House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Pay Discrepancy

I just wondered how others would approach this situation.

Basically I have learnt that other employees, exactly as qualified and with the same job description as myself, are earning a couple of thousand pounds a year extra. I only yesterday signed a new contract, but even the new amount I signed for is more than I was being paid.

I have to assume it could be anything from an honest mistake to unfair practice.

Basically I have learnt that other employees, exactly as qualified and with the same job description as myself, are earning a couple of thousand pounds a year extra. I only yesterday signed a new contract, but even the new amount I signed for is more than I was being paid.

I have to assume it could be anything from an honest mistake to unfair practice.

Story of my life :huh: (at least, the parts of it I've spent working for UK companies)

Unless you're on the right side of anti-discrimination law (as in black/female among white/male colleagues), or have an effective trade union, you're on your own.

Story of my life :huh: (at least, the parts of it I've spent working for UK companies)

Unless you're on the right side of anti-discrimination law (as in black/female among white/male colleagues), or have an effective trade union, you're on your own.

Go back a step - at the moment I don't even know if it is 'discrimation' or not yet, :)

Go back a step - at the moment I don't even know if it is 'discrimation' or not yet, :)

It might be if someone can make the case for it. But I'd expect that to be a waste of time trying unless you can point to a legally-protected attribute in your genes. Unless you can call management's bluff, which is where a good union comes in. Or perhaps lawyer - but then they benefit at the expense of both the company and yourself.

Q Why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with what you were getting paid ?

Q Why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with what you were getting paid ?

I only found out today others were getting paid more. I wasn't entirely happy with the pay, but the choices were "like it or lump it", so...

It all depends on your negotiation skills. I managed to negociate a 15% pay rise 3 years ago when the whole company was told pay rises were frozen.

Find out why these people get paid more than you. If there is no reason ask your boss for the same money or a very good reason not to

It all depends on your negotiation skills. I managed to negociate a 15% pay rise 3 years ago when the whole company was told pay rises were frozen.

Find out why these people get paid more than you. If there is no reason ask your boss for the same money or a very good reason not to

I only found out today others were getting paid more. I wasn't entirely happy with the pay, but the choices were "like it or lump it", so...

Are you sure the other people are exactly equivalent ? For example some may have previous experience in other jobs etc.

It's very rare for people to have precisely equivalent skills.

Can you come up with any ideas as to why these other people might be paid more ?

Are you sure the other people are exactly equivalent ? For example some may have previous experience in other jobs etc.

It's very rare for people to have precisely equivalent skills.

Can you come up with any ideas as to why these other people might be paid more ?

We all are/were apprentices who qualified recently, and the company recently made a big show of getting hold of everyone's certificates as they were moving to a qualification based pay system.

No idea other than they want me out.

Have an afternoon off booked later in the week and squeeze a haircut in the day before. At lunchtime.

:)

Haircut was done last week :D