House Price Crash Forum
exiges

93% Of Incapacity Claimants Can Work

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14280849

Only 7% of people claiming sickness benefits were unable to do any sort of work, new figures have shown.

New claimants of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) must undergo tests to see if they are capable of some sort of employment.

Of 1.3 million tests between October 2008 and November 2010, some 88,700 were considered unfit for any work.

The TUC said the tests were a money-saving exercise, adding that disabled people were not "trying it on".

The Department for Work and Pensions figures come on the day a report warned tests caused anxiety among claimants.

I came across a woman a while back who expected to get support for mortgage interest and had applied for the mortgage rescue scheme. Her other half had done a bunk.

She turned up with her mental health worker, claiming anxiety, depression and ... Munchausen syndrome:

M√ľnchausen syndrome is a term for psychiatric disorders known as factitious disorders wherein those affected feign disease, illness, or psychological trauma in order to draw attention or sympathy to themselves. It is also sometimes known as hospital addiction syndrome or hospital hopper syndrome. Nurses sometimes refer to them as frequent flyers, because they return to the hospital just like frequent flyers return to the airport.

http://en.wikipedia....hausen_syndrome

I'm not allowed to tell people to ****** off. Sums up half this country.

Edited by okaycuckoo

Somebody who is blind, with no legs and only one arm can work, but it doesn't mean they could find anyone to work for, my employer would not employ a blind person with no legs and only one arm to drive an articulated lorry.

And still the government won't tell me why they don't investigate potential mortgage fraud before issuing SMI. I've tried asking the work and pension select committee, but they're not interested, much easier to make everyone struggling with a disability feel like they're swinging the lead.

Somebody who is blind, with no legs and only one arm can work, but it doesn't mean they could find anyone to work for, my employer would not employ a blind person with no legs and only one arm to drive an articulated lorry.

My impression is most of this is to do with mental ailments, not physical.

My impression is most of this is to do with mental ailments, not physical.

It can't be good for the mental health to be moping around at home all day. Perhaps they are right to open up this can of worms.

I can't now remember the figures involved, but when this issue first surfaced (i.e. when the Tories stated in their manifesto that they'd introduce new tests for incapacity benefit) the Labour politician attacking them quoted a figure for the total number of people currently receiving this benefit which I subsequently worked out to be around 15% of the working age population. I subsequently emailed Any Answers? to ask if Labour were seriously trying to suggest that nearly one in five of the entire working age population were too ill to work?! If so, this country has an horrific public health problem. If not, this country has an horrific benefit fraud problem. Whichever it is, it needs sorting. Needless to say, they didn't use my email on the programme, and I'm astonished that no-one - not even the right-of-centre MSM - has put the question to Labour in those terms, or at the very least compared the proportion of the working age population 'on the sick' in the UK to those in other comparable developed countries.

So how many jobs can these 93% actually do?

Its about putting those "who can work" on the cheaper Job seekers allowance...not exactly what jobs these people can do...I can imagine employers steering clear of anyone who has spent years/decades out of work, after claiming to have a mental illness...anyone know what these "tests" involve? Its a difficult subject, and it has unfortunately caused suicides..

Given the tests seem to be:

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Now we've established you can talk you are capable of working in a call centre"

"But......"

and Atos get paid by "result" it isn't surprising so many people are deemed fit to work.

Given the tests seem to be:

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Now we've established you can talk you are capable of working in a call centre"

"But......"

and Atos get paid by "result" it isn't surprising so many people are deemed fit to work.

clearly Its a sad state of affairs when even the incapacity test is loaded to favour immigrants

Edited by Mary Cassatt

Where exactly are these jobs that the 93% should be applying to do?

Hmm according to my economics textbook the price of labour will fall as the supply increases and the lump of labour fallacy means new jobs will be available for all leading to a brave new world of progress.

In reality their already miserable lives will get just a little worse.

More to the point who will employ them and if they do how long for?.....it is just a way of trying to reduce the deficit....it was quite easy to claim at one time, now it has all got to be unwound...sometimes the easy way out ends up being not so easy after all. ;)

I was tackling one issue at a time. :P

It will be interesting if all of these people end up back on the unemployment figures.

Corrected for you.

More to the point who will employ them and if they do how long for?.....it is just a way of trying to reduce the deficit....it was quite easy to claim at one time, now it has all got to be unwound...sometimes the easy way out ends up being not so easy after all. ;)

By my shyte maths, they would be saving about £30 per week per claimant...we'll also see unemployment move to around 4 million...

Works the other way around too.

I know someone in his thirties, who suddenly found it very hard to breath. So he demanded a CT scan.

It showed literally thousands of tumours in his lungs and lymph nodes. He had Contracted a rare disease which only affects about ten people in every 100,000.

Yet they have told him he still has to continue working. When clearly there is no way he can do his job properly.

He just sits around in his dressing gown all day, hopping in and out of bed. Depressed. In limbo. No-one to turn to.

This guy is genuinely F"rking ILL.

So what severe ailments do all these incapacity claimants have which is worse than that FFS?

Something has gone drastically wrong somewhere.

Edited by Milton

Probably loads.

Probably as many as me.

There is a bloke who bleats on another forum about not being able to work. But he is well enough to post online for 6 + hours a day.

Where exactly are these jobs that the 93% should be applying to do?

That is not a relevant factor for determining whether or not people are capable of going to work.

In any case, during the years of labour government, more jobs were created than there were unemployed people in 1997, but these people didn't take them; they went to immigrants instead.

No there will never be more than 3 million unemployed as this is a regularly reported figure, everybody understands it and if it gets too high people get upset and will not vote Tory; unemployed = people with no job. "The total number of unemployed people fell by 26,000 over the quarter to reach 2.45 million." So only 2.45 million are without a job.

However "The number of economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64 increased by 32,000 over the quarter to reach 9.33 million." The MSM don't report thsi figure so it doesn't matter.

So Dave can save money and not increase the number of unemployed; result.

They will most likely saddle them off on to "training schemes" thus not added to the figures...

According to this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13309755 there are 2.6m people of working age in the UK currently claiming incapacity benefit.

Working age excludes pensioners (ie. old people who may have a funny hip or else).

If you believe that there really is 2,600,000 disabled (and I repeat excluding children and elderlies) in the UK, then this is the greatest humanitaterian disater in mankind history.

Please reflect on this seriously, the UK is a joke and nothing else...

Anyone who is not dead is capable of working to some degree.

So I think it's safe to conclude that the only people collecting Incapacity benefits in future will be dead people.

This makes the test really simple- a quick scan to establish the presence of body heat and you're done.

Plenty of computer jobs around and I believe unlike the *nix there is disability settings to help the less abled bodied work with computers as well.

If they can hang out on facebook they can do some work. :D

But who will employ them .

According to this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13309755 there are 2.6m people of working age in the UK currently claiming incapacity benefit.

Working age excludes pensioners (ie. old people who may have a funny hip or else).

If you believe that there really is 2,600,000 disabled (and I repeat excluding children and elderlies) in the UK, then this is the greatest humanitaterian disater in mankind history.

Please reflect on this seriously, the UK is a joke and nothing else...

There are also about 28 - 30 M people working in the U.K.

Out of those people many ( would not like to guess the figure ) work over 40 hours a week . Some get paid overtime , lot's don't .

There is only "X" amount of work to go around , while those working do more than 40 housrs others have to go without.

How many other countries allow people to opt out of the EU working time directive ?

We can not have it both ways we either cut the hours some people work or have high unemployment whether this is covered under just unemployed or being signed off as sick.