House Price Crash Forum

If Banks Insist In A Damp Proof Course....

HOLA441
HOLA442

Will banks accept dry-lining as a suitable alternative to damp proof injection methods as a solution to damp?

Or are there any other methods they will accept?

No, because they aren't both solutions to the same problem.

An injection damp proof costs peanuts (in house maintenance terms), what's the problem with doing one?

tim

HOLA443

Cheers Tim.

I've been doing a lot of reseach and it appears that although companies give out 20 year guarantee certificates.

It is not uncommon for the DPC to fail before the end of this period.

I have discovered that holding companies to this 'guarantee' if every 5/10 years they start trading under a different name, rendering your 'guarantee' as useless.

I have spoken to a friend who is a builder who has worked with DPC injection chemicals in the past and he believes them to be prone to failure.

He has recommended that a dry-line system would be the better option.

I respect his opinion and trust his judgement over some companies who only have a financial interest.

Getting him to do a dry-lining is likely to be effective and cheaper.

The injection process isn't too expensive. But the plastering is due to the time.

No, because they aren't both solutions to the same problem.

An injection damp proof costs peanuts (in house maintenance terms), what's the problem with doing one?

tim

HOLA444

Why not ask your bank for approved and non approved methods and acceptable products, you could ask for approved builders to do the work. This is the only way yuo will know if the bank will apprilove it.

Trying to second guess a bank is harder than trying to convince merv the swerve to raise IRs

HOLA445

Why not ask your bank for approved and non approved methods and acceptable products, you could ask for approved builders to do the work. This is the only way yuo will know if the bank will apprilove it.

Trying to second guess a bank is harder than trying to convince merv the swerve to raise IRs

Fair point that Monkey! I'm just being a little impatient - trying to second-guess the result of the survey .

HOLA446

Cheers Tim.

I've been doing a lot of reseach and it appears that although companies give out 20 year guarantee certificates.

It is not uncommon for the DPC to fail before the end of this period.

I have discovered that holding companies to this 'guarantee' if every 5/10 years they start trading under a different name, rendering your 'guarantee' as useless.

I have spoken to a friend who is a builder who has worked with DPC injection chemicals in the past and he believes them to be prone to failure.

He has recommended that a dry-line system would be the better option.

Ask him how dry lining stops the damp coming up from the ground.

It can't possibly do this

tim

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Cheers Telometer - interesting reading!

Yes they did use a moisture meter and the readings came back very high in places.

I can't believe they still get away with using them despite it being well documented that they are inaccurate!