House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

That Giant Patient Database

Talking to a doctor today and his pet hate is the patient database Blair tried to implement - so your records could be accessed anywhere.

He said in Italy they just wrote some software so the computers in one region could talk to the computers in another region. Job done.

And he also said it's mostly the oldies who get seriously sick - they don't move about. They don't want to go to other hospitals, they want the nearest one to them, and it doesn't matter if their notes include every cough and cold they had or broken leg - as it's the revelant treatment they're having at the moment that's the important bit.

It is really stupid when you think about how our systems work. I'm on the GP upstair's computer for my main records. The FPC downstairs doesn't pass on any info about what they give me or BP results upstairs. You could stretch a bit of co-ax between the two and have pony chat running ...

Talking to a doctor today and his pet hate is the patient database Blair tried to implement - so your records could be accessed anywhere.

He said in Italy they just wrote some software so the computers in one region could talk to the computers in another region. Job done.

And he also said it's mostly the oldies who get seriously sick - they don't move about. They don't want to go to other hospitals, they want the nearest one to them, and it doesn't matter if their notes include every cough and cold they had or broken leg - as it's the revelant treatment they're having at the moment that's the important bit.

It is really stupid when you think about how our systems work. I'm on the GP upstair's computer for my main records. The FPC downstairs doesn't pass on any info about what they give me or BP results upstairs. You could stretch a bit of co-ax between the two and have pony chat running ...

Yeah, but that wouldn't allow the bobby on the beat to access your medical records in real time ;).

You are missing the important bit, whereby vast amounts of cash are handed over to IT consultants.

I worked on that project for a while - most of the IT people brought in thought it was stupid too.

But them that pays the bills wanted it done, and i'm not principled enough to turn down paid work because i think they're asking for something thats bloody stupid.

I am told that the NHS in Swansea spends tens of thousands of pounds per year shuttling patient records between hospitals by taxi.

I know numerous people who have been referred from one hospital to another, go for an appointment and then the Docs can't do anything because the patient records have not arrived.

Multiple this across the UK and there must be squillions being wasted.

The problem with the NHS project is that they tried to reinvent stuff you could buy off the shelf and, with a bit of tweaking, get up and running quickly.

All that really bad Prince 2 bull IMPO.

Lots of other places put the patient in charge of the records. You are responsible for taking them with you, and moving your scans between appointments etc.

If you get knocked down by a car tomorrow, the ambulancemen having access to your records could mean the difference between life and death (or zombiedom). That kind of scenario provides the justification for it.

Having said that, there's no justification for making a mountain of this molehill. Not rocket science to provide GPs with a web server and secure it. Evan add a central [identity ==> GP] database if that doesn't smell too much of Big Brother. There are inherent security advantages to this approach: being simple and well-understood means there's less to go wrong (the KISS principle), and an individual GP's database is not such a high-value target as a big central monstrosity.

If you get knocked down by a car tomorrow, the ambulancemen having access to your records could mean the difference between life and death (or zombiedom). That kind of scenario provides the justification for it.

Anything that affects what a paramedic would do to you unconcious should be written on a band around your wrist.

spend the 200bn they pissed up the wall on it on something more useful.

I am told that the NHS in Swansea spends tens of thousands of pounds per year shuttling patient records between hospitals by taxi.

I know numerous people who have been referred from one hospital to another, go for an appointment and then the Docs can't do anything because the patient records have not arrived.

Multiple this across the UK and there must be squillions being wasted.

The problem with the NHS project is that they tried to reinvent stuff you could buy off the shelf and, with a bit of tweaking, get up and running quickly.

All that really bad Prince 2 bull IMPO.

My notes failed to make it 30 metres, same building, same floor. This was after they'd had two days warning to go and get the bloody things!

I work with these systems, it's a screw up on so many levels its hard to know where to start. A bad idea, they paid far too much money, and the suppliers still managed to deliver a pile of crap. I calculated that for the cost of our system - thats the central purchase cost plus the implementation, training and consultancy paid for by all the local trusts - they could have given every single staff member a brand new Mercedes instead! (not that thats ever likely to happen)

Lets just enter a fantasy land for a minute where it all works as advertised and your doctor can connect to this mega-database and look things up in a jiffy...

Now lets say you need a blood transfusion and the mega-database says you were tested 6 years ago at a hospital in Liverpool and are [Rhesus Negative].

Your doctor now has a decision to make:

1) Trust the database and go ahead with the transfusion, knowing that if the data is wrong (i.e. was for a different person with the same name) and you subsequently die the doctor will be held responsible and could be found clinically negligent by the BMA.

2) Ignore the database and get your blood tested like they always have done.

I think we all know he is going to choose option 2) which begs the question - WHAT IS THE POINT?

And this is a really simple procedure, it only gets worse for more complex cases.

(There is a third option which is to make the Doctor in Liverpool responsible for any other doctor screwing up as a result of his data entry, but thats never likely to fly either)

Having said that, there's no justification for making a mountain of this molehill. Not rocket science to provide GPs with a web server and secure it. Evan add a central [identity ==> GP] database if that doesn't smell too much of Big Brother. There are inherent security advantages to this approach: being simple and well-understood means there's less to go wrong (the KISS principle), and an individual GP's database is not such a high-value target as a big central monstrosity.

The EPR is also really useful when Grandma falls off the coach when she's on holiday.:o

The EPR is also really useful when Grandma falls off the coach when she's on holiday.:o

That one is also easily held off (mostly). Just ring up the patient's GP and get a notes/drugs summary faxed through to the department. Only works during working hours of course, but that really isn't all that awful, is it?

That one is also easily held off (mostly). Just ring up the patient's GP and get a notes/drugs summary faxed through to the department. Only works during working hours of course, but that really isn't all that awful, is it?

Anything you are allergic to can be written on a tiny bracelet thing.

If you are on special meds that could also be written on!

There's a whole range of medic alert stuff.

What might a paramedic need to know?

You're allergic to asprin? Or that you broke your leg in 2001?