House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Retail Sales Surge By A Whopping 0.2% In A Year

Compared with June 2010, sales were up 0.2%

All the various closing down sales (e.g. TJ Hughes) might account for that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14231273

Retail sales recovered slightly in June as stores started their summer sales early to attract customers, official figures have shown.

Compared with June 2010, sales were up 0.2%.

It comes after sales declined by a revised 1.5% in May from April.

0.2% is not very good is it...certainly not with our quickly rising population.

Retail sales recovered slightly in June as stores started their summer sales early to attract customers, official figures have shown.

0.2% of what pounds or sold units?

Usual meaningless BBC dribble, devoid of any real facts.

If the increase is in pounds then it's well below inflation, so a fall in real terms.

Wow the economy is back on it feet can we have a interest rate rise now!

And there prices compare to Amazons?

Did you ask if they are breaking even?

They will have a sales/income stream related to to their cost base.

Every attempt has been made to keep the cost base up (or even more inflated) so their margins should be getting slaughtered, of course they may still be breaking even but their volume will be reducing, may need to put up prices even further above and boynd input price increases to maintain this position.

Good news is the bankrupt of england are keep vigilent (ie actively prmoting inflation) and waiting in thw wings if the population dare push for more wages. :lol:

And there prices compare to Amazons?

Did you ask if they are breaking even?

They are being killed by Az & Ebay price war, it is impossible for them to compete. This week I noticed that Tescos now has a bigger trade -in / used game section in the local 24 hr store. Argos are stopping their attempt in this market.

Trade-in prices are so low that folks put them on ebay /boot sales themselves, or just give to charity shops. Some pc & ps2 games trade-in are paying 10-20p

I didn't ask if they are breaking even, but I should have done. I know their rent is £5000 a week.

They are part of the Game / Gamestation duopoly. A recent trend is that staff are being swapped between the shops

Anyone know if they take account of inflation in that growth? Or is it just like for like in terms of pounds? In which case it would be a shrinkage in real terms, not growth.

Where I live, in the south-east (the hub of UK commerce) the economy certainly isn't growing from the look of the local high streets I visit, so I'd be interested to know where is?!

Inflation is not removed before posting those figures. They represent a fall in sales by any version of stats you wish to discuss. Inlfation is quite high in some sectors - energy, food and commodities like cotton. So the figures are not just a statement of a stagnant Britain, they sound the alarm bell for the return of recession. Untill we stop papering over the mess with pretend money we will not recover. The Greece situation is a but a microcosm of the overall picture. They cannot pay their INTEREST on loans, so the ECB issues a new credit card. It's a house of cards and alredy is a default. THEY COULD NOT PAY - THAT'S DEFAULT.

Only stores dealing in the ultra cheap are doing well, like SportDirect and the Pound shops. The rest have found a very cool wind in the last 6 weeks. I happen to know about one which I shouldn't - although you heard M & S sales were alright for the last Qtr, they are actually dire in the last 6 weeks and that is not reflected in the figures in the news recently which were just about OK sounding. A manager I know said sales had 'fallen off a cliff' and were very wobbly in a lot of the business excluding food.

Gulp!

So, if inflation is at around 5% and sales are up 0.2%, then in actual fact we are looking at a approx. 4.8% fall in sales. Not a pretty picture for retailers or the economy.

And we might be looking at a world without Game/Gamestation, naturally, why pay £45 for a game when you can wait a day and get it at least £10 cheaper on Amazon, or wait a few weeks and get it £20+ cheaper on Ebay?

Or a world without M&S!? Personally I find that harder to visualise. I presume they'd downsize, but then I guess that depends on if they're loaded down with debt or not? Plus if they own their properties I wouldn't give them much chance of offloading it at break even in the current commercial property market.

I think we can now put to bed the idea of a recovery, certainly as far as the high street in concerned. Hard to imagine what the streets will look like in a few years if this keeps up.

These are volume figures not value; inflation has nothing to do with it.