House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

What To Do At Stansted Airport If There For 6 Hours Overnight?

Due to a late night flight arrival and the fact I'm not going to be able to leave for my onward journey for about 6 hours from midnight to 6am or so, what is there to do in Stansted Airport on the public (not airside) part of the building? Anywhere open all night? Can you even buy a newspaper or coffee? Any advice on this one gratefully received as I'm dreading it.

Cheers.

I once arrived there at about 2am and had several hours to kill before a 6am take-off. I just wildly overestimated the time needed to get there, though as I was starting from Devon there were a lot of things that potentially could have gone wrong. My recollection (though this was in 2001 or '02, i.e. a very long time ago) is that there are a few shops and eateries in the landside area, but that they didn't open until around 5am. Bring a couple of books, I guess.

Due to a late night flight arrival and the fact I'm not going to be able to leave for my onward journey for about 6 hours from midnight to 6am or so, what is there to do in Stansted Airport on the public (not airside) part of the building? Anywhere open all night? Can you even buy a newspaper or coffee? Any advice on this one gratefully received as I'm dreading it.

Cheers.

Smack

Tell people you are a Bombadier.

Have done this so many times over the last 4 years. So unless it's changed over the last 3 weeks, I can tell you that on the 'public side' of the airport, both the Costa and the Burger King are open 24 hours. They are either side of where the arrivals come through.

I once arrived there at about 2am and had several hours to kill before a 6am take-off. I just wildly overestimated the time needed to get there, though as I was starting from Devon there were a lot of things that potentially could have gone wrong. My recollection (though this was in 2001 or '02, i.e. a very long time ago) is that there are a few shops and eateries in the landside area, but that they didn't open until around 5am. Bring a couple of books, I guess.

It's a fair old bit of a way, from Devon. Soton or B/mth airports I think are your nearest but they don't fly to many places

This website is crap, many links like the contact us doesnt work on Firefox for example and links go to missing pages.

http://www.stanstedairport.com/

I dont think much is open to be honest, might be something open airside, theres a McDonalds on the A120 thats open 24hr but you'd need a taxi to get there, or you could head to the motorway services on the M11 roundabout. If theres nothing open in the airport you might find something open in Bishop's Stortford, but best bet is ask the taxi drivers they are more up to date with whats going on around there than I am.

Thanks for that info check

Just sleep.:rolleyes:

I can't sleep in public places

Had you thought of earning some money off a captive audience. Busking, selling jewellery, half price orgasms...that sort of thing.

I could make jewellery out of paperclips and sell them on in Essex as handcrafted by the descendants of Polish Piasts from ye olde offices of the Polish villages, yes

Smack

Last time I passed through Stansted an adolescent security girl with a foreign accent stopped me and swabbed my baggage for explosive traces :rolleyes: - was tempted to say "I don't mind being searched for drugs but implying I'm a terrorist is just plain insulting"

Tell people you are a Bombadier.

I had to look that up, X-rated http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bombadier

Have done this so many times over the last 4 years. So unless it's changed over the last 3 weeks, I can tell you that on the 'public side' of the airport, both the Costa and the Burger King are open 24 hours. They are either side of where the arrivals come through.

Thanks, relieved !

This website is crap, many links like the contact us doesnt work on Firefox for example and links go to missing pages.

http://www.stanstedairport.com/

I'm partially responsible for that site, so while I'm not too worried that you found it crap, I am disappointed it wasn't functional. I'm not management or PR, so I'm not going to say "I'm sorry that on this occasion..." etc. I'm engineering, so just tell me - specifically - what went wrong, so I can get it fixed. (Browser version & fault encountered with the Contact Us page, and broken links list would be good.) The links bit is especially irritating, as we're meant to be capturing these little buggers.

OP: sorry for the hijack and sorry I can't help with your original question.

Another thread derail here. I've got an early flight out of Luton on Thursday. Will be travelling up on the train from St Pancras and these seem to go every hour through the night. Would I be better off killing 6 hours in St Pancras or Luton airport?

I'm partially responsible for that site, so while I'm not too worried that you found it crap, I am disappointed it wasn't functional. I'm not management or PR, so I'm not going to say "I'm sorry that on this occasion..." etc. I'm engineering, so just tell me - specifically - what went wrong, so I can get it fixed. (Browser version & fault encountered with the Contact Us page, and broken links list would be good.) The links bit is especially irritating, as we're meant to be capturing these little buggers.

OP: sorry for the hijack and sorry I can't help with your original question.

Small world eh :lol:

Good tips on that site there, thank you

Now who's thread was it that was looking for inactives? Was it Daiking?

This is pretty impressive. Joined '04. 8 posts. 2 of which I've seen today. What is the record?

Not I.

I think I remember what you mean though. Someone far more paranoid than I who suspected those type of posters were Labourlist sleepers or something. Could have been Bruce :lol:

Good tips on that site there, thank you

I recall reading about it once whilst looking for travel tips on MSE (cringe) on a thread about can you sleep at XXX airport and someone linked to that site.

I have never slept at an airport.

I recall reading about it once whilst looking for travel tips on MSE (cringe) on a thread about can you sleep at XXX airport and someone linked to that site.

I have never slept at an airport.

It's a good site, but I doubt I'll be sleeping there, a few cups of tea and a read in WH Smith will probably keep me busy for 5 or 6 hours

I dont think the authorities have spotted the regulars who sleep there rent free as well! :lol:

There are probably worse places to stay over at!

Another thread derail here. I've got an early flight out of Luton on Thursday. Will be travelling up on the train from St Pancras and these seem to go every hour through the night. Would I be better off killing 6 hours in St Pancras or Luton airport?

It's generally good advice to spend as little time in Luton as possible.

Although do bear in mind that the train station is nowhere near the airport.

It has the same relationship to Luton Airport as Luton has to London.

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/content/2/122/by-rail.html

It's generally good advice to spend as little time in Luton as possible.

Although do bear in mind that the train station is nowhere near the airport.

It has the same relationship to Luton Airport as Luton has to London.

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/content/2/122/by-rail.html

I've walked Luton Airport Parkway to Luton Airport before. It's not too far. I'm no fan of Luton (but the area around Kings Cross / St Pancras isn't exactly my favourite either). I think I'll spend most of tonight in St. Pancras and get a train around 03:30. Just can't be doing with catching night buses across half of London and security will kick me out of my office at 11.