House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milton

Amazon.co.uk. [Beware Next Time You Buy Online.]

Just bought something from Amazon.co.uk

If you are a regular user, I just click checkout, next , next, next etc.

However this time, A box comes up with the usual postage options. I normally use the Free 3-4 days delivery option.

This time in the same box was a new option, asking if you would like your parcel to be sent via Amazon Prime.

Which means FREE next day delivery.

I clicked on yes at first. But then, something caught my eye, and I clicked back...........

At the bottom of the pop up, it says terms and conditions.

Which I then clicked on.

The small print informed me that I will have FREE next day delivery on the next four items I purchase, but after that, if I do not CANCEL Amazon Prime, which I am automatically subscribed to, then £49 will automatically be taken from my account to pay for Amazon Prime for the rest of the year.

I wonder, if the bean counters, who come up with these SCAMS, take into account in their equations, the number of people who will think f*** you too, and have a look at Ebay first next time? Or Play.com etc?

There will obviously be a lot of people who get caught out with this. Which is obviously Amazon's plan.

Its not creative, its just sharp practice.

They have been trying to get people to sign up to this for a few years but, until now, it was a case of you have to sign up first.... so really sneaky of them to turn it **** over tit... and automatically subscribe you...

I ordered a couple of things from Amazon in the last month after a gap of a few years... and I was a tad shocked how quickly things go through now... it seems some of the steps have disappeared... I have felt uneasy as I felt everything happened to fast...

They have been trying to get people to sign up to this for a few years but, until now, it was a case of you have to sign up first.... so really sneaky of them to turn it **** over tit... and automatically subscribe you...

That what I dont like.

It should not be allowed.

[Play.com just added to bookmarks.]

Just bought something from Amazon.co.uk

If you are a regular user, I just click checkout, next , next, next etc.

However this time, A box comes up with the usual postage options. I normally use the Free 3-4 days delivery option.

This time in the same box was a new option, asking if you would like your parcel to be sent via Amazon Prime.

Which means FREE next day delivery.

I clicked on yes at first. But then, something caught my eye, and I clicked back...........

At the bottom of the pop up, it says terms and conditions.

Which I then clicked on.

The small print informed me that I will have FREE next day delivery on the next four items I purchase, but after that, if I do not CANCEL Amazon Prime, which I am automatically subscribed to, then £49 will automatically be taken from my account to pay for Amazon Prime for the rest of the year.

I wonder, if the bean counters, who come up with these SCAMS, take into account in their equations, the number of people who will think f*** you too, and have a look at Ebay first next time? Or Play.com etc?

There will obviously be a lot of people who get caught out with this. Which is obviously Amazon's plan.

Its not creative, its just sharp practice.

Nice one, thanks for that. I ordered a high value product a while back and was offered Amazon Prime for a free trial so I went along with it. Never realised I would have to cancel.

I only ordered three things since and I just logged into my account and cancelled Prime. Got an instant email telling me they are refunding me £41 so nice one, cheers.

This is the power of the "nudge" technique. Be warned, Dave n Osborne want to implement it for govt matters too,

Almost makes Ryanair look a decent operator.

I love amazon

Me too. 'One-click' is a mite lethal, though.

Will watch for that prime thing, though, thanks OP.

I've never had any trouble with them so far, inc. ordering from 'used' sellers, though for used I prefer to use abebooks if poss.

Got several barely-used books for an OU course from abe recently for 1p each + postage. :) Plus have found on abe some really ancient, long-lost books that have been out of print for decades.

Also like being able to order from US amazon and get stuff sent to my sister within a couple of days.

Is it like costco where you sign up to executive and get 3% off all purchases given in the form of vouchers?

It's just to do with delivery as far as I know.

Useful if you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but otherwise, forget it.

I'm a semi-regular buyer from them so I will keep an eye out for this next time I order.

If you buy stuff from them every few weeks then Prime can actually save you a lot of money.

The big downside for me is that you are then pretty much committed to buying X amount of stuff from them. Given how clever they are I wouldnt be surprised if they nudge up the prices you see to take account of that.

In the past people have found a few cases where Amazon will show slightly different prices to someone logged in vs someone on a different PC that is not logged in to an Amazon account.

Got caught with something similar by experian - didn't cancel after free credit check, didn't check my credit card for months - cost about £80.

After the free month I have carried on paying £6-99 every month since 2008 but I intended to carry on doing so. To date stopped 3 attempts at ID theft, companies checking my credit rating without my permission before sending unsolicited financial offers by mail, and email alerts when certain viewings are suspicious.

Nice one, thanks for that.

Will watch for that prime thing, though, thanks OP.

YW.

You've to 'opt out' of stuff these days, rather than 'opting in'

Its low, and it's designed to catch people out.

I shouldn't think they care.

I work on large websites and it is like this, one site was particularly bad and in the end I refused to work on it and was moved on to something else.

A recent example we had, and unfortunately I'm going to have to be rather vague on the detail, I was asked to remove a key bit of information from the products on a site, something everybody would ask when purchasing this sort of item. The clients idea was that removing it would mean an up turn in solid inquiries (getting a contact phone number or email) which to be fair has happened, however it was about 10 minutes after the change that we got a feedback email telling us how crap the site was because we didn't display the said information.

Like everything on the internet it's a numbers game, yes they will piss off X% of the visitors but they have also increased the value of visits.

I love amazon

me too 90% of the time price and reviews cannot be beaten as well as product description.

me too 90% of the time price and reviews cannot be beaten as well as product description.

Figure, Air, Plucked? :P

I like amazon, (just checked my Prime status: You are currently not a member of Amazon Prime. Click here to sign up. )

anyway, I do notice they change their prices quite a lot. Was watching a TV on my Wish list and it's moved up from £506 to £602 recently, though other TV's have not).

I do like play.com too.

Anyone wanting to buy dvds, cds or games:-

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk

http://www.find-cd.co.uk

http://www.find-games.co.uk

fair comment but honestly if i think of all my internet purchases this year very few aren't from amazon, and any 'big ticket' item certainly comes from there (even a shed i got)!

obviously just personal observation.

After the free month I have carried on paying £6-99 every month since 2008 but I intended to carry on doing so. To date stopped 3 attempts at ID theft, companies checking my credit rating without my permission before sending unsolicited financial offers by mail, and email alerts when certain viewings are suspicious.

The way they sign you up is very dubious though. Same thign happened to me. Did find it useful but not that useful. And Ia lso found out they have to provide you with a basic check for a minimal cost anyway. Think it is a basic legal requirement. Dont make the link obvious on their homepage of course. Was noted on another thread on here a few weeks back.

I called up to cancel, as you cannot do it online. Actually finding the process/number on their site is also rather more difficult to do so.

Charlie - just call up and say you want to cancel - they immediatley offer you the same service for 3.99 IIRC. ;)

I declined but it is a bit more decent value that the 6.99.