House Price Crash Forum
benbfc

Manchester And Surrounding Advice!...

All,

Me and the Mrs currently in rented (FTB's) in a 3bed semi near, nice short commute into work but houses are 220-240 around us (for no real reason - 2003/4 prices were 130). So we have 25k deposit, dont want to overstrech ourselves so 160-170k max (so a mortgage of 145-155).

We are after a 2/3bed semi, off road parking, hopefully a garage and a garden. Don't really want to be over 30 mins commute (i leave for work at 7ish so should be ok). Must be near a train station for her as we only run 1 car.

Safe, greenish area would be good, a few pubs and places to eat also good. I think with the budget above I should be looking at houses on for 200?

Areas?.....

Chorlton

Gatley

Urmston

Flixton

Sale and Alty - discounted as I hate washway road!

Prestwich

Cheadle

Swinton (bit rough?)

Romiley

Bredbury

What are peoples views? Any more suggestions?

I'm familiar with Romiley.It has a railway station,with direct links to Manchester Piccadiily,but not(IIRC)Stockport,though there are buses.Semis start at about £150K.Avoid the Cherry Tree Estate area,which is dodgy.Some semis in the Highfield/Overdale area,but that's on an estate,which is a bit iffy in parts.Sandy Lane and roads off that are pretty good.There's a detached on Sandy Lane for £160K,and for £175K you can sometimes get a detached with garden and garage in Richmond Road area,which is quiet.(Many house sales there are because the elderly owner has died.)

I went to Bredbury this weekend..it's good in parts(friend has just bought a 19th Century cottage there,for £150K.)You'd need some local knowledge to find out the best bits.

Very familiar with High Lane.It's a nightmare to commute(drive) in the direction of Manchester during the rush hours though.There is a station,but it's down Middlewood Road,and the walk's a bit creepy after dark.Nice village though,good Primary Schools,some good pubs,allotments,scout troop,a canal,long cycle path down Middlewood Way for kids.Pleasant community atmosphere,a Village Hall,civilised inhabitants generally.Noticed a semi on Russell Avenue for £158K,where you may hear a bit of traffic noise,as it's not far from the A6.Semi on Alderdale for £160K.No 'bad' areas as such,though Parkside Close is best avoided,as it's got council houses on.

We are after a 2/3bed semi, off road parking, hopefully a garage and a garden. Don't really want to be over 30 mins commute (i leave for work at 7ish so should be ok). Must be near a train station for her as we only run 1 car.

Safe, greenish area would be good, a few pubs and places to eat also good. I think with the budget above I should be looking at houses on for 200?

Areas?

You don't say where you work, so it's hard to advise.

However. http://www.mapnificent.net/manchester/ is an interesting site as you can plug in your and her places of work, and find areas within reasonable commuting time of both. The limitation is that it assumes you commute by bus or tram, and not car or train. Maybe they'll fix that someday, but until then it's probably only of curiosity value to you.