House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

faloos

Domino's Pizza To Launch 'gourmet' Range

I have been saddened over the years by the loss of our Aviation , Train building, along with our once great tradition in engineering and other areas alike etc. Thank God Domino's have stepped in to fill the gap in our industry so that they will take up the slack in employment and skill development for the people. There is always a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Marks and Spencer released some very good food figures the other week.

I found this surprising at first as the shelves of the M&S food halls near me have not been fully stocked for 2 or 3 years now. Where once the food halls were busy most days, and crammed full on Fri and Sat, you can now wander around pretty empty shops.

So how come did they report increased food sales?

Apparently it was all down to their 'dine for two for a tenner' meal deals. The theory being that people can no longer afford to go out so they are opting to get 'something nice' in from M&S.

Dominos annoucing a gourmet range so soon after the M&S results just indicates to me that they are shrewd and are going to try and get a bite - ha ha - of the M&S business.

You know, it probably will work. Might be worth a punt on their shares?

These clowns expected me to pay £16.99 for a medium hawaian!!

For ingredients worth probably about 50p , then not a bad profit ! Extortion !! They may be paying out bankers bonuses to all the board.

If I had to take a slightly jaded guess I'd venture that the "cost of a pizza" (the thin base between input costs and selling price) had more to do with debt servicing costs, lease-'lectrics-labour, insurance premiums and marketing - and about zero to do with the price of condiments.

It makes perfect sense for a one trick pony to attempt to lift the unit price of rides at the beach.

The alternative (${deity} forbid) is the Rise of the Independents.

And, of course, Satan's little elves (in the financial sector) going hungry.

We can't have that now, can we.

Feck me I've never had Dominos. At that price I never will. The U.K is truly a country full of idiots.

I was quoted a large Domino's pizza including all the crap they heap on it costs 47p by a franchisee; that's including 4 toppings and the cheese.

The money you pay is the (obvious) delivery charge and cash to pay for the overheads. They make a fortune, but the franchise costs are huge. £13.99 for equates to less than 50p in processed ingredients. Bargain.

I'm still waiting for Dominos to launch a range of edible pizzas.

Most taste like a piece of grilled corrugated cardboard covered in Kraft cheese slices and ketchup.

Most taste like a piece of grilled corrugated cardboard covered in Kraft cheese slices and ketchup.

It's dirt. And that dirt has finger nail dirt embedded in it. My dog's food is cleaner and better for you.

if you go into a dominos on a busy eveing you will see 15+ staff, thats just in the kitchen... all the equipment, rent, tax, utilities.

The end product is lot better than the competition that the kebab shops offer where the pizzas are very poor generally in my area.

16.99... i've always paid 9.99 and had anysize, anytype... or 2for1 on tuesdays, not that bad when a decent pizza from the supermarket is 4-50ish

Guest spp

I have been saddened over the years by the loss of our Aviation , Train building, along with our once great tradition in engineering and other areas alike etc. Thank God Domino's have stepped in to fill the gap in our industry so that they will take up the slack in employment and skill development for the people. There is always a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

You just couldn't help yourself, could you?

:lol:

They've been doing this here for years , actually they even do a weight loss style pizza range with no cheese on.Why bother?

The "gourmet range" is nothing new. (Teso Finest, Sainsburys Taste the Difference et al)

It's something for the, er, middle classes with some money left to aspire to.

It also means the quality of the "standard" product can reduce (I'm sure Dominos pizzas used to have some cheese and toppings on them way back when), actually, the gourmet range *is* the standard range.

There's no new higher range. There's a new lower range.

It's all in the presentation.

The "gourmet range" is nothing new. (Teso Finest, Sainsburys Taste the Difference et al)

It's something for the, er, middle classes with some money left to aspire to.

It also means the quality of the "standard" product can reduce (I'm sure Dominos pizzas used to have some cheese and toppings on them way back when), actually, the gourmet range *is* the standard range.

There's no new higher range. There's a new lower range.

It's all in the presentation.

Just you wait until they introduce the Pricebeater 'Basics' range...

Just you wait until they introduce the Pricebeater 'Basics' range...

When I was living in the UK I used to buy the '2 for 2.99' pizzas from the local corner store when I felt the urge for carbs, cheese and crap. They were actually pretty good so long as you didn't want anything more than a basic ham and pineapple topping.

+1

Go to Asda. They will make a pizza for you while you wait. 14" pizza for £3 and much tastier than any of that dominos shit.

+1

Go to Asda. They will make a pizza for you while you wait. 14" pizza for £3 and much tastier than any of that dominos shit.

I make my own Pizzas for free. My favourite toppings are gravel and self-sacrifice.

Years ago I went to pick up my Dominos Pizza in Liverpool. To pass the time I watched them making the pizzas in the back of the shop.

It was a "woman" tossing the dough, and I couldn't help but notice her flour-covered, fat, hairy forearms that she used to balance the sticky mixture.

I was nearly sick on the spot.