House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

exiges

Train Drivers.. Worth Every Penny

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018465/Train-driver-caught-reading-newspaper-controls.html

As this high-speed commuter train hurtles along the tracks, the driver appears more interested in reading his paper than taking the controls.

This astonishing photo of the First Great Western train driver seems to have caught him with his eyes on a newspaper, rather than focusing on the controls and track signals.

The high-speed train which had departed from Plymouth at 5.53am on July 4, was snapped by Jim Hales, 64, who saidthat he was 'stunned' by what he had apparently seen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018465/Train-driver-caught-reading-newspaper-controls.html#ixzz1T7dMjWvd

Why cant they provide a cctv cam in the cab so the passengers can watch the driver? It would build trust.

Why can't they provide 24/7 cctv cameras of our politicians, police, councilors so that the voting public can watch them? It would build trust.

Utter DM rubbish, there are bad apples everywhere. And what has this got to do with "House prices and the economy"?

Why cant they provide a cctv cam in the cab so the passengers can watch the driver? It would build trust.

Oh wait hold on Bus drivers in HK are monitored by their passengers. Massive speed displays are put on minibuses and screens to CCTV cameras are mounted in bigger buses to show there really is CCTV on board.

Everybody ignores them

The limit is 80kph on HK dual carriage ways since minibuses don't go on those roads and stick to A and B roads.... :)

Utter DM rubbish, there are bad apples everywhere. And what has this got to do with "House prices and the economy"?

Public sector transport unions hold a massive monopoly on certain things, like train driving. Thus they get unionised and demand massive inflation busting wage increases which are unjustified.

Public sector transport unions hold a massive monopoly on certain things, like train driving. Thus they get unionised and demand massive inflation busting wage increases which are unjustified.

Do I need to remind you that the railways were privatised 15 years or more ago?

They should get some proper high speed trains, like the ones in Germany where the passengers can actually watch the driver without any need for CCTV.

4108386224_99daff9c6c_o.jpg

Do I need to remind you that the railways where privatised 15 years or more ago?

Its not really really privatised though is it? Not privatised like the Shinkanshen, the KTX or the MTR is it? Which were left to stand and fall on their own feet.

Its still uber uber subsidised which makes it fake private sector.

They should get some proper high speed trains, like the ones in Germany where the passengers can actually watch the driver without any need for CCTV.

On the Manchester Metro link the drivers always always pull the blinds down on the windows to their cabs so you can't see them.

EVERYTHING is fake private sector in the UK, even the banks... (and the banksters still help themselves to massive bonuses equivalent to many times a train drivers pay).

I could be completely wrong here, but I think that that cabinet by the side of the track is something to do with signalling equipment, implying that the train could be stopped at a signal. Also, that looks like the Dawlish sea wall stretch. It's a long time since I've been that way but it always felt like less than the mentioned 60mph when I did.

Driving a train does seem to be rather highly-paid for what it is. There are lots of rules and regulations and routes to learn but it's not actually a skilled job, just one that requires someone responsible with a good memory. Good pay sounds like a hangover from steam days when keeping a train going well was a skill.

Does it matter though that it is stopped?

A mate of mine in winter took both hands off his motorbike controls at a traffic light to warm up his hands on the crank case. He got 3 points for that, which rolled into an SP30, which rolled into the new drivers act which rolled into a ban.

I'm not a train driver but I'm friends with a few and the rules nowadays are very strict. Reading whilst driving = bye bye job. Listening to the radio/iPod whilst driving = bye bye job. Eating/drinking whilst driving = serious reprimand. Miss a signal = immediately pulled from driving until deemed fit to drive (believe me, this isn't a slap on the wrists it's taken extremely seriously), etc etc. The train looks like he's stopped at a signal. Should he be reading there even when stopped? Nope. Oh and quite a few trains do have cameras in the cabs.

"Driving a train does seem to be rather highly-paid for what it is. There are lots of rules and regulations and routes to learn but it's not actually a skilled job, just one that requires someone responsible with a good memory. Good pay sounds like a hangover from steam days when keeping a train going well was a skill. "

The very high pay is because you'll be working crap shifts with no weekend and if you make a mistake you're pulled from driving. The routes they have to learn are extensive. Again one mistake and you're pulled.

Does it matter though that it is stopped?

A mate of mine in winter took both hands off his motorbike controls at a traffic light to warm up his hands on the crank case. He got 3 points for that, which rolled into an SP30, which rolled into the new drivers act which rolled into a ban.

Not sure I believe that one.

I'm not a train driver but I'm friends with a few and the rules nowadays are very strict. Reading whilst driving = bye bye job. Listening to the radio/iPod whilst driving = bye bye job. Eating/drinking whilst driving = serious reprimand. Miss a signal = immediately pulled from driving until deemed fit to drive (believe me, this isn't a slap on the wrists it's taken extremely seriously), etc etc. The train looks like he's stopped at a signal. Should he be reading there even when stopped? Nope. Oh and quite a few trains do have cameras in the cabs.

"Driving a train does seem to be rather highly-paid for what it is. There are lots of rules and regulations and routes to learn but it's not actually a skilled job, just one that requires someone responsible with a good memory. Good pay sounds like a hangover from steam days when keeping a train going well was a skill. "

The very high pay is because you'll be working crap shifts with no weekend and if you make a mistake you're pulled from driving. The routes they have to learn are extensive. Again one mistake and you're pulled.

Regardless, driving a train seems to be much easier than driving a bus, and train drivers get paid more than bus drivers. On a train, there is no steering wheel, on electric trains, there is no gear stick; and you don't have to look out for pedestrians, obstructions or other traffic to anything like the same extent that you do on the road.

Although they are prohibitively expensive, at least the job is generally done well (well the last few journeys I've made have been punctual and comfortable). It's not as if the train drivers have tricked us into unnecessary overseas wars, hacked our telephones, or needed 100s of billions diverting from normal government spending to save the banks. I too wonder why the train drivers attract such hatred. There are far more worthy targets.

And yet you regularly see bus drivers with radios or earphones.

You would have thought at least quite music would stop boredom creeping in? Although it's also a distraction, catch 22 I suppose.

However it does appear that they are under pressure to be totally perfect.

Regardless, driving a train seems to be much easier than driving a bus, and train drivers get paid more than bus drivers. On a train, there is no steering wheel, on electric trains, there is no gear stick; and you don't have to look out for pedestrians, obstructions or other traffic to anything like the same extent that you do on the road.

I'm not going to get dragged into a huge debate on this but you're comparing apples to oranges.

TRAIN DRIVER SACKED FOR HOLIDAY CANNABIS

A TRAIN driver sacked for admitting he had smoked cannabis while on holiday yesterday claimed a moral victory after an industrial tribunal ruled he was unfairly dismissed.

Alan Robertson confessed that he had used the drug two months before the train he was driving was involved in a minor accident at Edinburgh's Waverley Station. An employment tribunal ruled the company was wrong to sack Robertson, from Inverness, but decided that he should not be allowed to return to his job because he had contributed to his dismissal.

Robertson, who had worked for ScotRail since 1984, said: "I feel quite bitter but I believe I won a moral victory for all ScotRail staff."

Robertson, 38, said he thought smoking drugs while on holiday had nothing to do with his employer and was "a matter of personal freedom".

A ScotRail spokesman said: "Safety on the railways is an issue that should not require any debate."

Its not really really privatised though is it? Not privatised like the Shinkanshen, the KTX or the MTR is it? Which were left to stand and fall on their own feet.

+1

the amount of subsidy in the railways is extremely high

see my link:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165893&st=0&p=3039305entry3039305

and yet they earn less in other westerrn countries for the same responsibility

However it does appear that they are under pressure to be totally perfect.

This is the issue. Because of computerisation everything is logged and reviewed.