House Price Crash Forum

Jobs Dropping Like Flies

HOLA441

I've tried to take the evidence of job losses on the news blog with a pinch of salt - but now I really have to accept that there is something very serious happening.

A friend just found out she has lost her job at a large pharmaceutical company - along with a lot of other people there. I imagine this one will make the news too. Very sad. These are highly-skilled, well-paid, wealth-creating jobs being lost, not just - and I hesitate to use the term when we're talking about people's livelihood - chaff. Things are not looking good at all.

HOLA442
I've tried to take the evidence of job losses on the news blog with a pinch of salt - but now I really have to accept that there is something very serious happening.

A friend just found out she has lost her job at a large pharmaceutical company - along with a lot of other people there. I imagine this one will make the news too. Very sad. These are highly-skilled, well-paid, wealth-creating jobs being lost, not just - and I hesitate to use the term when we're talking about people's livelihood - chaff. Things are not looking good at all.

Been happening since 2001 IMHO low interest rates have masked this for most folk.

2006 will be a desperate year for a lot of folk

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

A similar experience: Had Sunday lunch recently when the talk turned to jobs... out of the three people that are currently in work (all different sectors and all highly qualified), one is in a company which has just announced that redundancies will be made, another was being taken over by another company and expected the job to disappear as they amalgamate, and me whose ticking along.

Ok, three is a small sample.. but when it's in one family it has a big impact, and it enforced my suspicions that things are could get very rough.

HOLA448

Jobs situation not too bad in W Wales as most jobs here are directly or indirectly propped up by Government spending, or people avoid entering the job market through sickness benefit, permanent training schemes, etc. What things will look like when Gordon turns the tap off I dread to think! I only ever work for private sector clients thankfully - I've been put off by the public sector managers I've dealt with in the past - totally vile.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA449

El_Pirata, pinch of salt?

It is wierd how the effect of one friend/relative can confirm the sound of warning bells whilst meanwhile 1,000's are going on a regular basis. It may explain why some people in sectors associated with housing and friends of the same ilk have been completely ignorant of what has been happening in large parts of the rest of the economy for a long time.

BA - axe up to 15% of staff

Boots merger - 1,000 jobs

NTL/Telewest as high as 1 in 4 of 19,000

HOLA4410
El_Pirata, pinch of salt?

It is wierd how the effect of one friend/relative can confirm the sound of warning bells whilst meanwhile 1,000's are going on a regular basis. It may explain why some people in sectors associated with housing and friends of the same ilk have been completely ignorant of what has been happening in large parts of the rest of the economy for a long time.

BA - axe up to 15% of staff

Boots merger - 1,000 jobs

NTL/Telewest as high as 1 in 4 of 19,000

Perhaps El_Pirara was a shirehorse in a past life.

So many 'lemmings' out there, standing at the cliff face.......

Edited by Live_in_hope

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You are right there Boots just announced up to 1000 check out redundancies. Has she tried Superdrug? :unsure:

Jobs situation not too bad in W Wales as most jobs here are directly or indirectly propped up by Government spending, or people avoid entering the job market through sickness benefit, permanent training schemes, etc. What things will look like when Gordon turns the tap off I dread to think! I only ever work for private sector clients thankfully - I've been put off by the public sector managers I've dealt with in the past - totally vile.

West Wales - they got the Pot Noodle factories there so jobs pretty secure in a down turn... after all we all need to eat...

... something!

HOLA4415
Perhaps El_Pirara was a shirehorse in a past life.

So many 'lemmings' out there, standing at the cliff face.......

pinch of salt - didn't explain myself clearly - what I should have said is that as the newsblog is inherently biased, it doesn't show jobs being created, so I don't regard it as a particularly great indicator of the health of the jobs market.

But the relentless flow of redundancy news and now friends getting laid off makes it hard for me to argue to myself that something isn't going horribly wrong.

HOLA4416
pinch of salt - didn't explain myself clearly - what I should have said is that as the newsblog is inherently biased, it doesn't show jobs being created, so I don't regard it as a particularly great indicator of the health of the jobs market.

Indeed, Gordon Brown has been busy creating nearly 2000 creative jobs a week over the last 12 months.

HOLA4417

But the relentless flow of redundancy news and now friends getting laid off makes it hard for me to argue to myself that something isn't going horribly wrong.

Sure the blog is skewed, but then when you look at the jobs being created - firstly the gov. is keeping quiet about how many non-jobs it is creating and most of the others are relocations of exisitng jobs, a select few of the big retailers opening a new store, the odd saving of jobs with new orders and the like, very few big investments with new productive work. Actually I think your way of thinking might be quite relevant, a bit like propagation of BTL through the public's mindset - oh look so and so at theparty last night said he was on his way to being retiring at 40, yada, yada, but in reverse as people realise through their own relatives/friends that things aren;t quite as rosy as they thought. Seeing spurs near the top of the table should be an indication of living in strange times in itself. :D

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4418

Employment in the public sector rose by 95,000 in the year to June 2005, compared with an increase of 113,000 in the previous year to June 2004.

The largest increase in public sector employment in the year to June 2005 was in health and social services (up by 60,000 employees). There were also increases in education (19,000), in public administration (17,000), and in the police service (including civilians) (12,000).

When asked if they worked for the Government 27% of workers replied "Yes" - though official figures are lower. However many workers i.e. Doctors are not 'directly' employed.

Public worker pay is now substantially higher than private sector pay ( and that's not including their generally much better pension and sickness benifits).

Edited by ILBB

HOLA4419

Its the recession..

I have lost a job in this recession..

back in 1999.. Maufacturing of Electronics into an export market..

Company no longer exists..

The strong pound took care of that job and many others like it.

Then in 2001, after september 11th another massive crisis hit my new job..

IT working for an airline.... .com and 911..

Ouch..

Granted I kept my job that time.. but hundreds of others in a site with only a few hundred in it didn't..

after a couple of years of doing a job of what had been four people all on my lonesome I tried to recall what a weekend was.. couldn't afford to live in the area anyway..

and returned to Devon..

Now.. I work for a company I picked and I interviewed them back during the interview..

If not recession proof (no one is..) they are better placed then most..

We have been in a recession since 1999...

The housing boom and debt bubble pumped enough money into the economy to make it appear otherwise...

and job losses have been picked up in the public sector..

We have bought our way out of the recession.. but because we did so by using debt... all of the recession factors are still effecting the economy.. and will be revealed as people now pay of debt..

look at my footer..

The housing boom has made no money.. it has moved money about and caused massive borrowing..

it happened for a reason.. and that was the country needing people to spend massivly..

25 year loans to buy cars holidays and furniture..

That is what mewing has meant..

Those people that have done so cannot be better of..

Paying for a car over 25 years can never,,, ever,,,, not ever... be considered to be anything but financial suicide..

they had fun for a few years.. but they have to understand that by doing so they were accepting to pay for this over 25 years..

I feel bad for those loosing their jobs now..

I was at least shielded when I lost mine by an artificial economy..

Now that has gone..

The magicians curtain has been pulled back to reveal the trick and it wasn't a very clever one..

an economy based on smoke and mirrors and the compliant and the niave entering into massive debt..

Edited by apom