House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

I'd Have To Sleep With The Lights On In This House

Surely the one place you wouldn't (logically??) find a ghost is in a graveyard? Aren't ghosts meant to haunt their previous abodes, or where they were brutally murdered?

Of course there may have been one or two buried a wee bit early, so maybe you have a point.

Would be ideal for serial killers and murderes alike. Also handy if you pop your clogs as you could just roll out the window into a premade grave.

If I had this place I would be too tempted to wire up a sensor alarm that plays Thriller by MJ each time someone sets it off :D

you could probably have some very interesting house parties there. I can imagine the adams family living in a house like that :blink:

Massive back garden, and the council keeps it neat and tidy for you. Whats not to like?

I wouldn't trust the council to do that. Why are they selling the caretakers lodge in the first place?

Alderley Edge Cemetery

Opened on 27 June 1906 and consists of four acres of land.

The land for this site was purchased from Lord Stanley with the agreement that the land be used for a caretakers/registrars house and walled cemetery.

The cemetery is open from 9.00am to dusk, 365 days of the year.

Link for more + layout plan

Multiple downsides, including the asking price. Even if it did first come to market with a £250,000 asking price.

A public right of way road directly under your bedroom. New owner might have to open the gates and lockup if Macclesfield council makes more cuts. Grim people, mourners or weirdos coming and going, when your own kids are playing in the back garden.

Was reading a while back of Cheshire County Council, or its separate divisions (it split itself a while back, East West and some others) reviewing its land and property holdings, with the suggestion they will be looking at more disposals.

This lady is too isn't happy about CCC's plans to restructure its portfolio, as they want possession of the house back. She's been living alone in it for many years, but not at a full market rate. (see attachment).

alderleyedge_council.jpg

post-12306-0-05063900-1340839668_thumb.jpg

I suspect CCC also own this land. Possibly it's Stockport MBC, but really think it's CCC even though it's on Stockport's side. CCC were certainly in main control of the £90 million (1994-1995 money) Wilmslow-Handforth A34 bypass, which runs right next to the land, which they either owned already or acquired, with Stockport MBC a lessor role.

Whichever council, they've been happy to sit on the land when its value is going up and up over the years, and only when values came under threat did they look to sell.

Left derelict since at least 1995. It first went up for sale on Rightmove, on different listing, in 2008 I think. It's in the greenbelt but there was a white house or building there originally, falling apart in 1995 with almost no roof, so probably explains why permission for a house is allowed. (If a buyer is willing to stump up what is being asked for the land, and there are many nice houses already built available for that sort of money on Hall Moss Lane which then turns into Moor Lane, with so many for sale signs.) This land plot runs right next to the bypass. Awful proposed mansion, and can't see why they couldn't get permission for 2 or 3 smaller houses.

http://www.rightmove...y-20345361.html

DHL_1A.jpg

post-12306-0-88538300-1340843293_thumb.jpg

On the same road as that plot, about 800 metres away, is another farm I'm told is owned by CCC (attached pic). Again empty and derelict from at least 1996. For years a security patrol car would come up, and a guard take a walk to check for.. I don't know what. Maybe that there were no squatters. Wouldn't be surprised if they patrols still come to this day.

CCC (most likely) paying for that patrol, for a derelict farm and land that's been unproductive for 16 years at least. The huge farmhouse was all boarded up with metal sheet grills when I took a look in 1996 as a kid, and it has lots of large outbuildings. I don't think this has ever come to market as yet, but it's only losing saleable value now for the owner I would have thought. There was another CCC plot up for sale nearby but not this one.

I'm told CCC also own another farm a bit further down that road. It was a small working farm last I heard. The farmer woman there ordered us away, saying the road was not a public right of way, when it showed as such on a pathfinder map, together .with other footpaths running off it.

DHL_1B.jpg

post-12306-0-30992700-1340844495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Venger

There were a few disposals of properties back when that bypass 1994-96 was built. Probably they were easy to sell at a fairish price, before HPI made their grip on properties tighter. (Eg: Why sell when it will be worth more next year. Look at what our portfolio is worth.)

There was a house on Hall Moss Lane side, and was a bit run down. (Streeview) I was told the council accepted an offer of £30K on it, which at the time was probably reasonable. A builder spent much of Summer and Autumn 1995 doing it up, and it ended up a really nice home, even it it's next to the bypass.

Now think I was mistaken about Cheshire County Council owning this plot. New information suggests it probably got into the hands of a private developer, either around the time of the bypass build up-to any time in the last few years.

dhl_-mansion.jpg

post-12306-0-26348600-1341239318_thumb.jpg

CCC (most likely) paying for that patrol, for a derelict farm and land that's been unproductive for 16 years at least.

The Alderley Edge Cemetery house owned by CCC looking at disposal. They've announced they're not happy with the 0.8% yield on their entire portfolio, but I think they're trying to get out with good sale prices. Cheshire West and Cheshire Chester also at it. http://www.chesterch...59067-30025853/

It's Cheshire East involved plans to knock down Wilmslow leisure centre and rumours of 350+ homes on it and the fields around it. Maybe they're looking at the sale money they could get for it to a developer, although I'm all for well-built and designed homes being built there, preferably much better than Dean Row / Emerson type houses.

Can't find the link atm, but there was a news story a few weeks ago with a landowner angry that a plot of land, next door to his own, hadn't been advertised for sale by Cheshire Council. Someone had submitted an offer they'd said they accepted for they considered it fair value.

That other farmhouse mentioned still looks to be under CCC ownership. It's their name on the sign. 16+ years empty. I seem to recall some plan for a golf-course around that area, but probably further up on all the land which runs towards and behind Fitness First leisure club, rather than involving this farm and its buildings. Far more derelict than I remembered. I decided against trying to get over the final barrier to get closer to the main farmhouse.

dhl_-001.jpg

dhl_-002.jpg

dhl_-003.jpg

dhl_-004.jpg

dhl_-005.jpg

dhl_-006.jpg

dhl_-007.jpg

dhl_-008.jpg

post-12306-0-93537900-1341240874_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-98681900-1341240888_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-93981500-1341240901_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-93522900-1341240915_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-61810600-1341240929_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-32283500-1341240949_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-59383200-1341240959_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-77002700-1341240974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Venger

Cheshire East again, deciding to cash in more of its property portfolio.

Staff move out as offices to be sold

June 29, 2012

C_71_article_1582263_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?29%2F06%2F2012%2010%3A49%3A36%3A608

The council is moving out the remaining staff from its Wilmslow offices which are being sold for housing. Cheshire East is selling off the Victorian Remenham building and other offices at Chapel Lane as part of its bid to make the most of its main buildings and sell what it doesn’t need.

Read more at: http://menmedia.co.uk/wilmslowexpress/news/s/1582263_staff-move-out-as-offices-to-be-sold

Meanwhile many local Alderley Edge residents must have been in the dark about Cheshire East's attempt to sell off the Cemetery Lodge.

http://www.alderleyedge.com/news/article/6327/path-to-cemetery-will-be-cleared

At present the pavement serving it is in a poor condition, which would also have implications for anyone ever buying the lodge for themselves, unless they were always happy to use a vehicle, but at least it means fewer people walking up to go under any new owner's house. Many of the gravestones have probably been deliberately 'dropped' horizontally for safety reasons. Lots of Health & Safety laws for gravestones came out around 2003 requiring them to be safe, set firmly in foundations, but at a few £000 more expense to whoever is paying.

From the comments section:

• It is a shame that the cemetery lodge is no longer occupied. It therefore has lacked the previous "tlc" it once had. This is a separate issue, with information of the Council's intentions and plans to maintain this to a reasonable standard, being needed.
  • As to occupancy of the Gatehouse; it is in a parlous state...can it be brought back to an habitable state? i do not know...any property people out there who might care to vouchsafe an opinion? or a costing? Difficult to find who might be suitable to occupy a house so close to a cemetery isn't it?
  • Footpath and cemetery? Why improve a footpath to a cemetery if the cemetery is hopeless? Why improve a cemetery if the footpath to it is hopeless? The two go together?

http://www.alderleyedge.com/news/article/6327/path-to-cemetery-will-be-cleared