House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lepista

Third Lottery Win!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14304635

A lucky US mother and daughter from North Carolina have beaten all the odds by winning the lottery three times.

Kimberly McCauley won $100,000 (£60,000) in a new instant scratch-card game called "10X the Money".

In 2007, her mother won more than $161,000 in the state lottery - a meagre sum compared to her big win in 1991 of $15.5m in the New York Lotto.

Kimberly said she thought her mother was "hogging all the luck" and that she was overwhelmed by her win.

Kimberly took her mother with her to the lottery office to collect her prize.

The pair appeared to be calm, a spokesman for the North Carolina Education Lottery told ABC News.

"Once you win the lottery twice, what's a third time?" Ryan Kennemur said.

Kimberly said she was going to use the money to pay off her student loans and to buy a car.

"I never thought I'd win anything. This is so overwhelming, but it's a good kind of overwhelming," she told lottery officials.

(1) THeir first win was £15 million - why did they keep on playing??? I guess greed knows no bounds.

(2) their family has $15 million. Yet still daughter has a student loan and a car loan. *smacks head against wall*

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-14304635

(1) THeir first win was £15 million - why did they keep on playing??? I guess greed knows no bounds.

(2) their family has $15 million. Yet still daughter has a student loan and a car loan. *smacks head against wall*

wow, three lottery tickets have one prizes since 1991.

Must be a slow news day.

Several US/Canadian lotteries are not like the UK one where you pick your own numbers, although more increasingly are, but instead the machines pick your numbers.

This has led to certain areas, and even certain shops in certain areas, being repeatedly lucky in the prizes that are won - even repeated jackpots.

As a result people will drive hours to certain shops to buy their lotto tickets and there is even an industry of people who you pay money to in order for them to go buy your tickets.

How many tickets have they bought since 1991?

Blowing $15.5m would be a challenge, but I never underestimate idiots....

In the US a lottery win is not all it is made out to be.

People are taxed, unlike in the UK, on their winnings. So they get a cheque for 15 million but the US Fed Govt takes about 50% of that straight away in taxes.

Then there are State taxes dependent upon which State you live in or buy the ticket in - each State has different rules and taxes. Some do not tax you at all but the majority do.

There was a 300 million jackpot a few months back that was won by 2 ticket holders in different States. One of the winners ended up with about 20 million more simply because the State they live in did not tax lotto winnings as much as the other winner's State does.

So, in short, you stand there will the big lotto cheque with the big number on it but you don't get that number. I think any lotto win over 600 bucks is taxable in the US.

Edit:

It is also illegal for US citizens to pay the lottery outside of the US and, I think, Canada.

Lots of Yanks now play the UK and Euro lottery on-line but, judging by posts on US lotto forums, many are worried about winning the Euro jackpot and the US Fed finding out. Some even fear, horror of horrors, that a 50 million Euro win might mean they have to come and live in Europe. Heaven forbid!

That's nothing, my premium bonds won absolutely nothing for 2 years, then won in 3 out of the last 4 months.

:)

When there was that massive Euromillions jackpot a few weeks ago, I was wondering what I could do to start a HPC (whilst feathering my own nest of course) should I have won.

Any ideas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14304635

Greed can be bottomless. That person who plays Harry Potter, I remember seeing an interview once and even though he has 30mil in the bank he still wants to win the lottery. :rolleyes:

When there was that massive Euromillions jackpot a few weeks ago, I was wondering what I could do to start a HPC (whilst feathering my own nest of course) should I have won.

Any ideas?

If I had won that jackpot I would use it to hack phones and emails of police, judiciary and politicians in Indonesia - still one of the world's most corrupt countries even after the down fall of Suharto.

Imagine the secrets you'd uncover!

I would be impressed if these winnings had come from purchasing only three tickets.

I would be impressed if it was from purchasing only one ticket.

Any ideas?

Spend it all on houses then sell them for what they should be. It might not be enough to be noticeable but if you let us know first where they are... :)

Any ideas?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd have started a large advertising campaign spreading the word that there is no property ladder, only a pyramid scheme, then established a housebuilding company that built nice new houses and then sold them at cost price.

After that, I'd have established a 'webuyanyhouse.com' kind of effort, offering low amounts for houses that people needed to sell, then sold them on for a minimal profit. Enforced price discovery, I guess.

I wouldn't be too worried about making any money on any of those, for obvious reasons, but it would certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons!

Odds of winning the lottery three times? About the same odds as a 20-30 year old ever owning a house outright in the UK.

HPC notwithstanding.

Does it make me a bad person that I wish these people to blow the lot and end up back where they started?!

I am not qualified to comment on your personal goodness,or otherwise.However I think that there is a sporting chance that your wish may come to pass.we are not told how much has been spent in gaining these further wins.My guess is that these are addicted gamblers putting their winnings back in the pot.

You can make someone happy, and you can make someone rich. But if they're stupid, they're stupid.

One of my "clients" stole £500 from his Mother and spent the lot on scratchcards.

Didn't win a penny. :)

the average odds of winning a quid on a scratchcard is about 4.5-1, you've more chance of winning the jackpot than spening 500 quid and winning nothing.

Guest eight

the average odds of winning a quid on a scratchcard is about 4.5-1, you've more chance of winning the jackpot than spening 500 quid and winning nothing.

Once got a ticket with six lucky dips on at work. Only one number was repeated across two lines, meaning we had 35 different numbers out of the 49. Yet still didn't get a single number in the draw. What are the odds on that?

Once got a ticket with six lucky dips on at work. Only one number was repeated across two lines, meaning we had 35 different numbers out of the 49. Yet still didn't get a single number in the draw. What are the odds on that?

Is this the maths question of the day? :)

I think it might be:

Chance of not getting a number = (num balls - 35) / num balls, so:

14/49 x 13/48 x 12/47 x 11/46 x 10/45 x 9/44 = ~1:4657

Pretty long odds then but not that long!

Edit: Apologies for taking your post literally - but I did wonder what the odds actually were....

Guest eight

Is this the maths question of the day? :)

Edit: Apologies for taking your post literally - but I did wonder what the odds actually were....

No need for an apology. Needless to say that was my (first and) last flirtation with Camelot's demonic offerings.

Guest UK Debt Slave

I'm lucky too

I got this in the mailbox the other day

The National LotteryPO Box 1010LiverpoolL70 1NLUnited Kingdom.Ref: XYL /26510460037/05Batch: 24/00319/IPD WINNING NOTIFICATION: We happily announce to you Lotto draw (#1626) of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY,online Sweepstakes International program held on Sat 16 July 2011.Your e-mail address attached to Ticket Number:56475600545188 with SerialNumber:5368/02 drew the lucky numbers: 01-02-11-30-33-45 (39 Bonus Ball),which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category i.e match 6.You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £5,000,000.00(Five Million Pounds Sterling) in cash credited to FileNumber: XYL/26510460037/05.

Followed by this about 20 minutes later

Royal Dutch Shell GroupShell headquartersCarel van Bylandtlaan 16, 2596 HR The Hague, The Netherlands Postal address:PO box 162, 2501 AN The Hague, The Netherlands WINNING NOTIFICATION, We happily announce to you the Lotto Winning of the Royal Dutch ShellLottery, online promo held in January 2011. Your email address matchwith Ticket Numbers: 7673899373ST with Serial Number: 779937/SN whichsubsequently won you in the Lottery promo. You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of $5,000,000.00(Five Million USD) in cash.

Nuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:P

(I can't believe people still try this stuff on.)

Greed can be bottomless. That person who plays Harry Potter, I remember seeing an interview once and even though he has 30mil in the bank he still wants to win the lottery. :rolleyes:

He can probably use magic to do it! Us muggles don't have that opportunity! ;):huh: