House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Can You Hide A Bankrupcty?

Have been told someone saw something in the paper months ago about a local LL having to sell off hundreds of properties.

Can't find any story with his name on (don't want to confuse things by posting the name here as that's all I'll find then!)

He's not listed on bankrupcty listings not is his company "ceased"

So are they just rumours or can you hide the info?

Do libraries still keep back copies of local papers?

maybe he cut a deal that avoided going bankrupt but involved him selling off all his houses?

What I've been told is he's sold off 100 and has to sell off some more. He is selling off some business property too..

What I've been told is he's sold off 100 and has to sell off some more. He is selling off some business property too..

I wonder if the current govt is pulling strings to make bankrupcy more difficult - I thought it was a no brainer a few years ago in these cases, but perhaps not....

If you are made bankrupt the credit reference agencies will learn soon enough.

Some bankruptcies only last a year and the individual ceases to be listed as bankrupt.

If he has been declared Bankrupt then it will be in the London Gazette , not sure exactley what that is but they do talk about it on MSE , in the Bankrupcty threads.

Think you can find out on line but it does cost. If his company and not him had been declared BR then it will be under the company name . Apparently it stays on file for ever.

If he has been declared Bankrupt then it will be in the London Gazette , not sure exactley what that is but they do talk about it on MSE , in the Bankrupcty threads.

Think you can find out on line but it does cost. If his company and not him had been declared BR then it will be under the company name . Apparently it stays on file for ever.

For individuals, you can also find details here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/

. If his company and not him had been declared BR then it will be under the company name . Apparently it stays on file for ever.

Thats because the company is wound up, it cant trade ever again.

For individuals, you can also find details here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/

As far as I know three months after discharge from bankruptcy the details are no longer publicly available:

From the Bankruptcy Register:

The Register contains:

details of bankruptcies that are either current or have ended in the last 3 months

current individual voluntary arrangements and fast track voluntary arrangements

Debt Relief Orders

current bankruptcy restrictions orders and undertakings.

As far as I know three months after discharge from bankruptcy the details are no longer publicly available:

From the Bankruptcy Register:

The Register contains:

details of bankruptcies that are either current or have ended in the last 3 months

current individual voluntary arrangements and fast track voluntary arrangements

Debt Relief Orders

current bankruptcy restrictions orders and undertakings.

In which case, you could search the London Gazette - it's free.

London Gazette

Once in there - which all bankruptcies are, I believe - it's there for ever. I don't think it covers IVOs and DROs etc.

My understanding of it is that as long as you haven't wilfully caused your own demise through something like gambling, and as long as you haven't tried to cheat the system by - for instance - selling your car to a mate for £1 so the insolvency service can't get their hands on it (so as to sell it to raise money for creditors) then it's discharged after a year. (Do the latter, and the discharge might be 12 years away)

Discharge simply means the as-was debtor isn't technically bankrupt any more.

However it remains on their credit history for something like 6 years and while during the boom anyone could have got credit, now, judging by some MSE threads, a missed payment here and there is enough to get declined for a current account never mind a loan.

After 6 years it disappears from their credit history - so the effective period of "damage" is 6 years.

Searched the London thing too - nowt there. So do I assume he's not been made bankrupt yet?

It's a HUGE number of properties so could it be they're trying to manage the situation (ie: sell some off to pay down debt?)

Coming back to the thread title, I wonder...

If you changed your name by deed poll and were very careful not to do anything which links your current new name with your old one, if you might actually be able to hide a bankruptcy from new creditors - you might effectively "start afresh"

Wouldn't hide the bankruptcy as registered under the old name though.