House Price Crash Forum

What Do You Use To Read Ebooks?

'Bart'

I'm really looking forward to an Internet interface that can't show movement. I might get rid of the main landline/router if I like it.

adblock does that for me. Along with some simple settings to disable things like animated images.

My e-reader also has a web browser, but unfortunately it's not much good. Maybe I should try porting a real browser to it? Hmmm ...

The B&N Nooks seem to get good press, anyone used one?

Good question. Nooks seem to be limited to the US so I've no idea how good they are.

When you say Ebooks does this include PDF's?

Yes, I've seen ebooks for sale that were just in PDF format, although PDF isn't really suited to the likes of the Kindle etc.

What Do You Use To Read Ebooks?

My eyes.

There's always one. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't that be e-eyes? (Or are they only used in "Old MacDonald had a Farm"?)

Expect Apple to come out with iEyes, available in a range of funky colours.

adblock does that for me. Along with some simple settings to disable things like animated images.

My e-reader also has a web browser, but unfortunately it's not much good. Maybe I should try porting a real browser to it? Hmmm ...

The kindle has a webkit based browser already, which is the safari and chrome use. I know it's possible to install Debian on the Kindle and who knows what's available if you end up down that hacking route.

The kindle has a webkit based browser already, which is the safari and chrome use. I know it's possible to install Debian on the Kindle and who knows what's available if you end up down that hacking route.

Easier on a more open system than on one that has to be jailbroken before you start hacking. But whatever you or I post here is idle speculation until we actually do something.

(FWIW I do have debian installed and runnable on my pocket-puter - aka smartphone. But no use for it since I got a full gcc toolchain running natively. Nor would I expect any port to improve on the native browser, which is very nicely optimised for the small screen).

I think the iPad or similar sized Android tablet would be the best choice for those kind of books.

Do you have a link for that firmware, I'd like to have a go with it.

The Sony font does look very delicate and wishy washy compared to the font options on the Kindle.

I like the 650 because of it's aluminum construction and touch screen but the lack of font options (and connectivity) are definite minus points IMO.

What e-reader do you use?

Sorry, I just looked but I can't find it now. You'll have to trawl the mobileread.com forums, which is where I found the instructions.

Sorry, I just looked but I can't find it now. You'll have to trawl the mobileread.com forums, which is where I found the instructions.

No worries, as long as I know where to start looking.

Archived