House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinzano Bianco

Heating Oil

Hi all,

We are moving to a lovely new rented house out in the sticks. Great place, great garden, great price, with the downside being oil fired central heating.

The house itself is well costructed (in the 90s) and appears well insulated etc. but with all that said, it is still a small concern...

This is the first place I will have lived that I need to buy heating oil for, so I am looking for advice on where to source it. I have heard that villages or neighbours would often belong to some sort of club, to reduce delivery costs. Are there any online resources that you can recommend for large groups, or is this likely to be more localised?

I am not sure where to start, so any advice gratefully received!

TIA!

Get a local directory, or ask a neighbour. It maybe that the last guy to fill up the tank has put his sticker on it. You will also see lots of heating lorries driving around. Good to ring around. If you buy alot say over 1000 litres at a time it might be a little cheaper(not much though), but you need to weigh that against the chances of your heating oil being knicked, whcih is very common. During last winter oil prices shot up purely because oil lorries were getting stuck and would only go out if it was worth it, so assess how easy/hard it is for a lorry to get to your place.

When I had oil I used this chap who supplies countrywide:

http://www.yobco.co.uk/

He seemed very fair and would say if he thought his price was worth buying or not. We were in Scotland and at first his price was much cheaper but it seemed like he was squeezed out by firms up there only quoting him too high a price.

Never wait until you actually need oil in winter better to plan ahead. If it's a bad winter and they get busy it can take a while to get in the queue for a delivery, particularly when the roads are bad and deliveries cancelled.

I hope your oil boiler is in the garage not in the kitchen. We found it to be very smelly, particularly when it was windy. It seemed to blow fumes back into the house.

I hated having all that money in the garden and although we never had an oil theft, there were some in the area. As oil prices increase that situation might get worse.

I hope your oil boiler is in the garage not in the kitchen. We found it to be very smelly, particularly when it was windy. It seemed to blow fumes back into the house.

I'd be a bit worried about that. My parents have oil-fired heating and the only time there was ever any smell from it was when something broke in the old boiler.

Hi all,

We are moving to a lovely new rented house out in the sticks. Great place, great garden, great price, with the downside being oil fired central heating.

The house itself is well costructed (in the 90s) and appears well insulated etc. but with all that said, it is still a small concern...

This is the first place I will have lived that I need to buy heating oil for, so I am looking for advice on where to source it. I have heard that villages or neighbours would often belong to some sort of club, to reduce delivery costs. Are there any online resources that you can recommend for large groups, or is this likely to be more localised?

I am not sure where to start, so any advice gratefully received!

TIA!

I use boilerjuice.com

Easy to use, you get a decent price.

I use boilerjuice.com

Easy to use, you get a decent price.

Seconded. Unfortunately, whilst I am generally skeptical of sites like this, they are really actually as cheap if not cheaper than setting up an individual account with an individual company. Although, of course, bulk buying as a whole village may well be even better.

Other thing to say is that many companies now do not deliver through a house, ie the pipe from the tanker is not allowed to pass through a house anymore (e.g. for access to the rear garden).

And a boiler really shouldn't smell much!!!

I'd be a bit worried about that. My parents have oil-fired heating and the only time there was ever any smell from it was when something broke in the old boiler.

We had oil fired heating when we were kids. When it broke my dad would rip the boiler to pieces - I remember the smell of it now.

I don't have oil powered heating but if I did and I was looking for the cheapest source of fuel I would be looking for somebody who drove a Ford Transit van, lived in a caravan and spoke in a southern Irish accent. ;)

Thanks for all your replies so far!

The plan, I guess, is to knock on a few doors in the street when we move into the house, and just check what other people do I guess. Luckily the tank is at the back of the house, and cannot be easily reached or seen from the road, so I guess the theft thing is less of a worry.... I shall also be topping up on a few more boxes of Eley Grand Prix :)

I don't have oil powered heating but if I did and I was looking for the cheapest source of fuel I would be looking for somebody who drove a Ford Transit van, lived in a caravan and spoke in a southern Irish accent. ;)

You'd give a penny to one of those theiving wastes of oxygen? Yet go ballistic about some Amy Winehouse comments.

Unbelievable.