House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankief

Chipped Windscreen Repair

So I got a stone hit me this morning, causing a small chip on the passenger side. My first thought is to leave it and see if it develops into a crack.

I know there is heavy advertising of 'free' repairs by certain companies, except it ain't free - the insurance company pays and hence we all get it put on our premiums along with all the other shit. I don't want to give trade to that lot - besides i'm third party only. :)

I don't believe the advert about the windscreen shattering cos of the cold weather either, I seem to remember driving cars about in my youth with chipped windows with no horrible consequences, surely the construction of them is a lot safer anyway nowadays. Maybe a pot hole would test it !

I've got the MOT coming up next month, I think the window will be OK if it's less than a certain size, and anyway I don't want to spend money as the car is probably scrap yard bound if it fails on a lot of stuff.

Would a clear glue in the indent provide a temporary solution?

So I got a stone hit me this morning, causing a small chip on the passenger side. My first thought is to leave it and see if it develops into a crack.

I know there is heavy advertising of 'free' repairs by certain companies, except it ain't free - the insurance company pays and hence we all get it put on our premiums along with all the other shit. I don't want to give trade to that lot - besides i'm third party only. :)

I don't believe the advert about the windscreen shattering cos of the cold weather either, I seem to remember driving cars about in my youth with chipped windows with no horrible consequences, surely the construction of them is a lot safer anyway nowadays. Maybe a pot hole would test it !

I've got the MOT coming up next month, I think the window will be OK if it's less than a certain size, and anyway I don't want to spend money as the car is probably scrap yard bound if it fails on a lot of stuff.

Windscreen chip repair kits sold on ebay may be your answer.

I had one of those, and I bought a resin repair thing. Not perfect, but if you didn't know it was there it is hard to see and more importantly it helps prevent a crack developing in cold weather. Worth the sub-tenner outlay and dead easy to do.

Chips in my experience are not a problem, I got one on my Freelander 3 years ago, sold the car last month and the chip was still there.

On the other hand I had a crack on another car window and that over time got bigger and bigger. I'd say just keep an eye on it and if it's not getting bigger then ignore it. With regard to the MOT it used to be that the crack would need to be wider than a 10p and in clear view of the driver (so something in the bottom corner wouldn't count), no idea if that is still the case.