House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

What Do You Use To Read Ebooks?

HPCers are a "with it", go getting bunch. Do you read ebooks and if so, what do you use to read them?

(You can select multiple options if required.)

EDIT: Added Android tablet and PC/Mac as an option.

HPCers are a "with it", go getting bunch. Do you read ebooks and if so, what do you use to read them?

(You can select multiple options if required.)

EDIT: Added Android tablet and PC/Mac as an option.

I find that I can read textbooks on an ipad but after a while reading none PDF documents starts to feel like hard work due to the backlight screen. I think at some point I will end up with a kindle for normal books but I can't justify it just yet.

Read ebooks on my Ubuntu netbook in bed. You get used to it.

Like Durch, no more room for books and they are a pain when you move.

Bart, have you been overwhelmed by advertising like me? I've just ordered a Kindle 3G - free 3G for "life".

It suddenly struck me that I'm running out of room for books - and for the first time instead of looking delightfully bohemian and intellectual, my books are suddenly looking like loads of dusty VHS boxes. It's a total mind-changer.

Running out of space was my reason for buying a kindle. One of my mates came down from London and took all my books - she normally buys books by the yard and doesn't read them, but likes my old ones as they're rather highbrow and look good!:lol:

Ive got a couple of thousands books in boxes which, i cannot be arsed unpacking.

[i think thats a pyscological thing to do with renting/roosting. It would be one of the first things i did, if i had my own place. Set them out on some decent shelves.]

Ive not gotten into the reading books electronically. I have an android Galaxy and have downloaded a few freebies. But its just a fad for me.

I find that I can read textbooks on an ipad but after a while reading none PDF documents starts to feel like hard work due to the backlight screen.

I don't own an iPad but a friend of mine had access to one for a while and we met up to compare it with my Kindle/Sony devices (in an averagely lit bar).

During the afternoon there was daylight so the eInk readers looked OK. As it got dimmer, the iPad won out for readability.

I like eInk but it really needs plenty of light, otherwise the "paper" starts to look a bit green/gray.

Bart, have you been overwhelmed by advertising like me? I've just ordered a Kindle 3G - free 3G for "life".

Not quite, although I do own the same 3G Kindle. Good choice BTW. Definitely a better screen than my Sony PRS-650.

I got mine a while back, partly as I was having trouble reading conventional book text for any length of time. Since my cataract eye ops this isn't a problem any more but I like the idea of less clutter.

I have a Kindle I bought for going on holiday with and it's fine for that, although you miss out on being able to swap books once you have finished them.

I find the screen a bit too small for technical books though, and PDFs that weren't designed for an eBook reader (which seems to be most of them) look very odd and are a pain to navigate. I bet the iPad is better for this though as you can use your fingers to pan & zoom.

I find the screen a bit too small for technical books though, and PDFs that weren't designed for an eBook reader (which seems to be most of them) look very odd and are a pain to navigate. I bet the iPad is better for this though as you can use your fingers to pan & zoom.

I wouldn't even try to read a PDF on a Kindle or other similar sized ebook reader.

I've seen PDFs on the iPad (some of the Ospray military history books which are very graphically orientated) and the larger screen (and the colour) made a hell of a lot of difference.

The poll is broken

You've got two specific e-readers, but no general category for those of us who think e-ink matters and insist on a decent reader that doesn't tie us down. Lumping the best platforms with smartphones - which are hopeless for serious reading - doesn't cut it.

Lumping the best platforms with smartphones - which are hopeless for serious reading - doesn't cut it.

I'm more interested in an overview of what people are using, not which is the best platform. I've looked at an ebook on an iPhone and wasn't impressed, but other people seem to like this option.

I need to get something easier to use than my laptop. ipad looks nice, undecided. It's less books and more technical documents and electronics books that I'd want to read. Kindle wont handle those.

I don't own an iPad but a friend of mine had access to one for a while and we met up to compare it with my Kindle/Sony devices (in an averagely lit bar).

During the afternoon there was daylight so the eInk readers looked OK. As it got dimmer, the iPad won out for readability.

I like eInk but it really needs plenty of light, otherwise the "paper" starts to look a bit green/gray.

Not quite, although I do own the same 3G Kindle. Good choice BTW. Definitely a better screen than my Sony PRS-650.

I got mine a while back, partly as I was having trouble reading conventional book text for any length of time. Since my cataract eye ops this isn't a problem any more but I like the idea of less clutter.

E-readers have been such a boon for me. What superb products. I ordered both the Sony and the Kindle to see which was best, and used them both for several weeks.

AFAIK the screen on the Kindle and Sony is identical and from the same manufacturer. The only difference is the font rendering and page layout. Out of the box the Kindle looked better and I found the Sony font horrible. But then I found some custom firmware for the Sony that lets you install alternative fonts and customize the page layout. The end result was so good (like looking at a printed book) that I decided to ebay the Kindle and keep the Sony. I also preferred its more compact layout without a keyboard.

The Kindle's wireless interface, where you can just email a book or PDF to your device is outstanding. I really miss that. If you don't like hacking about with software on a device then a Kindle is the way to go.

I couldn't be doing with an iPad. I often see iPad users trying to find a shady spot in the park that lets them see what they're reading :)

Kindle for me, just for the 'free' 3G. Managed to keep track of the Tour De France Time Trial on Saturday using Twitter over it :-D

For any Ebook collection I recommend download installing the free Calibre, an awesome bit of software. If you've got a PC running 24/7, (or even just on demand) then the news feeds to ebook feature is great. I've currently got it set up pull down the telegraph.co.uk & freakomics blogs and send them over wifi to my user@free.kindle.com address.

I'm more interested in an overview of what people are using, not which is the best platform. I've looked at an ebook on an iPhone and wasn't impressed, but other people seem to like this option.

Well, I'm using an e-reader that isn't on your list, and lacks an appropriate general category.

I occasionally look at books on a 'puter or smartphone too, but not for the pleasure of reading.

Thanks for such a useful post.

Another great tip is to use the bookmarklet from kindlebility or readability

If you've ever used the readability bookmarklets to strip a webpage down to just an article then kindlebility does the same thing with added kindle forwarding. It creates a bookmarket that sends the webpage article direct to your free kindle address. (make sure you set up the their email address within the kindle management to allow it forward).

NB: To completely stop the chance of abuse I've my max charge set to 0.00p

I need to get something easier to use than my laptop. ipad looks nice, undecided. It's less books and more technical documents and electronics books that I'd want to read. Kindle wont handle those.

I think the iPad or similar sized Android tablet would be the best choice for those kind of books.

Out of the box the Kindle looked better and I found the Sony font horrible. But then I found some custom firmware for the Sony that lets you install alternative fonts and customize the page layout. The end result was so good (like looking at a printed book) that I decided to ebay the Kindle and keep the Sony.

Do you have a link for that firmware, I'd like to have a go with it.

The Sony font does look very delicate and wishy washy compared to the font options on the Kindle.

I like the 650 because of it's aluminum construction and touch screen but the lack of font options (and connectivity) are definite minus points IMO.

Well, I'm using an e-reader that isn't on your list, and lacks an appropriate general category.

What e-reader do you use?

What e-reader do you use?

This one.

But that's neither here nor there. It's one of a number available that have the most important key feature of an e-ink screen. That makes it broadly comparable to the kindle, sony, irex, iriver, bookeen, etc, etc, but absolutely not comparable to devices with conventional screens, such as desktops, laptops, tablets or smartphones.

But that's neither here nor there. It's one of a number available that have the most important key feature of an e-ink screen.

The thing is, the poll asks "What reader do you use to read ebooks?". As someone who may be called on at some point to produce ebooks professionally, it's interesting to see what devices are currently the most popular. The type of display they use is irrelevant from that perspective I'm afraid.

I bought a Kindle and a Sony 650 partly to use to test ebook output, not because they had eInk screens. I figured they would be amongst the most widely sold devices. I may have to get an iPad for much the same reason. Popularity.

Much as web designers try and make their web pages compatible with the most popular browsers and may forsake testing with browsers such as Konqueror for no other reason than that they are not widely used.

If ibooks has a dominant market share, that makes it of more interest to me than other devices, regardless of the screen technology it runs on.

Speaking personally I would like to see eInk screens do well against the Apple juggernaut. But if they don't, c’est la vie.

Although the iPad has the backlit screen, it does have the appeal of being more than a one-trick pony.

Reading books on a phone is OK-ish if say, you're stuck in a commute and there's sod all to do for an hour. Depends on how much kit you want to be carrying around.

The thing is, the poll asks "What reader do you use to read ebooks?". As someone who may be called on at some point to produce ebooks professionally, it's interesting to see what devices are currently the most popular. The type of display they use is irrelevant from that perspective I'm afraid.

So, you produce books to the regular standard formats!

Unfortunately there are several, not least because Amazon refuse to play standards (which is tied up with the chief reason I ruled out getting a kindle: I don't want them having the kind of control over me they exercised when they erased customers' fully-paid books without notice). So you should support several. Fortunately that's straightforward if you select as starting point a format that can be converted, such as ODF (which I use for book-writing, though I don't know the gory details of what happens at my publisher).

Gutenberg have it right: they offer a choice of formats and leave selection to their readers. I select the epub books for my reader, though it'll display others just fine.

So, you produce books to the regular standard formats!

I think the intention is to produce ePUB and Kindle versions. It's one of those plans that's been on the horizon for a long time and may stay there for a good while yet.

If there were a colour Kindle that had free wifi and 3g for life

There is frequent talk of a colour eInk screen. Might be available in a year or two is my guess.

Not sure about fold out screens. They were mooted but don't seem to have made the jump into actual production. Maybe they broke too easily?

There is frequent talk of a colour eInk screen. Might be available in a year or two is my guess.

Not sure about fold out screens. They were mooted but don't seem to have made the jump into actual production. Maybe they broke too easily?

I'm happy with black&white. Thinking back over my years in computing, I value certain developments in display technology, but the coming of colour features pretty low on that list. Certainly below the move to VDUs and then to flat screens, the rise in resolution, and the reduction in flicker.

I suspect the bigger thing that's holding back e-ink is slow response times: they're totally useless for things like movies and gaming. Which suits me just fine: on the (very) rare occasions I want something moving on screen I can use another device.