House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
timebandit

Main Stream Media Economics Editors

Watching the ITV news for the first time in years, surprised to see Daisy McAndrew the economics editor.

If you are a mainstream media journalist or even Chancellor of the Exchequer, do you at least need a John Major banking qualification to get a grip of the economics events or are they just a mouthpiece?

No need to tarnish my question with the name of Ed Balls :D

Watching the ITV news for the first time in years, surprised to see Daisy McAndrew the economics editor.

If you are a mainstream media journalist or even Chancellor of the Exchequer, do you at least need a John Major banking qualification to get a grip of the economics events or are they just a mouthpiece?

Argh!

It's kind of sad, really, to be a first hard witness to national decline.

Leave John Major alone, his record as PM with hindsight was only slightlyshort of brilliant having cleared up the mess of the thatcher boom. If Balls and Brown are anything to go by then qualifications are a recipe for nuking the economy.

In fact because of John Major's record, one O'level and a failed job application as a bus conductor should be an essential part of every budding senior economist's cv. Meanwhile we need to get any economic ''expert'' like Balls in a straight jacket before they wreek devastation.

Edited by crashmonitor

It surprises me how few supposed economics experts actually have any training in the subject; Paul Mason for example studied music.

Anatole Kaletsky surprisingly does have a degree in the subject; which offers me the chance of resurecting this little gem:

Sir, Anatole Kaletsky states that the idea that inflation should be the sole target for an independent Bank of England is the next item of “old conventional wisdom” that may have to be rejected by whoever is prime minister after the election (“If interest rates rise, our prospects plummet”, Opinion, Mar 11). He is wrong in his assertion that it is the sole objective now. The actual mandate of the Bank is to maintain price stability, and subject to that, to support the economic policy of the Government, including its objectives for growth and employment.

While some economists would wish for a clearer statement of the output objective it is clear in practice that the Bank allows inflation to rise above target as a result of shocks because to rein these shocks in would make output too volatile.

It may be that Mr Kaletsky wants a movement to a higher inflation target or perhaps no inflation target at all, only an output target. The implications of such a move would be a serious test of his inefficient , non-rational financial markets hypothesis.

Professor David. A. Peel

Department of Economics, University of Lancaster

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article7060050.ece

Edited by Goat

Leave John Major alone, his record as PM with hindsight was only slightlyshort of brilliant having cleared up the mess of the thatcher boom. If Balls and Brown are anything to go by then qualifications are a recipe for nuking the economy.

In fact because of John Major's record, one O'level and a failed job application as a bus conductor should be an essential part of every budding senior economist's cv. Meanwhile we need to get any economic ''expert'' like Balls in a straight jacket before they wreek devastation.

+1

Oh no, I'm backing John Major in this one, just not his taste for currie. :D

It was more of a dig at what we are getting from the news team and who they employ to question the elected.

Edited by timebandit

I have a degree in economics.

It was totally useless. I had to unlearn it all and start again to gain anything useful from the like of Hayek, whom I can assure you I never once heard of at University.