House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

English Language Tests For Migrants Are Racist

BBC website: Spouse English tests for migrants racist, court told.

Manjit Gill QC... told the High Court that the rules breached... rights to a family life and constituted racial discrimination because they prevented a British citizen living with her husband purely because he was a foreign citizen who did not speak English.

'The rule is designed, putting it crudely, to keep out persons who tend to marry within their communities, who tend to have arranged marriages, who tend to be from the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East in particular,' said Mr Gill.

This feels like a typical 'rights without responsibilities' situation. People often seem to want the right to this and that -- they feel entitled -- but they appear not to want to take any responsibility in return -- in this case, the right to live in the UK should perhaps require the willingness to fit in here, at least a little.

Whoever Mr. Gill thinks the rule is designed to exclude, presumably it wouldn't exclude them if they spent a little time learning the basics of English. There seems a relatively easy path between where the prospective immigrant is and where they want to be. The door isn't closed.

Edit: typo.

Whoever Mr. Gill thinks the rule is designed to do exclude, presumably it wouldn't exclude them if they spent a little time learning the basics of English. There seems a relatively easy path between where the prospective immigrant is are and where they want to be. The door isn't closed.

Im sure it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to learn the basics of English (not to mention future benefits if he moves here) than going to the trouble of protesting in High Court.

I don't see how this is aimed at any particular group. It applies to all people from anywhere.

You have to live in the UK for two years anyway before you take the test, and after two years it shouldn't be too difficult to speak reasonable English.

The exam itself is just like a driving theory test. Buy the book and learn the answers.. not hard.

There are also ways around doing the test at all.

If you don't take the test to become a citizen, you can still extend your spouse visa indefinitely.

The only thing you can't do is claim benefits or actually be "British"

Is it available in Welsh? :huh:

Im sure it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to learn the basics of English (not to mention future benefits if he moves here) than going to the trouble of protesting in High Court.

Cheaper to who? I was thinking they'd be getting legal aid for this, or i'm sure some charity would love to get involved in this blatant disregard for his 'ooomman rights.

Give us more sarcastic judges please. First thing i'd have said if that case was summed up to me is 'and is he incapable of learning english'?

Just as with englishmen abroad, i think the world would get on a lot better if anyone living in a country had to be able to speak a reasonable version of the native tongue in that country.

They should stop printing benefit claim forms in any language that is not english.

(Ok I'll let them have welsh but only for a year or two)

Having dealt with immigrant doctors for 20-odd years, I know they sit an English test, which they have to pass to be allowed GMC registration in this country, before they can practise. I'm not sure how effective this is, as anyone who has been at the receiving end of treatment from some immigrant docs will know.

Does this ruling now mean that immigrant docs won't have to sit PLAB?:blink:

I'm not at all surprised that some leftie solicitor has tried this stunt. I'm only slightly surprised at the extent of the BBC's bias in reporting it, quoting Gill at length, but not reporting any of the counterarguments put to the court. The acid test will be what the judge decides.

This country has finite land, resources and infrastructure. At some point in the not too distant future the strain on infrastructure through having a high population will grind this country to a halt. M25 and other traffic congestion being one such example.

So its not racist to point this out, what would be better though is for those people who like our values, to start enacting them in their own country then they can remain in their country surrounded by family and friends and enjoy the the UK values in their own country whilst not forgetting their own traditions and values and thus their own history.

Whats racist about that?

Maybe maybe, the problem is there is not just one cause of that, uber mal investment is a major cause of that. While blaming it on others. Its much like inflation is blamed on certain parties when we know who is at fault.

Just as with englishmen abroad, i think the world would get on a lot better if anyone living in a country had to be able to speak a reasonable version of the native tongue in that country of good old England.

Fixed for accuracy.

They should stop printing benefit claim forms in any language that is not english.

(Ok I'll let them have welsh but only for a year or two)

And if someone needs and interpreter they pay themselves. Those two measures combined would stop a lot of the nonsense.

And if someone needs and interpreter they pay themselves. Those two measures combined would stop a lot of the nonsense.

124 million (turnover of remaining 415 translation companies). Total: € 636 million total value of translation industry in the UK

From one source

http://www.wakabayashi.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/myGengo_State_of_Translation_Industry_2009.pdf

page 7

What are the top sectors for language services?1

Not sure what the issue is here, they want to live together so why don't they move to India?

But of course that is not the issue is it.... what they want is the benefits (in the true sense of the word) of living in the UK. To get that benefit IMO they need to earn it, even if it's something as simple as learning the basics of a language.

I heard on this morning's (Thursday's) Today programme on Radio 4 that this case is being decided in court today. Perhaps if someone sees the outcome published anywhere, they could post a link here.

These tests are not racist, they're linguist.

The ability to speak a given language has nothing to do with the colour of your skin.

Starting from scratch, most people would find it easier to learn Indonesian than French.

These tests are not racist, they're linguist.

The ability to speak a given language has nothing to do with the colour of your skin.

Starting from scratch, most people would find it easier to learn Indonesian than French.

Well said. Sadly however most people (including lawyers) would fail to grasp this fact. Nowadays 'racism' simply means any kind of discrimination based on language, nationality, religion, or culture, even if that discrimination is justifiable, eg, requiring taxi drivers in England to speak English. To some lawyers, 'racism' is a pavlovian word, like 'accident' or 'dismissal' which starts them salivating before they've even heard the facts of the case.

I heard on this morning's (Thursday's) Today programme on Radio 4 that this case is being decided in court today. Perhaps if someone sees the outcome published anywhere, they could post a link here.

Having just Googled 'Rashida Chapti' and pages from the last 24 hours, there is nothing on any decision. Most of the hits are Indian sites reprinting the BBC's and the Wail's stories from yesterday. I presume this means that no decision has been made.

I do wonder if the BBC went so heavy on the Jeffries story in part to bury the bad news of an anticipated verdict upbholding the language restriction, though.

It really is becoming a joke. Some whole parts of the country have absolutely no sign left that the inhabited land is the UK.

It's gone too far to ever reverse now.

whats your problem? I hear that the Madrasas are very good in boltistan nowadays :)

whats your problem? I hear that the Madrasas are very good in boltistan nowadays :)

I hear the pie-barmcakes are quite good too..

This feels like a typical 'rights without responsibilities' situation. People often seem to want the right to this and that -- they feel entitled -- but they appear not to want to take any responsibility in return -- in this case, the right to live in the UK should perhaps require the willingness to fit in here, at least a little.

Whoever Mr. Gill thinks the rule is designed to exclude, presumably it wouldn't exclude them if they spent a little time learning the basics of English. There seems a relatively easy path between where the prospective immigrant is and where they want to be. The door isn't closed.

Edit: typo.

i can remember 10 years ago whilst taking my hgv theory test a man stating his wife could not read the written english language..the twit booking people in said no probs the test can be in urdu (her speak ) and i thought how the feck has she read the theory book and how does she know what a freckin slow sign says to her ? :angry:

This is starting to make me really quite angry now.

I watched this tonight

http://www.radiotime...ls_fullpage.jsp

Scenes from a Teenage Killing

Friday 29 July

11:05pm - 1:05am

BBC2

Documentary by Bafta-winning director Morgan Matthews, exploring the impact on families and communities of murder among teenagers in Britain and naming every victim who died as a result of violence in the UK in 2009. Filmed over an 18-month period, it provides numerous perspectives on such crimes, with testimony from bereaved relatives and friends, plus passers-by and police officers. Featuring in-depth accounts of some of the incidents, including how the case of Shevon Wilson divided a Bristol community, and the nurse who fought to save a dying teenager outside her home. It also questions society's attitude toward young people, and investigates the meaning behind media references to `gang-related' offences and `gang violence'. Previously shown on BBC3.

iPlayer has this as "coming soon" at http://www.bbc.co.uk...eenage_Killing/

Really very sad.

Is it because ethnic minorities are somehow predisposed to going around stabbing people? No, I don't think so.

Are the majority of street muggings, which are - or were, when the data was published - committed by black people 1. Because they're black or 2. Because they belong to an underclass of poor people, many of whom happen to be black?

I'd assert the following all come into play:

- Too many people living too close together

- Lack of education strongly linked to poor parenting and also related to language skills

- Too great a gap between rich and poor

- Lack of aspiration for young people generally in the UK

- Benefits culture and the complete social failure that New Labour helped to engender by ignoring the underclasses, indeed fostering them

The film A Clockwork Orange springs to mind - the dangers of liberalism. And another film also springs to mind, called Awaydays: in that, the violence was white on white and the same issues above repeat.

The race card is getting tired now.

This is starting to make me really quite angry now.

I watched this tonight

http://www.radiotime...ls_fullpage.jsp

iPlayer has this as "coming soon" at http://www.bbc.co.uk...eenage_Killing/

Really very sad.

Is it because ethnic minorities are somehow predisposed to going around stabbing people? No, I don't think so.

Are the majority of street muggings, which are - or were, when the data was published - committed by black people 1. Because they're black or 2. Because they belong to an underclass of poor people, many of whom happen to be black?

I'd assert the following all come into play:

- Too many people living too close together

- Lack of education strongly linked to poor parenting and also related to language skills

- Too great a gap between rich and poor

- Lack of aspiration for young people generally in the UK

- Benefits culture and the complete social failure that New Labour helped to engender by ignoring the underclasses, indeed fostering them

The film A Clockwork Orange springs to mind - the dangers of liberalism. And another film also springs to mind, called Awaydays: in that, the violence was white on white and the same issues above repeat.

The race card is getting tired now.

trouble is if you post a response others think you are a racist... when can you comment without being branded ?