House Price Crash Forum

Home Ownership Is A Disappearing Dream For Millions Of Young Adults

HOLA441

Lets face it the UK is going to collapse into a hell hole. Even if you have some form of wealth during that period, it is still going to be a miserable existence watching your friends and family going down the pan, watching infrastructure and the economy detoriate, facing the daily-increasing crime rates and watching society decay in front of your eyes.

Time for a bit of Chaz and Dave:

Well I had an old uncle was mean as can be

He said "When I die you'll get nothin' from me"

Mustn't grumble, mustn't grumble

All he left me was an old over coat

But I found in the pocket a fifty pound note

Now I is a do it yourselfer you see

It don't half make life easy, take it from me

The wife wants the grass cut or a new kitchen shelf

Just do as I do and say do it yourself

Mustn't grumble, don't worry 'bout nothin' my friend

Mustn't grumble, 'cause all's well that's well in the end

Mustn't grumble, grumble and you're on your own

Laugh and the world laughs with you

Cry and you'll cry all alone

I came home from work, there was firemen about

They said "we couldn't save it, youe house has burnt down"

I said "that's allright, don't worry mate,

'Cause the bathroom needed painting, it weren't half in a state"

Now I collect the football pools money, you see

And one week we won it, me work mates and me

Came home from work early feelin' pleased with meself

The I saw the coupon still stuck on the shelf

Mustn't grumble, don't worry 'bout nothin' my friend

Mustn't grumble, 'cause all's well that's well in the end

Mustn't grumble, grumble and you're on your own

Cry and you'll cry all alone

HOLA442

Don't buy a new car....let someone else do that for you. ;)

Having said that, and agreeing with it, I put the question to some wealthy friends of mine "How could you justify buying a 50k Jag when a 10k Fiesta will get you to the same place?".

His answer was "Well by that stage, when you've got your house, your kids, their education fees and your retirement all covered - what else would you do with the money?".

What would you do with it?

HOLA443

I tend to agree with you, in principle, as I am a spendthrift, but.

No car

No booze

No leisure activity (Art course for you, Heavy metal concerts and sports for me)

No fancy food (yes I can cook cheaply but sometimes I like a treat, that's what I work for)

What's left?

There needs to be balance, and at this point in time, what is causing the most pain is household costs.

Edited to say - WTF, they have closed AND deleted the comments????

...A car is not always a necessity it depends where you live or if you require it to get to work in the most economical way...other than that buy a used car that's good with fuel, insurance and tax but comfortable at the same time...fit a good sound system.

Booze, brew your own...cider or elderberry wine...cheap ingredients for the price of a demijohn.

Lots of leisure activities that are free or cost very little.....such as a walk in the countryside or fishing on a lake...live music for the price of a pint in many places.

Fancy foods are available for those who can cook and more to the point enjoy cooking them....for some the pleasure gained in the cooking is as much as the eating.

There is still so much left to do and enjoy. ;)

HOLA444

Having said that, and agreeing with it, I put the question to some wealthy friends of mine "How could you justify buying a 50k Jag when a 10k Fiesta will get you to the same place?".

His answer was "Well by that stage, when you've got your house, your kids, their education fees and your retirement all covered - what else would you do with the money?".

Honestly....I would travel. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Agreed: if you have more money than you know what to do with buy the Jag, otherwise the Fiesta will do just fine.

HOLA448

Agreed: if you have more money than you know what to do with buy the Jag, otherwise the Fiesta will do just fine.

the wealth affect of overpriced houses is hard to quantify, but I am sure it is powerful - even if the house IS paid off

HOLA449
HOLA4410

+1

A twenty year old who makes this mistake might blow their retirement with the first screech of the tyres, but they wont realise it for thirty years.

these days, the insurance will cost more than the finance

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

OK I have a smallish SL (7k or so) no help from parents - who have worked hard all their lives and have nothing to show for it.

I drink a little every month probably spend £40 a month on alcohol, is that too much?

I do have gadgets but all of them have been presents and I buy all my cloths in Primark.

My course was IT - which is the industry I now work in.

I still live with my parents so I don't pay for food

I need my car for work so can't sell it.

I have a job.

I don't know how to invest properly

I have looked at places to emigrate to but getting a job in these places is quite difficult.

I also have my wage in savings which would normally mean a 25% deposit if homes were 4x salary

Do you think I'm lazy, spendthrift and unintelligent? Yet I'm still not in a position where I can afford to buy and there are plenty like me.

Well, cloths OK. But please don't buy your clothes there. Tragic waste of life.