House Price Crash Forum

Radio 4 Today

HOLA441

I listened to a discussion on R4 at lunch time.The subject was self builds and land availability.They were saying that houses could be built for as little as £40,000.the trouble is the planning system ensures there is little land and what does come up will be from about £60k for a small plot.

That fat tub of lard Pickles reckons his Locality Bill will sort it .Yeah right. So NIMBYS are going to pass plans that will give them more neighbours and reduce the values of their own property.Hold not your breath.

HOLA442

I listened to a discussion on R4 at lunch time.The subject was self builds and land availability.They were saying that houses could be built for as little as £40,000.the trouble is the planning system ensures there is little land and what does come up will be from about £60k for a small plot.

That fat tub of lard Pickles reckons his Locality Bill will sort it .Yeah right. So NIMBYS are going to pass plans that will give them more neighbours and reduce the values of their own property.Hold not your breath.

I might be rambling here,but I thought there was some talk of incentives for locals to get them to not object. I could be wrong, just vaguely recall

HOLA443

I might be rambling here,but I thought there was some talk of incentives for locals to get them to not object. I could be wrong, just vaguely recall

You can't incentivise NIMBYS they have so much money that all they care about is maintaining the status quo and stopping anything that might rock their little worlds.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Well there is. But if a NIMBY doesn't want a new estate of 50 houses to despoil his pretty village, 10-20 grand shared around the whole village is not going to change his mind, is it?

tim

HOLA446

Well there is. But if a NIMBY doesn't want a new estate of 50 houses to despoil his pretty village, 10-20 grand shared around the whole village is not going to change his mind, is it?

tim

No idea tbh, some of those villagers clip coupons for 20p off fish fingers, so there's no way of knowing. Grunt Shatts might have a gameplan, after all he's enough advisers potentially at his disposal to fill Wembley

HOLA447

Mr Shapps has been a disappointment though. He still seems to think the prices are right and that people just need to find new ways of coming up with the money. Or maybe he's just spouting the party line because his banker friends have explained historically normal prices would ruin their livelihoods.