House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashConnoisseur

Chinese Counterfeiting Extends To Full-Blown Fake Apple Retail Stoer [Sic]

Are the Chinese culturally incapable of creating anything original apart from English spelling and grammar? Will they ever be able to compete on anything other than price?

'Chinese counterfeiting extends to full-blown fake Apple retail stores':

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/chinese_counterfeiting_extends_to_full_blown_fake_apple_retail_stores.html

Extremely detailed knock-off Apple retail stores, complete with blue t-shirt-wearing employees claiming to work for the company, have been discovered in China.

More photos at BirdAbroad:

http://birdabroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/are-you-listening-steve-jobs/

Being the curious types that we are, we struck up some conversation with these salespeople who, hand to God, all genuinely think they work for Apple. I tried to imagine the training that they went to when they were hired, in which they were pitched some big speech about how they were working for this innovative, global company – when really they’re just filling the pockets of some shyster living in a prefab mansion outside the city by standing around a fake store disinterestedly selling what may or may not be actual Apple products that fell off the back of a truck somewhere.

IMG_6529.JPG

:lol:

The Chinese annoy me most of the time but this one is quite funny. You have to hand it to them, they do have a sense of humour. And this could not be happening to a more deserving company.

I genuinely believe that they are not capable of innovation. It could be a cultural problem, but it could even be genetic: for thousands of years their "tall poppies" have been culled by a feudal system which kept people in their place. Although the Chinese are clever they have inadvertently bred innovation out of their makeup.

I have worked with Chinese engineers on joint projects. In junior positions they listen and obey but don't chip in with their own ideas; in senior positions they resent any idea they didn't have themselves. And I'm talking American-Chinese here, born and bred. In exactly the same meeting the Chinese will throw a strop if their proposals are in any way challenged and a European-American boss will say, "You're a genius! That idea is so good I'm going to write my name at the top." (Tongue-in-cheek the one time it was said to me.)

Perhaps the Greeks need to follow suit?

Are they selling good quality fakes as well or if Apple manufacturers in China are they doing extra shifts to fill these types of stores?

i reckjon it's genuine apple stuff withouth the license, or a mix of both :blink:

The difference between some apple premium retailer stores and apple stores can be a little slim at times, okay they are legitimate knock off's (I think). But these stores look great!

Don't underestimate the Chinese, I am sure they can innovate with the best of them. Anywhere you have large consumer demand for a particular product/branding (or service?), that isn't available for one reason or another, you'll get knock off's to fill the void, be it in China, or the UK...

Just look at films, music or literature which is only released in a given country - it doesn't take long before these ip protected pieces of work find their way across borders, especially if there is a lot of hype, and local demand for it.

I genuinely believe that they are not capable of innovation. It could be a cultural problem, but it could even be genetic: for thousands of years their "tall poppies" have been culled by a feudal system which kept people in their place. Although the Chinese are clever they have inadvertently bred innovation out of their makeup.

I have worked with Chinese engineers on joint projects. In junior positions they listen and obey but don't chip in with their own ideas; in senior positions they resent any idea they didn't have themselves. And I'm talking American-Chinese here, born and bred. In exactly the same meeting the Chinese will throw a strop if their proposals are in any way challenged and a European-American boss will say, "You're a genius! That idea is so good I'm going to write my name at the top." (Tongue-in-cheek the one time it was said to me.)

they are at a different stage of economic development. people were saying the same things about japan, and south korea. why would they develop value added industries when they dont have the industry to start with.

why create a brand of fridges or TV's when people dont have fridges or TV's. its only once youve reached a certain stage of development do you move onto other areas. you need to walk before you can run.

they are at a different stage of economic development. people were saying the same things about japan, and south korea. why would they develop value added industries when they dont have the industry to start with.

why create a brand of fridges or TV's when people dont have fridges or TV's. its only once youve reached a certain stage of development do you move onto other areas. you need to walk before you can run.

Is there any actual innovation in Japan or South Korea? I don't just mean doing something cheaper or faster, but doing something genuinely new. What have they actually invented and taken to market in a big way? Ever?

Is there any actual innovation in Japan or South Korea? I don't just mean doing something cheaper or faster, but doing something genuinely new. What have they actually invented and taken to market in a big way? Ever?

Subway_chin_rest.jpg

Subway_Hat.jpg

Eyedrop_funnels.jpg

Ever-ready_tissues.jpg

ten-in-one-gardening-tool.jpg

Is the stoer full of smug nerds with mobile pdq's telling confused 70 year olds how to resize a jpeg and attach it to an email?

ot but serious question - what are your views on black african people?

SONY Walkman/Minidisc

Issey Miyake

Yojhi Yamamoto

Sushi

Nintendo - original NES, SNES, Gameboy, Wii

Sony - Walkman, CD (part of), home video cameras, Blu-Ray, PlayStation, Playstation Eye Toy (first motion tracking camera)

Drifting - that driving sideways thing is lead by Japanese drivers and cars.

Lots of other car stuff - Mazda first to win Le Mans with a rotary engine, Honda - many winning F1 engines, Toyota - first successful hybrid (Prius).

Kanban manufacturing - now widely used in the best western companies. Just in Time manufacturing is part of this.

Robotics - lead the world in research, e.g. that Honda robot that looks like a small spaceman.

Yeah, can't think of much really. ;)

South Korea maybe not so much but they are very, very good at semi conductor manufacture.

Nintendo - original NES, SNES, Gameboy, Wii

Sony - Walkman, CD (part of), home video cameras, Blu-Ray, PlayStation, Playstation Eye Toy (first motion tracking camera)

Drifting - that driving sideways thing is lead by Japanese drivers and cars.

Lots of other car stuff - Mazda first to win Le Mans with a rotary engine, Honda - many winning F1 engines, Toyota - first successful hybrid (Prius).

Kanban manufacturing - now widely used in the best western companies. Just in Time manufacturing is part of this.

Robotics - lead the world in research, e.g. that Honda robot that looks like a small spaceman.

Yeah, can't think of much really. ;)

South Korea maybe not so much but they are very, very good at semi conductor manufacture.

Nah, all that stuff is just refinements to British inventions

Nah, all that stuff is just refinements to British inventions

Makes you proud to be British.

I remember the last time I felt like this it was when I discovered the Northern Rock together mortgage. Such innovation such genius.

The Easterners should give it now really they'll never surpass our innovative genius.

Are the Chinese culturally incapable of creating anything original apart from English spelling and grammar? Will they ever be able to compete on anything other than price?

'Chinese counterfeiting extends to full-blown fake Apple retail stores':

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/chinese_counterfeiting_extends_to_full_blown_fake_apple_retail_stores.html

More photos at BirdAbroad:

http://birdabroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/are-you-listening-steve-jobs/

In the Middle East the Chinese have a dreadful reputation and yes they get contracts based on price only. In return you get ripped off and have to spend twice as much getting a European, US, or Korean contractor to sort the problem out.

Was talking to a guy the other day whose Saudi Firm are using Chinese subbies and they rue the day they got involved with them. The dishonesty even shocks the arabs! :blink:

Bukaka

I genuinely believe that they are not capable of innovation.

Guess they took a back seat after gunpowder.

PerryPatent.jpg

Big Hmmmmm.

That graph's meaningless unless you're comparing patents granted under a single system. In the US most patents go through almost unchallenged, whilst many Chinese patents consist of stuff already patented in the US and Europe. Japanese patents are slightly different again, but closer to the European system.

A better comparison would be European patents granted to companies from each region. The results would be much closer, I think.

I'm not a big fan of the Chinese. I've got a Chinese guy in my team, I have to explain everything 5 times because he will never say when he doesn't understand something. Apparently their culture restricts them from appearing to not understand, but they find it perfectly acceptable to ask you the same question every day for a fortnight. Bizzare.

On the innovation thing - they can not innovate. I have close first hand experience with a number of Chinese engineers. Ask them to review the literature and they'll do a blindingly good job. Ask them to apply it or build on it and they fail badly most of the time.

ot but serious question - what are your views on black african people?

Don't tell me you have a graph of patents applied for for each nation in Africa showing how their innovative nature knocks the UK into a cocked hat?