House Price Crash Forum

Cable Calls For 'imaginative' Printy Printy And Low £

HOLA441

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/24/uk-cable-bank-idUKTRE76N0R420110724

"It is about the Bank of England pursuing policies of low interest rates, which also help keep our exchange rate down and help exports, but also using expansion, quantitative easing in more imaginative ways, not just in acquiring government securities."

"The problem we have is not simply getting growth started again, but it's getting (it) started in a sustainable way. That means it has got to come through business investment, through exports, manufacturing and we are putting in place policies to make sure that happens."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

low interest rates in a low inflation environment works

low interest rates in a high inflation environment caused by quantitative easing doesnt work.

the ***t

As I said before, next election the only hope is to vote in local, genuine independents (if such exist) and get rid of this lot once and for all

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Time to get remaining assests out of Sterling then before they crash it another 30%. Question is besides gold what other options are then? The $ and Euro look equally weak - how long before the ECB start printing too?

Suppose could try opening a foreign currency account. Anyone know of any interest paying Swiss Franc saving accounts?

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/international/deposits.htm?merchant=citi

http://www.investec.co.uk/#home/deposits_and_banking_services.html

"It is about the Bank of England pursuing policies of low interest rates, which also help keep our exchange rate down and help exports, but also using expansion, quantitative easing in more imaginative ways, not just in acquiring government securities."

"The problem we have is not simply getting growth started again, but it's getting (it) started in a sustainable way. That means it has got to come through business investment, through exports, manufacturing and we are putting in place policies to make sure that happens."

HOLA447
HOLA448

Maybe he means using using QE to invest in building new houses? This is good.

Certainly he supports low interest rates to keep the Pound low and falling. This is also good. (I'm 98% out of the Gbp!)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Time to get remaining assests out of Sterling then before they crash it another 30%. Question is besides gold what other options are then? The $ and Euro look equally weak - how long before the ECB start printing too?

Suppose could try opening a foreign currency account. Anyone know of any interest paying Swiss Franc saving accounts?

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/international/deposits.htm?merchant=citi

http://www.investec.co.uk/#home/deposits_and_banking_services.html

I'm thinking what you're thinking. As an expat I can't afford exposure to the pound any more. But where to put it? According to the Big Mac Index there don't seem to be many 'hard' currencies that are especially worth buying into, CHFs in particular look way over-priced.

HOLA4413

Just what we need, yet more inflation. Perhaps I should invest wheelbarrows so people can buy a loaf bread in future!

Did the person standing in for Marr ask about inflation, food prices etc? Did he ask what will happen to the UK if the USA defaults? Did he ask any questions that really need answering or did it seem he'd not ask Cable anything that might reveal a shrug of the shoulders could be his only course of action?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

times are hard.

People are short of readies.

This means the reality for many is that there is a shortage of money.

clearly, we can alleviate that shortage by issuing more.

So what is the point of working then.....to pay taxes, and to invest/save for the future that eventually becomes worthless. :unsure:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I'm thinking what you're thinking. As an expat I can't afford exposure to the pound any more. But where to put it? According to the Big Mac Index there don't seem to be many 'hard' currencies that are especially worth buying into, CHFs in particular look way over-priced.

I'm thinking what you guys are thinking, already got a currency account set up with hsbc but agree everyone seems to be saying the CHF is overpriced. What the hell do we do, it's bloody scary. I was thinking supermarket shares seem pretty stable but then consensus seems to be the stock market is overvalued is well.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm thinking what you guys are thinking, already got a currency account set up with hsbc but agree everyone seems to be saying the CHF is overpriced. What the hell do we do, it's bloody scary. I was thinking supermarket shares seem pretty stable but then consensus seems to be the stock market is overvalued is well.

Scrappy...I've left an answer to your question on the Investment thread.

Cheers

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It has taken about a year for Cable to go from HPC poster boy to numpty.

I seem to recall a change of government with the Tories in power were going to sort out HPI too...and that nice John Redwood got a thread all of his own from some troll on this site because he "really understands" your house price concerns! They've trashed our savings and they haven't even got going yet.

Edited by clockslinger

HOLA4423

1 CHF is overpriced until we have 15-20pc inflation and they don't, leading to more devaluation here leading to more inflation. Postfinance.ch offers interest, or there is even a Credit Suisse a/c offering 2.5pc until Xmas I think.

2 Why not hold Gold?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425