House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Laptops With Reasonable Resolution

I'm vaguely in the market for a new laptop, but, in recent times, laptop resolutions seem to have taken a backward step.

About three years ago, I bought a pretty good spec laptop with a 1440x900 screen for around £550. At that time, 1440x900 seemed pretty 'normal'. At present, I'm looking for a replacement, but with better video hardware, so I kind of expected to pay, say £700 or so -- given that I essentially want the modern equivalent of the laptop I currently have plus the better video card. However, I'm discovering that pretty much every laptop around that price has a resolution of 1366x768, which is too low. I find that 1440x900 is pretty much a minimum really, and 1366x768 seems a bit 'dark ages' to me.

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop with, let's say, an i5 processor, 4 to 6 GB of RAM, and a 1GB video card, and with a resolution of no less than 900 vertically?

Annoyingly, I had my eye on a Sony laptop that fitted the bill very well (it had a resolution of 1900x1050 ish) for around £700, but the replacement model that came out about a month ago no longer has the high res screen option!

Anyway -- any thoughts appreciated.

I'm vaguely in the market for a new laptop, but, in recent times, laptop resolutions seem to have taken a backward step.

About three years ago, I bought a pretty good spec laptop with a 1440x900 screen for around £550. At that time, 1440x900 seemed pretty 'normal'. At present, I'm looking for a replacement, but with better video hardware, so I kind of expected to pay, say £700 or so -- given that I essentially want the modern equivalent of the laptop I currently have plus the better video card. However, I'm discovering that pretty much every laptop around that price has a resolution of 1366x768, which is too low. I find that 1440x900 is pretty much a minimum really, and 1366x768 seems a bit 'dark ages' to me.

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop with, let's say, an i5 processor, 4 to 6 GB of RAM, and a 1GB video card, and with a resolution of no less than 900 vertically?

Annoyingly, I had my eye on a Sony laptop that fitted the bill very well (it had a resolution of 1900x1050 ish) for around £700, but the replacement model that came out about a month ago no longer has the high res screen option!

Anyway -- any thoughts appreciated.

Insight have a good website, you can select the screen resolution you want.

http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/searchresults/computing/laptops?K=&M=&2713v=&4220v=&4515v=&4224v=&203112v=&4190v=1920+x+1200&4203v=&200268v=&400003v=&400004v=&4206v=&203110v=

I bought an HP laptop not long ago and although it works OK I hate the display. It's like looking in a mirror all the time, lots of glare.

If you are buying off the net try find one in a local shop you can test.

Thanks!

I bought an HP laptop not long ago and although it works OK I hate the display. It's like looking in a mirror all the time, lots of glare.

If you are buying off the net try find one in a local shop you can test.

That was another thing in Sony's favour -- a Sony Centre in town!

All the monitors and screens went from 16:10 to 16:9 aspect ratios to make them the same as TVs. Annoying really because 1440x900 was a good size. 1920x1080 is a big jump but will make everything quite small on screen unless you go for at least a 17".

All the monitors and screens went from 16:10 to 16:9 aspect ratios to make them the same as TVs. Annoying really because 1440x900 was a good size. 1920x1080 is a big jump but will make everything quite small on screen unless you go for at least a 17".

Damned annoying. Laptops seem to have become devices for watching DVDs on, presumably hence the 1366x768 nonsense. What proportion of laptop users really want to watch movies on them I wonder?

I wish I could just get the updated version of my current laptop (but with better graphics hardware). Technology shouldn't be going backwards! ;)

If I spend, say, £1,000, I can pretty much get what I want, but that's quite a price hike from the price I spent on a laptop three years ago, and really the 16:9 ratio is still too wide really for all the portrait-orientated things I want to do on a laptop.

Bitch, gripe, whinge, moan.

Damned annoying. Laptops seem to have become devices for watching DVDs on, presumably hence the 1366x768 nonsense. What proportion of laptop users really want to watch movies on them I wonder?

I wish I could just get the updated version of my current laptop (but with better graphics hardware). Technology shouldn't be going backwards! ;)

If I spend, say, £1,000, I can pretty much get what I want, but that's quite a price hike from the price I spent on a laptop three years ago, and really the 16:9 ratio is still too wide really for all the portrait-orientated things I want to do on a laptop.

Bitch, gripe, whinge, moan.

On ebuyer there were several Samsung and Lenovo 900 vertical pixel laptops around the £700 mark when I looked this morning. Not able to sort by dimension size (I sorted by i5 cpu) on there and I have no idea whether the graphics card specs matched up (they were typically 6-8GB ram though).

On ebuyer there were several Samsung and Lenovo 900 vertical pixel laptops around the £700 mark when I looked this morning. Not able to sort by dimension size (I sorted by i5 cpu) on there and I have no idea whether the graphics card specs matched up (they were typically 6-8GB ram though).

Ah, yes... perhaps I should've mentioned that I'd prefer not to have to go to a 17" screen... :P

I'd quite like to be able to tuck the laptop under my arm without feeling as if I'm going surfing! :D

I just saw the dimensions of a 17" laptop on eBuyer, and the one I saw was about 420mm wide! My current laptop's about 350mm wide -- that's nearly 3" narrower! (Sorry for switching between metric and imperial so erratically...)

Does anyone around here use a 17"-screen laptop? Do they feel like aircraft carriers?

(Thanks for the link to eBuyer, by the way!)

Laptops seem to have become devices for watching DVDs on

Yes, I forgot to say that watching DVDs was apparently the reason for the change.

Does anyone around here use a 17"-screen laptop? Do they feel like aircraft carriers?

I used to have one at work as a replacement for a 15". I remember deciding to leave the 17" at the office during the week because of the extra weight. I had a Dell backpack for it so the weight was on my back. You do get used to the weight after a while but it is a bit ridiculous to be honest if you are travelling with it. For a "desktop replacement" at home stored in a cupboard it would be perfectly fine.

Both the 15" and 17" were 1920x1200 resolution and the 15" was a strain on the eyes after several hours (I am in my mid 30s). It was certainly useable but ideally for short periods only. Having said that, these 15" and later on 17" laptops were standard issue for everyone at my work, consultants included.

Not at massive fan of Dell's but most have the option for a screen upgrade. £661 with discount codes and upgraded screen, seems a bit of bargain.

Personally 15" is too big, I would never go bigger than the 13" Macbook Air now, currently using the 11" and it's the perfect size for dragging around.

Thanks to HUKD.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-xps-15-i7-2630qm-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd-blu-ray-2gb-gt-540m-602-11/986658#comments

Dell 15" XPS Laptop

Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics Card

500GB (7,200rpm) Hard Drive

8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive

Wireless-N 1000

6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion battery

15.6"FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) 1080p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

8x DVD+/-RW, & Blu-ray Disc combo drive

Not at massive fan of Dell's but most have the option for a screen upgrade. £661 with discount codes and upgraded screen, seems a bit of bargain.

Personally 15" is too big, I would never go bigger than the 13" Macbook Air now, currently using the 11" and it's the perfect size for dragging around.

Thanks to HUKD.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-xps-15-i7-2630qm-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd-blu-ray-2gb-gt-540m-602-11/986658#comments

Dell 15" XPS Laptop

Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics Card

500GB (7,200rpm) Hard Drive

Wireless-N 1000

6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion battery

15.6"FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) 1080p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

8x DVD+/-RW, & Blu-ray Disc combo drive

Thanks for the info, but the codes on that page don't seem to work when applied to a basket on Dell's website on Saturday. The site 'adds' them to the basket, but says that further info in required (but how to provide that information isn't clear) -- and no money comes off the total.

As I was struggling with this, I received one of those invitations to chat online, so I asked why my codes weren't working. The person I chatted with said they'd ask for authorisation, and get back to me today...

I've just received an email 'offer' from them without any mention of the voucher codes and for a different specification of laptop than I specified... :blink:

I've replied to say that I only contacted them in the first place regarding the voucher codes -- so not to mention them at all in the offer AND to quote for a different specification of laptop (including a 1366x768 that you all know isn't what I want! ;)) isn't going to win them any friends -- and that I'm pretty disappointed to have waited for two days for such a useless response.

My expectations weren't high, so I guess... well, whatever... <_<

Maybe they'll reply again; maybe they won't.

Not that anyone's interested I'm sure, but just for some kind of closure...

After quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Dell, I've ordered a laptop with the following spec:

Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

15.6" FHD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

4GB (2X2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

500GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card

Also included was a 16GB USB stick.

Price: £682 (inc. VAT and delivery).

4GB of RAM feels like it might be a bit low (my three-year-old laptop has 4GB), but, if it turns out to need more, it's much cheaper to go to Crucial (2 x 4GB is less than £50, and I can stick the 2 x 2GB on eBay, maybe get around £15). The 16GB USB stick was just to get the price up to a level where they'd offer me a discount.

Essentially, this spec of machine already appeared to have a free hard disk upgrade (to the 500GB it has), and about 180-odd quid off when spec'd up on the Dell website (which took it from a 'full price' of about £980 -- which sounds way overblown to me). I then got a further 15% off.

This makes it appear that I got an exceptionally good deal. Realistically, though, I would guess it's probably a £800 - £850 laptop for £682 -- so I probably got no more than around 17 - 18% off plus a free USB stick (rather than the more like 30% that their initially inflated price would make it appear).

Anyway, there we are -- I'm now nearly 700 quid poorer.