the sales of their houses and these over-priced houses look like a bargain to them. So, rather than working out they've got lucky, banking half the money and haggling a good deal, the pay over the odds...keeping the E.As going and thinking a recovery is just around the corner and the locals priced out.

When London collapses we should see some real HPC fun.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I have a theory on this. The only people buying houses ( or at least the majority of people buying BIG houses outside london) are those selling up in London ( to some mug) and moving back home ( or to the country ) These people have huge deposits from the sales of their houses and these over-priced houses look like a bargain to them. So, rather than working out they've got lucky, banking half the money and haggling a good deal, the pay over the odds...keeping the E.As going and thinking a recovery is just around the corner and the locals priced out.

I think that is a fair point.

No, it isn't. North Cheshire is and always has been expensive, going back to the days of the mills - it's where the mill owners lived, hence why there are so many big old homes as well as new build footballer monstrosities.

I bet you believe the BBC move has pushed up prices in the area too?

Edit: That is, you can't generalise for the whole country outside of London. Parts of Cheshire, and Harrogate etc. are comparable to the SE for prices.

Edited by efdemin

I would not feel relaxed in that bath. Having things that can fall on your head whilst relaxing is not safe IMPO.

It is almost as dangerous IMPO as the one posted a few weeks ago with a PS3 below it and a flat panel directly above it.

I would not feel relaxed in that bath. Having things that can fall on your head whilst relaxing is not safe IMPO.

It is almost as dangerous IMPO as the one posted a few weeks ago with a PS3 below it and a flat panel directly above it.

Are you one of those people who don't buy a house because you don't the colour of the paint on the walls?

+1

The end result is that most of what is on the market has been stuck there for a long time, and won't sell at anything like that price, and what is coming to the market is WAY overpriced and will do the same. The market is stagnant, and the transaction rates are awful. The odd ones that do go SSTC also seem to come back on a few weeks later, albeit at the same (or higher!) price. I suspect the chain or finance proved too much.

At the price point we're looking at there is absolutely nothing interesting, or even worth looking at. A couple of years ago when we started looking (nervously) there would be 2-3 a month we would investigate further. Now there is nothing, and there hasn't been all year. Like you, I'm rather sick of trawling Rightmove as a result.

Sorry it must be me. Some people take the weather with them, I take high house prices.

Moved from Yorkshire to Scotland 2008 so Yorkshire fell off a cliff but Scotland prices were sticky.

Moved from Scotland to Cheshire 2010 and this year some of the houses on the market in Scotland we looked at have dropped loads (£450k to £350k, £300k to £190k, etc) Now we are here Cheshire new to the market seem to be shooting up.

I am not a mortgage broker doing liar loans honest!

I will move to a new location if people looking for cheaper houses club together and pay me a fat fee.

Am feeling your pain. Potentially as this is a "mental illness", then you might well qualify for sickness benefits?!

I am tired too - no one is building, interest rate rises are a long way off, & good houses continue to sell for asking price with no discount. I am beginning to think that it is me who is deluded & have my head in the clouds, rather than sellers...