House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scrappycocco

The Weather Lately

Since 2007(?) every Summer seems to start off amazing and just fizzle out. I want spring back.

Must be good for the crops though ;)

Well it was St Swithins Day last Friday.

'St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain

For forty days it will remain

St. Swithin's day if thou be fair

For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.'

Since 2007(?) every Summer seems to start off amazing and just fizzle out. I want spring back.

Must be good for the crops though ;)

Every time I feel like moaning about another rainy summer, I think of the drought in East Africa and think, well, probably better to have the wet stuff than not.

Daughter was working in that part of Ethiopia 2 yrs ago and it was pretty horrendous even then. With a cholera outbreak thrown in.

Every time I feel like moaning about another rainy summer, I think of the drought in East Africa and think, well, probably better to have the wet stuff than not.

Daughter was working in that part of Ethiopia 2 yrs ago and it was pretty horrendous even then. With a cholera outbreak thrown in.

Exactly, sometimes you have to see a good thing for what it is and get over yourself! (Including myself!)

Bright, sunny and warm all day today!

Our reservoir levels were already low (for the season) before the exceptionally dry March/April. They're still well below where they should be, but a couple more wet weeks could bring us up to the level of the reference drought year 1995.

Total.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks something strange is going on with the weather?

Grey skies for most of the year punctuated by about ten days of quite nice weather over the summer months, but not consecutively so it's hard to make plans to go camping. Then by September it has got too cold again.

Seems mostly normal to me.

Back and forth between the UK and Poland - SW Poland has been mostly 32C+ for the past month. But 1 or 2 mega thunderstorms over the past 10 days and some flooding. The area was seriously flooded in 1997, thankfully nowhere near those levels yet.

Today was a chilly by comparison at 24C but it'll probably heat up again before July is out. When I was here a couple of years ago in the autumn it was unbearably hot. Then suddenly it all changes and snow flakes fall quite often in early November - snow tyres have to go on and the winter is bitterly, bitingly cold, unlike any part of the southern UK, and it snows and it snows every day. Similarly when there's rain here, it can go on with hardly a pause for 2 days.

Global warming, perchance?B)

Perchance.

Meanwhile, in America, they're having a bit of a heat wave and some people are trying to pin that on global warming.

It's very flexible like that.

Guest Control

Perchance.

Meanwhile, in America, they're having a bit of a heat wave and some people are trying to pin that on global warming.

It's very flexible like that.

Wonk on the radio the other day explaining why disruptions to one mechanism, the jet stream, can be responsible for diverse sets of unusual weather patterns around the globe like those here and the U.S.. Seemed plausible to me, but I'm not a climate scientist.

Sunny today!

Actually got tan lines from cycling which proves you can get some UV exposure when its overcast if you are out long enough.

Wonk on the radio the other day explaining why disruptions to one mechanism, the jet stream, can be responsible for diverse sets of unusual weather patterns around the globe like those here and the U.S.. Seemed plausible to me, but I'm not a climate scientist.

In fairness, you could easily present a plausible global warming narrative that accounts for weather being unusually hot and dry in one place and cold and wet in another. Especially if you have the luxury or working retrospectively.

On the other side of the argument, even if a net global warming is responsible for the highs and the lows that doesn't prove that the bulk of the warming is human induced. Climate patterns change, with or without human input.

On top of that, if a narrative is so malleable it can be shaped retrospectively to 'explain' all possible outcomes you'll never be able to falsify it, even if it is wrong

Guest eight

Our reservoir levels were already low (for the season) before the exceptionally dry March/April. They're still well below where they should be, but a couple more wet weeks could bring us up to the level of the reference drought year 1995.

Why is 1995 the reference drought year? Is this something to do with the EU water agenda?

Edit: Meant EU, typed UN.

Global warming? When some of the models used don't even account for atmospheric circulation?

If their models were of any use, they would have been predicted this kind of shift, and we would have been having warnings in the middle of the drought about the probability of abnormally prolonged and heavy rainfall, and we'd have all been skeptical, "Yeah right!". And then we'd have to eat humble pie in April.

That's the only use of the scientific method - to make predictions. The AGW modelers are still trying to fit their models to proxy measurements from the past.

:D so it was this crap last year?

Was this in your favorites waiting to pounce?

I bring this to peoples attention because I suspect some won't check this was started a year ago.

Guest eight

Was this in your favorites waiting to pounce?

I bring this to peoples attention because I suspect some won't check this was started a year ago.

Telling though isn't it.

We entered this year in a supposed drought, yet threads like this are empirical evidence that last year was sopping wet as well. Wonder where all the water went? Probably "the wrong sort of rain"......